Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Ibook Information...is it true?

New Ibook Information...is it true? (Page 2)
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I've said that multiple times around here lately, and it seems a not-entirely-insignificant contingent shares the sentiment.
Agreed!!

I have an idea! Let's start a petition! Then Apple'll have to make a subnotebook for us!

[I hate to have to do this, but since I can't seem to do sarcasm over the internet: I was just kidding about the petition part]
You can use the trusty tags.- Although some clueless souls don't seem to get that either.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 09:14 AM

You would think with the depth of the Intel lineup, they would be able to create such a setup.

They could even decrease the size of the keyboard a little (I have big hands... but portability would be the key here).

Oh well, I can dream can't I.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 10:21 AM

I think the components and software tech exist to enable Apple to build a sweet subnotebook and a tablet and whatever other Mac form factor customers might want. I would imagine the real roadblock is that they don't want to fragment the market too much. The more products you offer within a line, the trickier and riskier demand forecasting would get.

Now if the Intel and Boot Camp gambit work out and Apple winds up, say, doubling their marketshare, it'd probably become more worthwhile to release some more unusual hardware configurations. Here's hoping.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 11:26 AM

I think the components and software tech exist to enable Apple to build a sweet subnotebook and a tablet and whatever other Mac form factor customers might want. I would imagine the real roadblock is that they don't want to fragment the market too much. The more products you offer within a line, the trickier and riskier demand forecasting would get.

Now if the Intel and Boot Camp gambit work out and Apple winds up, say, doubling their marketshare, it'd probably become more worthwhile to release some more unusual hardware configurations. Here's hoping.
I completely agree. Sure *I* want a subnotebook... but that doesn't mean it would be profitable or a good move for Apple. If they sold such a product, their portables may take a hit... or users would go for an iMac/subnotebook option...

Oh well... I'll keep dreaming.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think that's a very bad comparison.

The mini went from $499 to $599 because they added features. With the same feature set, the Mac mini G4 was already $599 before the Intel mini was announced. Secondly, the mini was a design based on already available and frankly, old parts. It's $499 entry price was possible because the only innovation that went into it, was miniaturization. The mini's switch to Intel meant suddenly going from an old and battered CPU to a new and current model. Suddenly it wasn't just old parts lying around, but a new chipset on a new board layout. That costs. The upcoming MB is exactly the other way around. It will be able to make use of a lot of MBP R&D just like the G4 mini did back in its day.

Apple has not hinted by any means that the $999 entry price point for Mac portables will soon be history. There's no reason to jump the gun on this one.
Your argument assumes that the primary reason for the price increase was the fact that they had to spend money on new parts and R&D. I think that argument forgets the fact that you can tell an audience of consumers that something is 2-3 times better/faster, and they will pay more for it. Tell me that you don't believe that Apple wouldn't charge you $20,000 for an iBook, if they could get away with it? Like any company, they will charge exactly what the market can handle. They are not our friends, they are makers of quality products with a bottom line and a group of voting stockholders. They aren't selling things cheaper because they want to be nice, and raising the price only because "they have to do it". The PowerPC mini was cheap, not only because it didn't cost that much to produce, but because it wasn't the greatest machine on the market, and the consumer wouldn't pay more than their $499 price point. The mini's price went up, primarily, because it could go up, not because Apple was going to bleed cash if it didn't.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Krjat
Isn't apple trying to switch its whole line of computers from PowerPC to Intel? I find this kinda sad as PowerPC has been here a while. They should keep at least one computer line with PowerPC in it.
Who would buy that model? If the PowerPC machines are going to, as time passes, be less and less powerful in comparison to the Intel machines, why would anyone buy that model? For a short period of time after the transition, keeping a PPC model around should be OK (but they aren't going to do it), but it cannot/will not last forever. It would be the least profitable line that they'd have, and would be a waste of space on the shelves for that reason, regardless of how much certain people want to keep it around. Those people aren't going to be able to help Apple turn a profit on the model. Many people may not be happy about this right now, but the PowerPC is dead, and it's going away by the end of this year.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 11:01 PM

Dennis, didja notice that guy you responded to was banned? It was 'cause almost all his posts made as little sense as that one. Though I suppose your response might help the poor fella, in case he's still hanging around here trying to make some sense of it all...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by dmetzcher
Your argument assumes that the primary reason for the price increase was the fact that they had to spend money on new parts and R&D.
Not really. My main argument was that Apple didn't really change the price, they changed the feature set. The same features already cost $599 before the Intel switch. They just canned the lowest config.

I think that argument forgets the fact that you can tell an audience of consumers that something is 2-3 times better/faster, and they will pay more for it. Tell me that you don't believe that Apple wouldn't charge you $20,000 for an iBook, if they could get away with it? Like any company, they will charge exactly what the market can handle.
Exactly. And hence they can't (well they could but they shouldn't) charge more than $999 for a 1.5GHz Solo with integrated graphics. Dell's offers are too good to do that. This is at the same time the flip side: If Apple thinks this doesn't offer enough reveue they might just go for a better spec'ed machine that allows them to be competitive but at another price point. I'm thinking something like 1.67GHz Duo/X1300 starting at $1299. We'll see. Presently it's just a guessing game.

They are not our friends, they are makers of quality products with a bottom line and a group of voting stockholders. They aren't selling things cheaper because they want to be nice, and raising the price only because "they have to do it".
Umm, sorry, but your preaching to the choir here. I think we already know and agree on that.

I can just repeat my previous conclusion: Presently Apple has not indicated by any means that they will give up on the $999 entry level portable. That's not to say they won't, but it's certainly premature if we start to panic now.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 18, 2006 at 02:52 AM. )

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Umm, sorry, but your preaching to the choir here. I think we already know and agree on that.

I can just repeat my previous conclusion: Presently Apple has not indicated by any means that they will give up on the $999 entry level portable. That's not to say they won't, but it's certainly premature if we start to panic now.
I don't think that Apple is going to hint about the price change, if there is going to be one. Do they normally do this for upcoming product releases (I'm actually asking here, not being sarcastic, because I can't remember if they have in the past)?

Either way, we'll wait and see, I suppose. I hope one of us is right (I can't remember who argued what anymore, to be honest. lol!) I hope that the price doesn't change. If it goes up $100, that's not really the end of the world, I guess. If I'm getting more for my money, I'm willing to pay for it. I just liked the fact that they had a sub-$1000 notebook that wasn't garbage, and I hope they keep the price that way.
Dennis R. Metzcher

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 02:39 PM

Dennis, didja notice that guy you responded to was banned? It was 'cause almost all his posts made as little sense as that one. Though I suppose your response might help the poor fella, in case he's still hanging around here trying to make some sense of it all...
I saw that his name had "banned" under it...but I guess I didn't give it a second thought. Some forums let you control what is posted in that space, while others don't. I remember thinking that it must have been his own creation, and that it had some "I'm a bad a$$ Mac user!" meaning that only he understood.

What was he banned for, anyway?
Dennis R. Metzcher

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 03:12 PM

Seriously, I think he was banned for being far too prolific with the postings that made no sense at all..

[Edit: I can't believe I spelled "banned" as "band"]
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Apr 20, 2006 at 08:50 PM. )

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 05:22 PM

Well...if this prediction of a July MacBook release is true then that'll make it three years and five months since my last Mac purchase. C'mon Apple!

I'm pulling for at least a May announcement.

Voch

robfarri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2006, 06:27 PM

What are you talking about?! Apple hasn't even 'hinted' about anything yet. They haven't 'hinted' that they are gonna keep the sub $999 price. It is undoubtable that an iBook replacement will be more expensive than the current model as with all the new Intel Macs.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by robfarri
It is undoubtable that an iBook replacement will be more expensive than the current model as with all the new Intel Macs.
Really? The iMac and MBP came in at identical price points. The Mini raised the price on the high-end config, kept the $599 mid-range model and dropped the base model. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a $100 or so increase on the MacBook (esp. the base model) but I don't think that will happen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules