Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best External HD Enclosures for Mac Mini

Best External HD Enclosures for Mac Mini
Kikaida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 02:00 PM

I'm considering purchasing a Mac Mini soon. Could anyone recommend a HD enclosure that a) matches the Mini's form factor and b) have had a good experience with? Thanks in advance.

xcaliber
Mar 9, 2006, 03:08 PM

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 03:10 PM

man If i had a mini, I would definitely get that. Its got loads of ports!

Kikaida  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by xcaliber
That looks pretty close to perfect. Did you buy one? Have a good experience?

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 05:04 PM

I'd be interested in knowing how noisy the fan is...
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 05:04 PM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 06:17 PM

lacie also makes a HD in the shape of a mac mini footprint...my cousin has it and the three times ive seen it in action, its been whisper quiet.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

quiklee
Senior User
Mar 9, 2006, 07:35 PM

449 for a 500GB . . . . . how does it connect? via firewire? how much faster is firewire compared to USB 2.0?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 09:28 PM

Do you want an enclosure that looks like the Mac mini, or is just the same size as the Mac mini?

Whatever you do, avoid LaCie like the plague; high prices and low quality hardware.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
449 for a 500GB . . . . . how does it connect? via firewire? how much faster is firewire compared to USB 2.0?
While USB 2.0 is theoretically faster, Firewire 400 offers higher SUSTAINED rates of transfer. At least that is what I remember.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Do you want an enclosure that looks like the Mac mini, or is just the same size as the Mac mini?

Whatever you do, avoid LaCie like the plague; high prices and low quality hardware.
I had the Porsche drive... lasted 6 months and died on me.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 12:41 AM

ive had the porsche drive (usb 2.0) for 8 months and its still chugging along nicely. i dont think its fair to call an entire company bad from one bad experience, but i do have to mention lots of complaints about lacie. i took the poison and lived, so did my cousin...i guess everybodys milage varies.

$92 for 200gigs... not THAT pricey.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
ive had the porsche drive (usb 2.0) for 8 months and its still chugging along nicely. i dont think its fair to call an entire company bad from one bad experience, but i do have to mention lots of complaints about lacie. i took the poison and lived, so did my cousin...i guess everybodys milage varies.

I have to admit that it was speedy. I used it as my startup drive for my mini... ran quite quickly! Then I used it as a backup drive with my iMac.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:05 AM

LaCie is definitely not the most reliable brand. G-Tech makes much better quality drives, or if you've got the money, get a Glyph. Neither one has a mac mini form factor, but if you're worried about the reliability of the LaCie, it's definitely worth it.

"I start fires!"

Kikaida  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 07:43 AM

My 120gig Lacie d2 died recently, too. It had performance issues for almost the entire time I owned it. I'm definitely going to steer clear of Lacie in the future.

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
I'd be interested in knowing how noisy the fan is...
I have one of these and it is a very nice unit. The fan can be noisy, it is variable depending on the temps and when it first starts up. The drive itself is pretty quiet. I bought mine with the 160gig drive since I dont need storage per say, I'm putting server on it and then booting off it with the Mini. It also has a gig or so if "free" software loaded on it. Nothing you can not get elsewhere but it is convient and for a newbie, a real help.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ

My Porsche drive is three years old and still working well. It does run hot and it has "failed" a few times where I had to whack it and start over, I think it's from the heat. So now I keep it out in the open by itself and not put anything on top of it. It does look nice but if you take it apart, it is a bit cheesy given how much I paid for it. There is virtually no cooling airflow so be warned. I used it for a year on USB (PC) and then moved it to the Mac (firewire).

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com

RussS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 05:05 AM

Four external HDs that match the Mini's form factor:

Newer Technology miniStack

LaCie mini

Micronet miniMate

iomega MiniMax

Haven't had any experience with any of them though.
( Last edited by RussS; Mar 11, 2006 at 05:11 AM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:27 AM

I always thought the cheaper LaCie drives were fine (NOT speaking from experience), however I do regulary use one of the bigger disks, a 1TB drive, and it is terrible! So unreliable, always waiting for it to catch up and for the damned blue light to stop blinking so I can carry on with what I am doing. Its damned noisy too, at LEAST 3x louder than a single prc 1.8 PM! And it makes horrible clicking and squeaking noises to... UGH!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I always thought the cheaper LaCie drives were fine (NOT speaking from experience), however I do regulary use one of the bigger disks, a 1TB drive, and it is terrible! So unreliable, always waiting for it to catch up and for the damned blue light to stop blinking so I can carry on with what I am doing. Its damned noisy too, at LEAST 3x louder than a single prc 1.8 PM! And it makes horrible clicking and squeaking noises to... UGH!
well, the fact that there are four hard drives in there that all need cooling (as well as producing their own noise) may have something to do with that. Can't expect it to be as quiet as a little single-drive enclosure.

"I start fires!"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
The ministack can connect via FW OR USB (there's a switch). It's both a firewire and a USB hub. I'm thinking of getting one for my other HDs to connect to my Intel iMac.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules