Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Intel has arrived!

iMac Intel has arrived! (Page 10)
Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 02:21 PM

So when the Apple store says these iMacs are shipping in 1-2 days now, is that accurate? Have they caught up with demand?

And am I insane for wanting an iMac to go along with my MacBook that's on order?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:18 PM

Yes, pretty much accurate.

Insane? Maybe, but it will be cool. Remember though that the two machines are virtually identical - and will seems almost exactly the same speed as eachother. If we still had the powerbooks with no upgrade on the horizon, then yes, maybe the iMac will be cool as it will give you a 'workhorse' machine for anything intensive, and then a portable for doing much lighter computing on the go. As its the MBP, however, and the two machines will run at near exact same speeds, unless you need two computers, the MBP will work well as a portable and a desktop replacement (and eliminates all the annoying woes of making sure the right data you need is on the right computer!)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
The demo version of Neat Image appears to work fine.
Thx for your effort, apriciated it. If I now could decide between a 17" 1.5GB CoreDuo for Eur. 1478 or a 20" 1.5GB G5 for Eur. 1588...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 06:19 PM

I already had a 12" iBook that is relatively new (purchased last fall). And since my mobile needs are light (email, web browsing, IM, etc), it made since for me to keep the iBook and suppliment with a new 20" Intel iMac. (which I LOVE, BTW)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I already had a 12" iBook that is relatively new (purchased last fall). And since my mobile needs are light (email, web browsing, IM, etc), it made since for me to keep the iBook and suppliment with a new 20" Intel iMac. (which I LOVE, BTW)
Exactly the same as me (except I got the 17" Intel iMac)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
OK, so I tried installing XP pro, and I keep getting the windows error:

Fatal Error - an error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the setup log file

Any ideas?
I get this exact same error. And I got it trying to install XP home and Pro. I got the same error in the Wintel emulator too.

The Q emulator Rocks for speed. If we can just get past this install problem. To put the speed thing into perspective, the 2.1 version of Wintel took over an hour to copy the files XP setup was going to need. The Q emulator does it in about ten minutes. I think if we can get the bugs worked out, the Q enulator is going to be pretty usable.

I looked the error up on Microsoft's site and it sounds like a memory error. So, it must be something with the emulator not quite ready yet. Since Wintel and Q are based on the same foundation, it's not surprising that they both get this same error.

If anyone knows of a workaround for it, I'd love to hear it!

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Yes, pretty much accurate.

Insane? Maybe, but it will be cool. Remember though that the two machines are virtually identical - and will seems almost exactly the same speed as eachother. If we still had the powerbooks with no upgrade on the horizon, then yes, maybe the iMac will be cool as it will give you a 'workhorse' machine for anything intensive, and then a portable for doing much lighter computing on the go. As its the MBP, however, and the two machines will run at near exact same speeds, unless you need two computers, the MBP will work well as a portable and a desktop replacement (and eliminates all the annoying woes of making sure the right data you need is on the right computer!)
Well in any case I'd like to have a desktop Mac somewhere down the line-- whether I pick up an iMac or wait for an Intel Mac Mini will be the main question. The primary difference between the MBP and the iMac for me would that one would be stationary and could thus have a couple external HDDs hooked up to it to make it a sort of media server, house large amounts of data, etc. The MacBook will only have a 100gb drive so it doesn't make sense to try to store everything on there. The Mini would certainly be a better deal money-wise for using as a media server, I guess. I just like having both a laptop and an anchored desktop.

Thanks for the info-- nice to see the iMacs have caught up. Just have to wait till March 16 on the MBP...

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2006, 03:31 AM

I opted for the iMac based on the proce difference, and I just loved them. Actually, it's nice to have a desktop again. I've been stuck on a Windows laptop for the last year or so, and I was starting to feel a little cramped. I didn't take that much advantage of the portability ability anyway.

I say you'd better get both just to be safe.

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by toddtmw
I get this exact same error. And I got it trying to install XP home and Pro. I got the same error in the Wintel emulator too.

The Q emulator Rocks for speed. If we can just get past this install problem. To put the speed thing into perspective, the 2.1 version of Wintel took over an hour to copy the files XP setup was going to need. The Q emulator does it in about ten minutes. I think if we can get the bugs worked out, the Q enulator is going to be pretty usable.

I looked the error up on Microsoft's site and it sounds like a memory error. So, it must be something with the emulator not quite ready yet. Since Wintel and Q are based on the same foundation, it's not surprising that they both get this same error.

If anyone knows of a workaround for it, I'd love to hear it!

-Todd
It looks like the workaround for this problem is to install WinXP on the emulator running on a PowerPC machine and then move the installed image to the Intel Mac. I'm doing this now, but My PowerPC machine is a G4/400, so it's taking quite a while...

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 02:31 AM

Just want to chime in on my impressions of my new iMac Core Duo.

This thing is fast and super-quiet. Other than the initial snafu over the video issues on 10.4.4, it has been rock solid.

My PPC applications are running perfectly.

Hopefully these Intel iMacs have more reliable power supplies and logic boards than the G5 machines.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2006, 08:08 AM

Well, I did my taxes and decided it was time to upgrade. My 20" Core Duo iMac is on the way.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 21, 2006, 08:39 AM

you won't be disappointed

i'm certainly a happy flappo

Buckshot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 03:04 PM

Ordered a 20" 2.0Ghz iMac today. Came to just over £1200 after educational discount. (I think thats about $2000)

BTO Options were a gig of ram on 1 stick. 256mb graphics ram and a wireless kboard and mouse. Shame that had to add 4 more days to shipment day but meh can't have it all. Apple reckon it will ship on March 1st and arrive to me in the UK on the 3rd.

Also thrown in a set of JBL Creature Speakers 2.1 as well, white to match the iMac

Im hoping it will be faster but im a patient man and good things come to he who waits. If anyone in the UK has had one how long did you have to wait?
The Italian Stallion

acorder
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 07:00 PM

I got my new 20-incher on Friday and have been playing with it all weekend. (Photo Booth is almost annoyingly entertaining.) I ordered it with just 512MB of RAM from Apple and even with that it's very snappy. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, and since it's running 10.4.5 I've had zero problems with video hiccups.

I have had an issue with it recognizing my fiancee's iPod Shuffle, however. Anyone else have this? It seems to take a couple of tries every time.

Other than that, I'm super impressed!

And would anyone like to buy a brand new Appe Pro Keyboard or Mighty Mouse?

Peace, y'all.

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 07:38 PM

I got mine right away . . . . 17inch iMac . . .suh-weet!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

popstand
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 10:00 PM

Have to add my two cents. I had a MacBook on order (God knows when that would have shown up), and I went to the Apple store to see if they had any I could play with. They didn't, but the trip brought me back to my senses. I passed a 20" iMac Core Duo, and despite my vow to never own a desktop again, I fell in love. I priced it out with my student discount, and realized I'd have to be a little crazy to buy the MacBook for $700.00 more. It's just got so much more going for it, vastly bigger drive, better graphics, huge screen, DL burner, and with this form factor, it's practically a mobile computer. You can use the box as a carrying case, and take it anywhere you need to go. If I could do it with my old SE, I can certainly manage with this thing. I was going to sell my 1GHz 12" Powerbook to help pay for the MacBook (these are still commanding over $800 on eBay, gotta love the way they hold their value), but now I can just keep that for mobile use, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

I understand that many mobile professionals absolutely need the new MacBook, but for a slightly more casual user, it seems like a terrible time to buy one. I'm a big proponent of buying the most computer you can possibly afford (saves money in the long run), but the MacBook doesn't seem like the best Apple can do right now, maybe a little rushed, and so far the battery life isn't impressing me. You just know they're going to kill everyone with a much better offering in like 6 months. The iMac on the other hand, feels like a very polished product with a ton of life left in its design.
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by marcuscorder
I got my new 20-incher on Friday and have been playing with it all weekend.
For a second there, I thought you had an operation and were bragging.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

fhoubi
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
Does Handbreak utilize both processor cores?
Maybe old news: Yep it does.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

beeba123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 04:01 PM

i got Q working (latest unstable build, d871) with my 17" (2gb ram). i gave it 512mb, and it's.. ok. the first couple tries failed, but my xp pro sp2 cd worked as expected.

it's a little sluggish, but at least it installed. i have faster [windows] machines in my house, so it's not like i need it, but it's interesting.

keep hacking away at it.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 12:43 PM

I sold off my Dual 2.0 G5 (June 2004) and my Samsung 17" LCD and got the 20" imac.
why?

PROS:

1. Sold my G5 for $2120 + Samsung 17" for $ 350. = 2460. Saved a lot of money and got a 20" intel imac with 1GB RAM.
2. Bigger 20" screen the best screen I have ever had.
3. Feels faster in some cases than my Dual G5
4. Waiting for my FCP 5.1 upgrade.
5. All other apps I use anre now native. (Safari, iPhoto, Speed download, mac the ripper, camino, opera 9.0-awesome, adobe lightroom, iTunes, iWork, canon MP780 Multifunction, HP 4650 Color Laserjet, doom 3, UT 2004, stuffit 10.1, VLC, transmit, handbrake, isquint, waiting for FCP Studio 5.1 then I am done). Photoshop will have to wait till next year till Adobe blesses us with a UB version.
6. Dual boot Windows XP. Awesome just Awesome. Helped me work on some windows only apps, without leaving my mac. waiting for virtualization support so I do not have to reboot.
7. some PPC apps I use work wonderfully with rosetta.
8. Got iSight
9. Got Airport and Bluetooth built-in (was not there on my G5)
10. Overall a very smooth and satisfying experience.
11. 2X faster USB 2.0 port. My g5 usb 2.0 pport sucked transfering files to the iPod. This is way faster.
12. Much better graphics then my Geforce FX5200 in the G5.
13. Uses only 95W power at max use. my G5 used 350-400W at high usage.
14. God I love the screen

NOT EXACTLY CONS (Just my experiences):
1. A little slow internal Hard drive. Maxtor 250 GB
2. some minor Java problems.
3. very minor finder bugs.
4. Rosetta needs a lot of memory. So I will have to upgrade to at least 1.5GB
5. Mighty mouse sucks. (Apple you goofed again. First the hockey puck mouse then this. (Fire the mouse design division and get some sensible people over there)

So I saved a lot of money, got a new better comp. I am impressed.

Many guys told me to hold off and not buy a first gen iMac intel. But I am glad I went ahead.
( Last edited by addiecool; Apr 1, 2006 at 01:52 PM. )
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 07:37 PM

i must disagree with the comments about the internal hard drive and the mighty mouse. first off, the hard drive in my 20" imac core duo is clocking at 7200 rpm and thats fast enough to record 10 tracks of 96k 24bit audio at once (not slow at all). secondly, the mighty mouse is a hell of a lot better than the last ones they put out. plus they did well in creating an elegant, imac-matching attractive mouse that is actually very functional, tho im not wild abut the squeeze button. the scroll ball is tiny and at first is wierd but once you get used to it its absolutely perfect. way better than any scrolling mechanism out there. now i wish my trackball had a scroll wheel.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 01:18 PM

I agree mighty mouse is better than the last ones and that the trackbasll is perfect. But my main dissapointment is the right click where you have to completely pull up your left finger to let the right click sense and work properly. and many times it takes the right click as the left click only. The thumb buttons are totally useless. I guess you have figured these out also.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Forum Links
Forum Rules