Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Exact Copies of Mail Internal and External HDs

Exact Copies of Mail Internal and External HDs
macaddict4Him
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 03:36 PM

What is the easiest way to have the exact same copy of Mail, including all messages, on the internal HD of my iBook, and also on the external HD? Both HDs are running Tiger.

I need to be able to access Mail from both HDs, and need to have all the messages available on both HDs at all times.

I don't want to clone the entire contents of the HDs, because I only have 60GB on the iBook, which is not enough. In fact, I'm down to only 16GB on the internal HD. Time to do some cleaning ...

Thanks.

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 09:31 AM

/usr/library/mail

I think that is the path, I am on the road right now but you can use the GUI and get to the same place. You will find different directories there. For example, I have one called Messages which has my POP mail and there is one called PAcketattack which is my dot Mac IMAP account. Keep in mind that by default dot Mac does not keep your mail local, it keeps a cached copy but the originals are on the server and without the server connection it is possible to lose your mail. I wrote blog entry on this exact thing happening and how i recovered my mail. It took a bit of luck (having a 2nd copy on my mini) and using a freebie mail converter that took the Apple formated mail and flipped it to a standard MBX format that I could import back into Mail.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com

macaddict4Him  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by packetattack
/usr/library/mail

I think that is the path, I am on the road right now but you can use the GUI and get to the same place. You will find different directories there. For example, I have one called Messages which has my POP mail and there is one called PAcketattack which is my dot Mac IMAP account. Keep in mind that by default dot Mac does not keep your mail local, it keeps a cached copy but the originals are on the server and without the server connection it is possible to lose your mail. I wrote blog entry on this exact thing happening and how i recovered my mail. It took a bit of luck (having a 2nd copy on my mini) and using a freebie mail converter that took the Apple formated mail and flipped it to a standard MBX format that I could import back into Mail.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com
I finally have all my old e-mail from the laptop on the external HD. I used the "Import" function, which worked just fine! I have to create all of the Rules to organize over 30,000 messages?

Strange, when I began downloading new e-mail, messages all the way back to November of 2004 downloaded to the external HD! I didn't know that Pacbell (SBC/Yahoo, now ATT) kept my e-mail going back that far!!

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict4Him
I finally have all my old e-mail from the laptop on the external HD. I used the "Import" function, which worked just fine! I have to create all of the Rules to organize over 30,000 messages?

Strange, when I began downloading new e-mail, messages all the way back to November of 2004 downloaded to the external HD! I didn't know that Pacbell (SBC/Yahoo, now ATT) kept my e-mail going back that far!!
30,000 mail messages? ouch!! Have fun with the rules

MikeS

Forum Links
Forum Rules