Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help with PPC G4 MDD and Maxtor SATA HD 300GB

Need help with PPC G4 MDD and Maxtor SATA HD 300GB
aadfadsfa28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 05:13 PM

Hi,
I need some help directing me in the right direction.

I have installed a Maxtor DiamondMax 300GB (Model:6L300S0) in my PPC G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ. It is connected to a Sonnet Tempo Serial ATA PCI card. I run System 10.3.9.

The system profiler recognizes the PCI card but not the new HD. The HD utility to format the disk doesn't see the HD either.

After booting the Mac the HD makes some "clicking" noise that stops after a few minutes.

Any ideas, help is much appriciated.

Regards
Bernd

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2006, 05:23 PM

Perhaps the cable or the connection is faulty. If you have another cable, try it. Also try hooking the drive to the other bus on the card.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

aadfadsfa28  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Perhaps the cable or the connection is faulty. If you have another cable, try it. Also try hooking the drive to the other bus on the card.
Thanks for the quick answer. I already connected the drive to the other bus of the card.... no difference, I also tried a differnt PCI slot. I will get a new cable in the morning.

Is the noise of the drive normal?

Regards
Bernd

astepanuks
Apr 15, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by sportleicht
Hi,
After booting the Mac the HD makes some "clicking" noise that stops after a few minutes.

Any ideas, help is much appriciated.

Regards
Bernd
The drive is faulty. Clicking is the sound of death
MBP 2.16 Ghz, intel iMac 1.83 Ghz, PB 1.67 Ghz, Sawtooth 400 Mhz, iPod mini 4GB

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 07:14 PM

Yep, sounds suspiciously like the sound of death. Take it back to the store, and tell them it clicks. They will probably give you a replacement.

It is odd that it isn't showing up. My experience with clicking drives is that they still show up, but SMART says failed. I am not familiar enough with Disk Utility and dying/dead drives to know what the normal behaviour is. Clicking is indicative of a physical failure, so the drive logic is usually still working. But it could be that you got a real dud.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules