Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Startup

Startup
hamsher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 06:18 AM

Well basically I have this little problem and was wondering if anyone had this before or could explain why or maybe suggest a fix? My iMac G5 has on occasion when its asleep the fan seems to kick into overdrive and wont stop and the machine wont wake up? And now when I startup the 'sleep' light on the front comes on for a while then either the fan kicks in again or the screen will switch on the apple appears and then the machine does nothing? Im a little worried please help.

hamsher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 08:29 AM

Does anyone have some advice for this please as I have never had any mac behave like this before and it is now regularly crashing on startup!

hamsher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 12:22 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=286470

Looks like someone else is having a similar problem? Im going to get a backup HD tonight. Anybody else getting slow startup (literately minutes before the screen lights up?) or crashing on startup and having the fan go crazy at any point?

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 06:08 AM

My second iMac 17inch 2gig rev2 is doing the same. Takes 10 minutes or more with 3 to 4 reboots to get it cracking. I have re-installed the system from scratch and run TTpro and Apple Hardware test with all results to <Pass>. I'll get the back off when I get time and go throught he rest off the diagnostics before attempting to have the HD replaced. Best of luck and let us know if you found a cure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules