Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD Drive Region Code question

DVD Drive Region Code question
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 07:23 AM

I banged a DVD into my new PBook for the first time and am being asked "since this is the first time DVD Player is being used" for the DVD Drive Region Code.

Presently, I am in Korea. But I travel back and forth between New Zealand and Korea and these countries have different Region Codes.

Can I switched back and forth, or am I stuck with whatever Region Code I set DVD Player to the first time I use it!?

Thanks for your help.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
I banged a DVD into my new PBook for the first time and am being asked "since this is the first time DVD Player is being used" for the DVD Drive Region Code.

Presently, I am in Korea. But I travel back and forth between New Zealand and Korea and these countries have different Region Codes.

Can I switched back and forth, or am I stuck with whatever Region Code I set DVD Player to the first time I use it!?

Thanks for your help.
The first time you insert a DVD into your Mac's DVD drive you are prompted to initialize the drive's region code. If at a later time you insert a DVD coded for another region, you will be prompted to re-initialize the drive to that specific DVD's region code. You can only change the drive's region code 5 times; after that, your drive remains locked in that region code.
Ok. So I learnt to search.

But, man, that sucks.

**** the man.

What about people (like me) who live between countries?

Anyway, are the "region patches" all that bad?

nbnz
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 08:12 AM

Yes it sucks. Sucks even more when the brand new iMac you bought was already set to Region Code 1 so I have to use one of my changes to get it to the country I live in.

Depending on the make & model of drive it is, you might be able to patch/flash it to RPC1 which allows any region disc to be used. http://forum.rpc1.org/

Also some software, like VLC or MacTheRipper, can avoid region restrictions, again depending on the drive.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules