Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > so hows the MagSafe port?

so hows the MagSafe port?
Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 12:18 AM

is it as cool as it seems?

do you think it will be durable?

how about some high res pics?

lets hear about it

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Blizzake
is it as cool as it seems?

do you think it will be durable?

how about some high res pics?

lets hear about it

Well, I just got my MBP 2.16 this evening. The magsafe is cool, very cool. It can be flipped either way. It have a very small diode for the color changes. It sucks in very well when it get it about 1/8 inch away. I think it will work out very nice.

As for high res pictures... give me a day (unless I get time tonight). Anything particular you want to see a picture of??

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 01:19 AM

nope just curious, its a very cool idea

doctorb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:39 AM

Since I just yanked my PB's Adapter chord out, yet again, I think the Magsafe idea is quite novel. However, will it make it too easy to disconnect so that even the slightest tug will detatch it?

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by doctorb
Since I just yanked my PB's Adapter chord out, yet again, I think the Magsafe idea is quite novel. However, will it make it too easy to disconnect so that even the slightest tug will detatch it?

Suprisingly, it is in the socket very firmly. Takes probably same amount of force to pull out the old style as the Magsafe.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 02:59 AM

hopefully these dont break as easily as the ibook/pb ones did.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
hopefully these dont break as easily as the ibook/pb ones did.
Well, it's the whole deal of the MagSafe stuff, so if it fails at this it is a complete failure

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
Well, it's the whole deal of the MagSafe stuff, so if it fails at this it is a complete failure
I think he means the cord part, which often frayed. The MagSafe wouldn't help this.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 22, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by John123
I think he means the cord part, which often frayed. The MagSafe wouldn't help this.
Does that really happen? I've never owned a Mac laptop so I don't know. I've owned two different PC laptops and never ever has the power cord frayed.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 09:07 AM

Ah the cord issue, but that was fixed in a revision of the "older" power adaptors. That's why I didn't get it.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by John123
i mean the shiney silver part of the old adaptors that would bend alot. so the magsafe is still that weak?

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:11 PM

It's a very strong magnet. I was very impressed with the way it stayed in the slot, but didn't take that much effort to remove. Quite ingenious.
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
i mean the shiney silver part of the old adaptors that would bend alot. so the magsafe is still that weak?
The connector itself is solid. I imagine I could stomp all over it with my boots on and it would be fine, but I'm not going to test that theory. The magnet holds it firmly in place. If you try to pull it straight out it takes a good tug that can slide the MacBook a little. However if you pull the cord at an angle at all it pops right off.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
If you try to pull it straight out it takes a good tug that can slide the MacBook a little. However if you pull the cord at an angle at all it pops right off.
That seems to be the key. If you pull the adapter straight out it holds pretty well, but if you pull it at an angle, or in any way perpendicular to the machine, it comes out fairly easily. At first I was a bit frustrated because it came out twice in the first few hours, but then I started to realize that those were situations where it was good that the adapter came out and that's probably why my old powerbook had to go into the shop- because the adapter port was broken after a long period of gradual abuse. There are only two problems that I foresee: first, that if someone trips over the cord and pulls it straight out, it may take the MBP with it (this is fairly unlikely). The other problem, as indicated in the manual is that it's a magnet so it can wipe your credit cards and ipod. I wonder if it can wipe your hard drive too (this is also fairly unlikely, but Apple did put a warning in there).

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 01:38 PM

It's pretty cool. I guess it depends on how you use your laptop. I use it on my lap a lot and have knocked out the cord a few times while shifting my legs.

I'd say I like it more because it easy to plug-in rather than it prevents trips.
( Last edited by slffl; Feb 22, 2006 at 01:59 PM. )
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
The connector itself is solid. I imagine I could stomp all over it with my boots on and it would be fine, but I'm not going to test that theory. The magnet holds it firmly in place. If you try to pull it straight out it takes a good tug that can slide the MacBook a little. However if you pull the cord at an angle at all it pops right off.
thank you thats that i wanted to know.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
It's pretty cool. I guess it depends on how you use your laptop. I use it on my lap a lot and have knocked out the cord a few times while shifting my legs.

I say I like it more because it easy to plug-in rather than it prevents trips.
i use my laptop alot (well when its not broken or waiting to be shipped from china) and have gone through about 4 of the old power cords because of the bending and breaking of the shiny silver part, so something sturdier would much loved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules