Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Less reliable second hand Mac?

Less reliable second hand Mac?
Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 06:37 PM

Which of the following machines has the most chance of defects if you buy one?
If you had bad experiences with these machines, please let me know?
TIA

Powermac G3 B&W
PowerMac G4 PCI
PowerMac G4 AGP 400-533
PowerMac G4 533-950
PowerMac G4 1Ghz and more
( Last edited by Mac Hammer Fan; Apr 13, 2006 at 06:45 PM. )
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

fesdds
Apr 13, 2006, 08:21 PM

I just recently got a 733 G4 QuickSilver, So far no problems>

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 10:33 PM

The Blue & Whites, and the G4 PCI graphics were the most bug-laden of that list. The Sawteeth & Gigabit-Ethernet (G4 350 thru dual 500) models are really solid.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 08:43 PM

Definitive info is hard to find. Early B&Ws had issues with the IDE controller. The PCI Graphics G4 is a pain to upgrade (don't know if it was more defective). There were some issues with noise on earlier MDDs. I have heard that Quicksilvers are more prone to failure, but haven't seen any details.

I have not had problems with my PowerMac G4s, and I've had a few. Older machines have less life left in them, as a rule, but these are all still young enough for that not to be a huge issue.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2006, 11:03 PM

Upgrade potential aside, I think the B&W Rev 2 and G4 PCI machines were some of the most solid machines Apple ever cranked out.

That said, of the AGP G4 bunch, having owned all of them at one time or another, I think I'd have to say that the Digital Audios are probably the safest.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

newtech
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2006, 04:56 PM

Quicksilver motherboards have a bad habit of dying, BW G3 and G4 PCI are prone to firewire board failures. Sawtooth G4 is reliable but "may" have single processor limitation and is limited by AGP 2X graphics and 128GB capacity for drives on internal buses. G4 Digital Audio is the sweet spot with 133MHz system bus, but has the 128GB drive limitation. MDD/FW800 is good if you need processing power but beware noise and heat issues.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 05:35 PM

Until late last year, I used & abused & literally ran the crap out of a maxed out, mega-upgraded ROCK SOLID rev 2 B&W tower. It NEVER once failed me nor my constanly-crankin, Photoshoppin, Illustratin, mega-GB image-manipulatin wife

If I hadn't got such a good deal on a Dual 450 Sawthooth, I'd STILL be runnin it too. And this ST appears to be a rock also, as I transferred my SATA card, HDD's and USB 2 card into it from the B&W, maxed da ram, added a Radeon 8500, and replaced the main case fan with a better, quiter one. Notta problemo !!

Now, we are just biding our time to see what kind of new towers come out once the switch to intel is completed later this year......... If nothing interesting pops up, we may look towards a DP 1.25 machine then.....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules