Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What Must I Do to be Saved?

What Must I Do to be Saved?
abe
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 11:32 PM

Like a thief in the night He shall come. You don't know the day or hour. It's like an insurance policy. If you haven't already signed on the bottom line, given your premium and had it approved by the company, it's too late once the crap hits the fan.

But the underlying question many of the atheists or God-curious might have is...

http://www.abideinchrist.com/messages/romsaved.html

What Must I Do to be Saved?

In many parts of the world there is a spiritual hunger and people are asking, "What must I do to be saved?"

Long ago a jailer asked a religious prisoner that same question. He received a concise answer, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved you and your household" (Acts 16:31).

A Jewish lawyer approached the Lord Jesus Christ one day and asked, "What shall I do to inherit eternal life?" What shall I do to receive my allotment in the inheritance of God? What can I do to obtain God's kind of life?

The lawyer was asking an age-old question about eternal life. Is there a law that will give this kind of life? What can I do to obtain a dynamic, full, vivacious abundant life?

Jesus answered by asking a question, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?" (Luke 10:26).

This highly intelligent religious student replied by quoting two verses from the Old Testament. Luke quotes his response in Luke 10:27. "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself."

You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind. You must not only love your neighbor, but you must love him as yourself.

Jesus responded by saying, "You have answered correctly" (v. 28). Then Jesus quoted Leviticus 18:5, "Do this, and you will live." You gave the right answer; now go and do it.

The religious student who was talking to Jesus became very uneasy with this response and tried to change the subject. Suddenly, he was overwhelmed with conviction that he did not live up to his own interpretation of the law. He realized he was a failure.

Just Do It!

If you would attain to eternal life by keeping the law, then keep the law. Just do it and live.

There is only one problem. Have you ever done it? Have you kept the whole law every day, every hour of your life without ever failing?

This is an issue that is a necessary footnote to many of the threads in here as well as the P/L which deal with religion and the existence of God or any deity.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

euchomai
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 11:49 PM

A picture of Jesus needs to be in this thread. One of him hang-gliding would be cool, so cue my sig.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 11:54 PM

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 12:59 AM

Blah...this belongs in the political forum...or better yet the trash.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Apr 7, 2006, 12:59 AM

"Hello, what have we here?

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:05 AM

You are not saved by works but by grace... so you must be elect to be saved . (Oh John Calvin how I love you!)

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 03:11 AM

I was going to say stop copy/pasting articles and instead putting a link for those that care to read. You get a pass on this thread, seeing as it's your own and you can do whatever. You're still "not saved" for doing it elsewhere all the time.

Glad I'm not one of those that might have that question. (to stay on-topic)
Totally wrong forum though, Abe, you know that. Try as you might, you can't force people to read the links you want them to or believe what you want them to, even if you think it will help them.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
You are not saved by works but by grace... so you must be elect to be saved . (Oh John Calvin how I love you!)
Did you INTEND to use that ^^^ word?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 03:36 AM

That's the common term in Calvinism. In Oxford, "elect" is defined as "chosen or singled out."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
I was going to say stop copy/pasting articles and instead putting a link for those that care to read. You get a pass on this thread, seeing as it's your own and you can do whatever. You're still "not saved" for doing it elsewhere all the time.

Glad I'm not one of those that might have that question. (to stay on-topic)
Totally wrong forum though, Abe, you know that. Try as you might, you can't force people to read the links you want them to or believe what you want them to, even if you think it will help them.
You REALLY are the committed liberal, no matter if you'd deny it, aren't you?

If God himself does not compel obedience, if the Mod Gods of MacNN finds my activities within the rules, how can man (specifically YOU, in this case) be so bold as to attempt to tell anyone here what to do?

Unlike you, I simply post what I post but I never try to tell anyone what to do.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
That's the common term in Calvinism. In Oxford, "elect" is defined as "chosen or singled out."
Thanks for the assist, Chuckit!

I flashed - for a nanosecond - on the possibility that Calvin was Asian.

Only a nanosecond.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by abe
This is an issue that is a necessary footnote to many of the threads in here as well as the P/L which deal with religion and the existence of God or any deity.
How so?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Did you INTEND to use that ^^^ word?

Yes get yourself a copy of John Calvin's: Institutes of the Christian Religion. If you are scared by theology you might want to start with something quite solid (aside from some Weslyan leanings) and get yourself a wee copy of Oswald Chamber's my Utmost for His Highest. The Institutes are certainly heavier reading. But they're oh so good.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:14 AM

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnameable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:22 AM

Why does one come to the opinion that the Bible, literally understood, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Usually because one's "elders and betters," or an impressively large group of ones peers, have this opinion. But this is to go along with the Bandar-log, or monkey tribe, in Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Books , who periodically get together and shout, "We all say so, so it must be true!"

But many people never grow up. They stay all their lives with a passionate need for eternal authority and guidance, pretending not to trust their own judgment. Nevertheless, it is their own judgment, willy-nilly, that there exists some authority greater than their own. The fervent fundamentalist whether Protestant or Catholic, Jew or Moslem is closed to reason and even communication for fear of losing the security of childish dependence. He would suffer extreme emotional heebie jeebies if he didn't have the feeling that there was some external and infallible guide in which he could trust absolutely and without which his very identity would dissolve.

~Alan Watts
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by abe
But the underlying question many of the atheists or God-curious might have is...
I don't think athiests (or at the very least, agnostics) are concerned with what they must do to be saved, but more why must they do it.

Edit: And yeah, I think this is way in the wrong forum. This topic is good for at least 6 pages.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:31 AM

You must be elect yes. But that does not mean to not follow the law. (Accorrding to the teachings of Paul.) Some see that statement as a loop hole w/o the Paul "footnote".

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Apr 7, 2006, 10:13 AM

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:45 AM

What must you do to be saved? Post in the Political/War Lounge!!!

euchomai
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
That is hilarious. I'm wearing that EXACT shirt right now!

zmcgill
Apr 7, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I don't think athiests (or at the very least, agnostics) are concerned with what they must do to be saved, but more why must they do it.
Very true. According to the Bible, it's because we've done wrong and because of that we're not worthy to enter Heaven, but Jesus paid that price so if we accept His gift, we're saved. But the problem Athiests have is they refuse to have anyone tell them they've done wrong. Moral relativity reigns supreme, and they can argue for 12 pages about why they can decide for themselves what's right and wrong.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 12:14 PM

No, you misunderstand my question. I mean why must I believe in Jesus, rather than just live a life as sin-free as possible, or do a small dance once a day.

Edit: It's probably best that no one answers this, as it will degenerate into a flame war. I believe the answer is because God has chosen it or because Jesus died for us, and thats good enough.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 12:32 PM

Yeah, how can I be save from abe ?

-t

duaine
Apr 7, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by abe
What Mus I Do to be Saved?
Wrap yourself in saran wrap so you don't spoil. I'll eat you later.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:09 PM

Ah so Christian bashing threads are ok, but something advocating Christianity, screw that!1

You guys crack me up.

Seriously.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
That is hilarious. I'm wearing that EXACT shirt right now!
neat. I like the ones that says "Jesus did it for the chicks".

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:18 PM

Jesus did nothing for me.

I am offended at the chance of his existance.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:27 PM

If you want to do it the Christian way just do whatever you want and just before you die, say I am sorry Jesus, I believe in you and you will be in Christian heaven.

Rumor
Apr 7, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
If you want to do it the Christian way just do whatever you want and just before you die, say I am sorry Jesus, I believe in you and you will be in Christian heaven.
Christian Loophole 101 unless it's a mortal sin, those are unforgivable, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:55 PM

There are a bunch of mortal sins and venial sins but it is more the Catholic faith then the other Christian denominations.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Christian Loophole 101 unless it's a mortal sin, those are unforgivable, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

What do mortal sins cover?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

zmcgill
Apr 7, 2006, 02:53 PM

the Christian faith is not like fire insurance. The whole point of repentance is to truly feel ashamed for what you're done in your life, admit you have failed and cannot make it to heaven on your own, put behind those previous things (that doesn't mean you're sin-free, but it does mean you take active steps to overcome sin in your life) and live for the Lord.
If someone plans on waiting until the last second, there is probably no true repentence, just someone trying to get to Heaven the easy way. Plus you're not taking into account sudden things like car wrecks, lightning bolts, etc. where you don't have time to think.
Mortal sins are Catholic ideas. The Bible, as it was written by those who walked with Jesus and not a committee in Medievil times that decided something needed to be done about these Protestants, does not talk about this idea, as far as I know.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
Jesus did nothing for me.

I am offended at the chance of his existance.
That says more about you.....

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 04:25 PM

Oh, wait…what must I do to be SAVED ?! Nevermind…

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Rumor
Apr 7, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
The Bible, as it was written by those who walked with Jesus and not a committee in Medievil times that decided something needed to be done about these Protestants, does not talk about this idea, as far as I know.
That version no longer exsist.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 05:09 PM

Ever see Life of Brian? That's exactly how I think it went down. From the moment Jesus was telling people what they need to do to be saved, it was already being manipulated and changed.

"What was that?"
"I don't know. I was too busy talking to Big Nose."
"I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'"
"Ahh, what's so special about the cheesemakers?"
"Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."
"See? If you hadn't been going on, we'd have heard that, Big Nose."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 05:23 PM

^^ lol

zmcgill
Apr 7, 2006, 06:26 PM

There are over 1200 transcripts of the New Testament from around the time it was written. There are also enough commentaries written at the time to reconstruct the entire New Testament minus 11 verses. Tell me how many transcripts of Homer's Oddessey exist? And who questions the fact that what we have today is original?

Rumor
Apr 7, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
There are over 1200 transcripts of the New Testament from around the time it was written. There are also enough commentaries written at the time to reconstruct the entire New Testament minus 11 verses. Tell me how many transcripts of Homer's Oddessey exist? And who questions the fact that what we have today is original?
Hilarious. This is the second time in about a week that someone has tried to compare the Bible to the Oddesey. Two complete different fields.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 07:14 PM

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 07:41 PM

^ kevin

you've convinced me...praise god!

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 07:42 PM

Not trying to convince. And your post is in no way ironic.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:32 PM

So Jesus and Satan are having an argument over who is the better typist. Back and forth, back and forth, until God has had enough. "That's IT!" says God in his booming and thunderous voice. "I'm sick of this bickering. We're going to have a contest to settle this once and for all."

God decides they both will bet random selections of literature to type on brand new word processor computers. They will be judged on both accuracy and, of course, total words typed. They begin and both are typing like madmen. Satan's fingers are moving so fast you can't even see them, just a blur. Jesus is moving just as fast, and angels have gathered around him to cheer him on. It's close, each holding the lead for a few seconds before the other overtakes him. Back and forth, back and forth. Then God throws them both a curve. He yanks out the power cords. When he plugs them back in he declares Jesus the winner. Know why?

Because Jesus Saves!

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by abe
You REALLY are the committed liberal, no matter if you'd deny it, aren't you?

If God himself does not compel obedience, if the Mod Gods of MacNN finds my activities within the rules, how can man (specifically YOU, in this case) be so bold as to attempt to tell anyone here what to do?

Unlike you, I simply post what I post but I never try to tell anyone what to do.
No, you just posted in the wrong forum. From your thread title, the first thing I thought of for a first step in your salvation was to stop threadflooding copy/pasted articles. Nothing to do with my political orientation.

That last question, spefically directed at me, i'm not being bold telling you what to do. You don't have to listen to me, same as people don't have to read your millions of links or not skip over your 17 page long copy/pasted articles. You asked a question in the thread title, I gave you a snarky answer. I did try to stay on-topic though.

Also, I got a pic for you of a PPG and asked some questions for you if you're still interested in that.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Also, I got a pic for you of a PPG and asked some questions for you if you're still interested in that.
I saved you the trouble of searching for the thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=290831

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Not trying to convince. And your post is in no way ironic.
nooooooo of course not

if jesus were alive today he would be ashamed of you.

kevin put down the left behind books and try to use your brain

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
nooooooo of course not
You are simply, wrong.
if jesus were alive today he would be ashamed of you.
He Is, And I know the guy a bit better than you.
kevin put down the left behind books and try to use your brain
"professing to be wise, they became fools"

I am using my God given brain.

I don't ignore the OBVIOUS and WELL PLACED signs around me.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 06:28 PM

it's signs now...lol

first i know more about anything than you do. period.

you are a sad kid who is trying to convince herself that jesus will come back soon and in doing so, you can finally say ah ha! i told you so...but he's not coming back kid...he's been dead for 2000 years AND is buried somewhere in the desert as a way to say, hey! he came back to life...i don't see any dead body.

kevin, zim, whatever you want to call yourself, grow up! dumb kid

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
it's signs now...lol

first i know more about anything than you do. period.
How pretentious. Did you pound your chest when you said that?
you are a sad kid who is trying to convince herself that jesus will come back soon and in doing so, you can finally say ah ha! i told you so
More projection. And just how old do you think I am?

I have NO CLUE when he is coming back. And it's hardly a "I told you so" type of thing.

You are showing you really aren't as smart as you think you are
...but he's not coming back kid...he's been dead for 2000 years AND is buried somewhere in the desert as a way to say, hey! he came back to life...i don't see any dead body.
WELL KID that is your opinion.

Good news is however, it wont always be a mystery for any of us.
kevin, zim, whatever you want to call yourself, grow up! dumb kid
Looks like someone's self defense mechanism is kicking in.

The condescending pretentious bit just makes you look insecure.
( Last edited by Kevin; Apr 8, 2006 at 07:38 PM. )

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 08:35 PM

what amazes me is how you think you are answering my post but you make big leaps in logic...oh right...logic is not something you know anything about...godboy

Forum Links
Forum Rules