Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is your Macbook Pro "too hot" for you?

Is your Macbook Pro "too hot" for you?
Danoldo
Mar 26, 2006, 08:57 PM

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Learn it, Love it, Buy it....

most of you probably spend around $2,500 -> $3,000 on a Macbook Pro to have cutting edge technology that has a "super thin" case that is also "super light", you can afford an iLap.

it's electronic, electronics produce heat....this is a cutting edge technology "electronic product".

If you must have it on your lap and can't take the heat...(I don't mind the heat whatsoever) buy an iLap.......

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 09:17 PM

shameless

it also looks stupid.

teddy hbg
Mar 26, 2006, 09:26 PM

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. If I spend $2500-$3000 on a notebook I think I have a right to be able to use it comfortably without an additional piece of hardware between it and my lap. There are a lot of people that actually do need to use their machines on their laps, especially road warriors. If IBM can do it with their Thinkpad T series so can Apple.

Sometimes sacrifcing function for the sake of design is not a wise choice. Case in point making the Macbook Pro 0.1 inches thinner than the Powerbook only to find out that you can't include a decent optical drive as a result.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2006, 10:15 PM

As a new purchaser of a ThinkPad T60p, let me say that the ONLY thing stopping me from returning it and getting an MBP is the heat issue. This T60p runs so cool that you would not even believe that it shares the same internals as the MBP.

I prefer OSX to Windows, as I think OSX is the best OS on the planet. But still, I will be using a high-end laptop as my only and everyday machine, and I need something that's going to be comfortable.

Danoldo  (op)
Mar 26, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by kkapoor
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. If I spend $2500-$3000 on a notebook I think I have a right to be able to use it comfortably without an additional piece of hardware between it and my lap. There are a lot of people that actually do need to use their machines on their laps, especially road warriors. If IBM can do it with their Thinkpad T series so can Apple.

Sometimes sacrifcing function for the sake of design is not a wise choice. Case in point making the Macbook Pro 0.1 inches thinner than the Powerbook only to find out that you can't include a decent optical drive as a result.
While I do agree with you, I believe that there are reasons for doing what apple did. You have companies that spend thousands and millions of dollars on engineering and design. Apple is definitely not a company that just makes something for the hell of it and figures out bugs later and/or alternatives later. I just believe that they saw this as an issue that would rank lower on the scale than others. The fact about the drive is unfortunate, I agree. It also sounds like if it was a .1" difference problem, that someone might have made a mistake along the line and it would have cost multi-thousands/millions to fix.

Danoldo  (op)
Mar 26, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PoisonTooth
As a new purchaser of a ThinkPad T60p, let me say that the ONLY thing stopping me from returning it and getting an MBP is the heat issue. This T60p runs so cool that you would not even believe that it shares the same internals as the MBP.

I prefer OSX to Windows, as I think OSX is the best OS on the planet. But still, I will be using a high-end laptop as my only and everyday machine, and I need something that's going to be comfortable.
Your problem is solved :-) Install OSX on your ThinkPad :-P

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by kkapoor

That's great. My MBP is not too hot. YMMV but I'm having a really hard time believing people who say it is too hot.

Have you considered ergonomics?

How loud is that Thinkpad T? Have you actually used one for an extended period of time? How do you know that it does not blow hot air onto your legs?

My 1st gen 12" pbook was a lot hotter.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 05:20 AM

When the 1st gen 12" first came out, there was the same controversy: Many people said theirs was too hot while others couldn't see any problems. I was interested in getting one, so I went around to a few different places like the 2 local Apple Stores, Microcenter, and CompUSAs. There were some examples that were scorchers and some that were OK. People never really figured out why that was so, but that rev A almost got the nickname "Firebook." I held off on getting one.

Meantime, consensus finally stabilized on saying that the 12" rev A ran hot. Later 12" revs were modified somehow to reduce the heat and my 1.33 12" is OK even on a lap except under certain circumstances like high room temps (summer) combined with high loads.

Same thing is happening here: some MBP run hot while others are only moderately hot (normal), and it's the luck of the draw as to which one you get. Let's face it: these were rushed to market, the abrupt chip change proves that.

So, if you've got one of the rev A MBPs that runs hot, get some sort of lap protector. Just the cost of being an early adopter.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by drewcifer
shameless

it also looks stupid.
It works, though. I used mine occasionally with my 12" PowerBook (I bought a 15" wide iLap because the 12" one was too narrow for my lap and I anticipated that my next laptop would be a 15"). I now use it constantly with my MBP. The only drawback is that it doesn't travel very well, which is why I bought one of these:

http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

You have to add rubber feet just to the inside of the stock feet for the MBP to fit, but the feet also help with ventilation while the MBP is on a table.

Forum Links
Forum Rules