Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP + Rosetta + Photoshop ???

MBP + Rosetta + Photoshop ???
jersey
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 06:55 PM

Has anyone run photoshop yet? How fast is it?

I am wanting to upgrade soon ( from a Ti ) but if photoshop isnt much faster, wont bother for a while.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jersey
Has anyone run photoshop yet? How fast is it?

I am wanting to upgrade soon ( from a Ti ) but if photoshop isnt much faster, wont bother for a while.
Mine looks like it arrives Friday. I am going to do some side by side against my current machine:

17in, 1.33, 60 GB 7200rpm, 2gb ram w/ CS2.

Hopefully, I'll return in a few days w/ some numbers.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 09:32 PM

I am a Light photoshop user, basic pic edititing, small stuff, I had a G4 12in PB and my MBP 2.0 with 2gig Ram 7200 Rpm HD is a bit faster actually

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 01:16 PM

Anyone...???? I dont want to be the poor bum that has to buy a 2.16 w/2gigs of ram to test this...

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 01:24 PM

atc ben
Feb 22, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
Wow, that confirms I made a good decision to wait to order my MacBook Pro until an Intel optimized version of Photoshop arrives.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 02:57 PM

looks like if I got one it would run at about the same speed as on my 1.25. but I only do light Ps work, so it wouldnt be a huge deal.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 03:21 PM

Wierd Apple dropped the 15" G4 from sale. Better have an Intel Adobe apps around the corner :-(, How much RAM did the zdnet guy have?

guajero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:25 PM

it is very important for me that photoshop run quickly which is why i was originally very excited about the macbook pro. in theory the core duo should really fly with native intel code and that makes me happy. however, i also realize that i should just get a dedicated photoshop desktop because laptosp and photoshop don't really get along that well.
G.
i take pictures

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
Well that is just dandy!

I hope this thing is at least as fast as my 1.33 while converting raw files in CS2 ACR. If it is slower, on ebay it goes.

I just don't understand Adobe, it is not like they did not know that this was coming given how slow the G4's are w/ PS-9.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006, 04:08 PM

GIve me a break. I think it is amazing that it is around the same speed as a 1.33 on Photoshop (emulation people!) and a lot faster than any pbook on native apps. If you are going to be doing a lot of raw file conversion and you cannot wait until Adobe upgrades to universal, I'd suggest looking at Aperature.

This is going to be a huge speed increase for me from my 867Mhz 12" pbook even with the emulation performance hit.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
GIve me a break. I think it is amazing that it is around the same speed as a 1.33 on Photoshop (emulation people!) and a lot faster than any pbook on native apps. If you are going to be doing a lot of raw file conversion and you cannot wait until Adobe upgrades to universal, I'd suggest looking at Aperature.

This is going to be a huge speed increase for me from my 867Mhz 12" pbook even with the emulation performance hit.
I can wait for adobe to make the app native as long as it converts as fast as my current machine. Aperature is not an option as my workflow requires Adobe bridge and photoshop.

I do this for a living and need it to work right.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:20 PM

Realistically, Apple should've kept them in the loop. Apple should know how important Adobe is to it. I think I'll be happy with CS2 on the MBP 2.16 until they ship CS3. As someone noted, it'll be faster than the 1GHz G4 laptop I have.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:26 PM

Interesting test. I wish he had run the same test a second time. If I understand reviews correctly, Rosetta stores previous instruction translations in RAM. So repeating tasks will get faster the second time around. I'm happy with my 1.5ghz PB but when RevB of the MBP comes out, I'm all over it. The speed increase in all the native applications will more than make up for the small performance hit in Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 04:35 PM

re: raw files, isn't Adobe's Lightroom universal? Or soon to be?

As for me... I'll be interested to see how my photoshop use differs from other systems I've used (PC w/ Athlon 64 3800+ and low latency ram, dual 1.8ghz G5, etc.)

Also another question is regarding caching of instructions in rosetta-- does anything know about that? Theoretically couldn't Photoshop get faster over time? [edit: what Toyin said about caching instructions in Rosetta. It'll be interesting to compare real-life use with simple one-time benchmarks].

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:47 PM

Lightroom Beta 2 is Universal - but I haven't tested it on an Intel mac.

I'm going to the Apple Store this weekend to try out an iMac with a 2ghz model. The Apple store employee said it was OK to install a trial of Photoshop as long as I went and got a store employee first.

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 04:48 PM

Sorry for the bad grammar, been working late nights and am trying to finish a report for my class...

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 11:31 PM

Well I'm upgrading from a TiBook 1ghz to a MBP 2.0ghz. Photoshop 7 runs faster on the MBP in Rosetta than it did on the TiBook natively. I had a feeling this would be case and it factored into my decision to upgrade.

No exact numbers but launch time is faster, faster resizes, filters, dragging dialogs... just faster overall.

My $0.02
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by iobuffa
Well I'm upgrading from a TiBook 1ghz to a MBP 2.0ghz. Photoshop 7 runs faster on the MBP in Rosetta than it did on the TiBook natively. I had a feeling this would be case and it factored into my decision to upgrade.

No exact numbers but launch time is faster, faster resizes, filters, dragging dialogs... just faster overall.

My $0.02
I had a 1GHZ Tibook for a few months, It replaced a Ti-400 and was just not that much faster than the 400. In other words, with a stock 4,200 rpm drive, it was a dog. I was ticked and sold it as soon as the 17 inch 1.33 came out. Stuck a 7,200 rpm drive in it the day I got it and it killed the ti-book.

So assuming your Ti-1,000 had a stock drive, the new MBP sure as heck better be faster than your Ti.

dialo
Senior User
Feb 23, 2006, 10:21 AM

When I went from a 500 mhz powerbook to the 1 ghz I use now the difference was huge.

kauffee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 02:25 PM

Don't hold your breath on the universal binary for Photoshop... it's not expected until '07:
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/02/adobe...rsal-until-07/

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 05:24 PM

While I probably would expect it to come in 2007 based on a midpoint of the window, let's not jump the gun: 18-24 months puts it between: October 4, 2006 (that's basically 7 months away) and April 4, 2007. If people are screaming for Universal Binaries, we could see the earlier dates in this window. Also, usually companies don't like to piss off their customers, so they might want to "over-deliver"
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 08:14 PM

Of course for those chomping at the bit, WINE has been ported to OSX for Mac Intels already. It's early but they have Photoshop 6 for Windows running at close to native Windows speeds. I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to get more recent Photoshop apps working.

Personally, I couldn't stand to look at Windows version Photoshop for extended periods of time, but it may be an option for those who really need the speed.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 10:40 PM

People who would really need it now a) probably would buy a desktop, b) if mobile, locate 1.67 G4.

d) as a last resort, get a Windows machine.

c) is killing yourself

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 12:52 AM

d) 3 used Ti's

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 03:04 AM

FWIW Photoshop CS 1 is nearly as fast on this 2.0 ghz MBP 7200 rm hd 1gb ram as it was on my 1ghz tibook with a 5400rm hd and 1gb ram.

Startup is the thing that takes a lot longer but using Photoshop itself, the difference (if any) isn't really that noticeable.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 05:35 PM

I am running it now.

I did this test and the speed doubled:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=263394&page=5

Old PB 17, 1.33, 2GB, 7200 2 minutes, 10 seconds.

MBP, 2.0, 2GB, 7200, 65 seconds.

Open 110MB TIFF file:

PB= 1.7 seconds.
MBP= .8 seconds.

Convert image to CMYK

PB=10.7 seconds
MBP=16.4 seconds

Convert 13 Canon ISO 3200 5D RAW files from RAW to saved jpeg in destination folder using CS2 and Bridge

PB was one minute faster, seemed to do it in 70% of the time of the MBP.

I think the overall speed in PS for now will be about the same, not really any gains at this point.

iView Media Pro, Google Earth, Word, other non Adobe apps seem to run about the same or a bit faster.

The screen is MUCH brighter than my 17. The battery life is at least an hour better too.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2006, 04:18 AM

Here are some more RAW file conversions.

I took 40 Canon 5D RAW files and converted them to high quality JPEG's.

PB 17 inch, Adobe Camera Raw in CS2, 40 files=10:16

MBP, Adobe Camera Raw in CS2, 40 files=13:04

MBP, Adobe Lightroom Beta, UB, 40 files=6:48

Looks like Lightroom will be my converter for the time being.

I have also found that I can no longer take a wad of 40 RAW files from the iView catalog and drag them into CS2, it does not do anything. One will work, but not multiples.

The machine gets hot. Hotter than my PB17. The fans are really quiet though.

I have to summarize that anything to do with RAW file conversion in CS2 takes about 30% longer on the MBP in Rosetta than on my PB 17, 1.33, 2GB ram, 7200 60GB.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 12:13 PM

I'm sure even the 1.83 (which is the one I'm waiting for) will be faster with 2 GB RAM than my old last generation TiBook (1GHz) will be running Photoshop through Rosetta. I'm not too worried, I can run that while waiting for Adobe to upgrade Photoshop.... it'll just feel like a got a new computer *again* in the summer.

I'm pretty sure Photoshop will be out in the summer, since Apple was a bit fast on the trigger shipping the first Intel Macs. My friend that works at Intel says Intel has a whole team at Adobe working like crazy to be finished sooner than what was originally promised for the first Intel Macs (i.e. summer 2006). I tried to ask him for a guestimate for the date, but he only said "the summer", but I'm going to squeeze him more to make some asking aorund.
/Petra

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 02:40 PM

If Adobe managed to get their apps ready by even later summer / early fall, they would probably make a lot of people happy-- Those who need a new machine can bite on the first round of Intel PowerMacs without too much reservation then-- Apple will sell lots of CS3, and Apple will sell more PowerMacs. I won't hold my breath, per se... but that would be awesome!

Hey Daniel-- could you do me a favor? I'm ever so curious as to whether Rosetta gets faster as you repeat the same types of routines. Could you try running one of those tests (where the MBP is quite a bit slower than the PB) a few times in a row to see if the time improves on subsequent runs?

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rumz
If Adobe managed to get their apps ready by even later summer / early fall, they would probably make a lot of people happy-- Those who need a new machine can bite on the first round of Intel PowerMacs without too much reservation then-- Apple will sell lots of CS3, and Apple will sell more PowerMacs. I won't hold my breath, per se... but that would be awesome!

Hey Daniel-- could you do me a favor? I'm ever so curious as to whether Rosetta gets faster as you repeat the same types of routines. Could you try running one of those tests (where the MBP is quite a bit slower than the PB) a few times in a row to see if the time improves on subsequent runs?
I was thinking the same thing before I got it so I am going to work it pretty heavy over the next week and do the same test every 3 days or so.

I'll have the tests above plus a few others that I hope to see a track record on by this time next week. Good thing I have a iMac G5 2.1, otherwise I would be selling my 17 w/ much reservation.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2006, 12:52 PM

Seems to be getting a bit faster converting RAW files now, thank gawd!

Forum Links
Forum Rules