Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 186 Mile Commute - Each Way - Every Day

186 Mile Commute - Each Way - Every Day (Page 2)
Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Oh. And... 186 miles? That'd only be an hour's commute each way if it wasn't for the stupid commie speed limits.
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were joking...

http://www.libertarianparty.org/
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
actually no. its nothing alike. this idiot is driving 7 hours a day. when people in the military go on assignment they go to a place and do their jobs. He is losing 7 hours just getting to from his job AND having to do his job while hes there.
how many of you talking about the armed forces actually had a mother or father who had to spend any time away?
My father did, and it was nothing like this. Being gone a few months here or there, or even on active duty in some place like Iraq for a few YEARS is NOTHING like barely seeing your family every week since 1989.
I'd much rather see my dad on the weekends than not see him for months or years at a time.

My dad was in the reserves most of my life.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 09:33 PM

I know, I know.
That's why I avoid A roads and motorways.

Everyone who lives anywhere which has speed limits. Including me.

Yes, of course. Any state that has any control whatsoever beyond enforcing basic property rights is COMMUNIST. They taught me that in political science.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 19, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
23 years, three months 24 days active duty. Two years reserve service too.

I do have a bit of experience, from being a low-level Airman to being a Senior NCO who had to choose who went to the desert and who didn't. I served with Army, Navy and Marines, as well. I recall the Marines marching out of the jungle in Panama to be told they had their choice of tents; their response was a resounding "Tents?! YES!!!!" Frankly, there were many times I felt like packing it in, but I felt at the same time that they'd get someone less capable to do my job, and that would let my troops down.

I have indeed talked out my ass on more than one occasion. But not this time.
the difference is those people chose that AS THEIR PROFESSION. When you choose military service you do you job wherever in the world it takes you. You dont start doing cisco with the expectation that you are going to be driving 7 hrs a day and working 8 on top of it. The whole concept is unfathomable to any reasonable person.
I stand by my statement that if his family respected and loved him, they would not be happy with him being away 15 hrs a day 5 days a week, and would move.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2006, 10:10 PM

I stand by my statement that if his family respected and loved him, they would not be happy with him being away 15 hrs a day 5 days a week, and would move.
Again, you don't know any other facts to draw your conclusion. You are simply assuming he likes his house where it is and he likes his job where it is. I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly from such little data.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 19, 2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Again, you don't know any other facts to draw your conclusion. You are simply assuming he likes his house where it is and he likes his job where it is. I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly from such little data.
"I have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live," Givens said. "So this is the only solution."

did you not read the same article I did?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
I don't know why you keep giving me that link Fyre. How many more times do I have to tell you that I don't have US voting rights?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

jebjeb
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 11:25 AM

the difference is those people chose that AS THEIR PROFESSION. When you choose military service you do you job wherever in the world it takes you. You dont start doing cisco with the expectation that you are going to be driving 7 hrs a day and working 8 on top of it. The whole concept is unfathomable to any reasonable person.
Don't you think that by this time he has chosen this "package" as his profession just like anyone else who may choose to be in the military (I agree with you that they are not the best things to compare but there are some parallels) or salesmen etc? He knows that this job means a 15 hour day for him just like some city workers (eg. lawyers) know and choose that they may have to do 15 hour days (but with a higher work to commute ratio).

Do you think his family would prefer that he stays away from home 4 nights a week rather than him (I am going to hypothisise now) being able to come home every night and tuck his kids in? I am sure they might prefer to have him home at 1800 everyday but maybe it works for them fine.

Maybe benefits outweigh the negatives? Who knows? He seems to be happy and if his family has been able to "tolerate" it for so long, so maybe there is no problems on their side. Of course, maybe it is all a sham and his partner wants to leave him for being a stupid bugger and his kids laugh and point at their silly dad who drives 300+ miles a day.

Heaps of parents only get to spend quality time with their kids on weekends. This guys at least (I guess) gets to see his kids everyday. All evidence suggests that he only does a 5 day week so gets a full 2 day weekend to do things with his family. What about all the people who work 6 day weeks?

I feel that this guy is being made the whipping boy without his opponents considering all the other people out there that spend even more time effectivly at work.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2006, 11:29 AM

No argument at all. It's STUPID to spend that much time on the road with a family at home. I just wanted to point out that some folks, like current military families, have a LOT more problems with "on the road."

My biggest "road work" was a week or so at a time performing Wing-level inspections. It still sucked, but not nearly as bad as having to be gone for months at a time would. (I spent a year overseas on a remote tour, and that SUCKED A LOT, but we all got over it.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jebjeb
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
No argument at all. It's STUPID to spend that much time on the road with a family at home.
Pretty much agree as well (except I think it probably more foolish rather than stupid). No way will you ever find me doing 15 hour days. I copped a lot of flak in my earlier days for sticking to a reasonable days work of around 8 hours. If the excrement hits the rotating cooling device, then I am there to sort it out even if it takes more time but I am not going to let it become the norm to do long days.

I believe this guy in the grand scheme of things is a bit crazy for doing those huge hours but I credit him for making the effort to see his family everyday whilst supporting them and doing something he loves. He is no more crazy than all the other people who do huge hours. Also, if I was one of his kids, I would much rather him doing what he is doing rather than being away all week or for weeks/months at a time.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 20, 2006, 12:11 PM

"I have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live," Givens said. "So this is the only solution."

did you not read the same article I did?
Have you ever been interviewed for a national newspaper article? I have. After answering dozens of questions and talking with the journalist for about half an hour I ended up with two sentences in a full page article.

If you think those are the only reasons that man is doing that commute, then I must assume you believe everything you read. What a sad existence.

sabrejim
Apr 20, 2006, 01:15 PM

I bet he only does it because his son is too proud to use his educational discount.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 01:16 PM

Have you ever been interviewed for a national newspaper article? I have. After answering dozens of questions and talking with the journalist for about half an hour I ended up with two sentences in a full page article.

If you think those are the only reasons that man is doing that commute, then I must assume you believe everything you read. What a sad existence.
quoted for good measure

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 01:48 PM

What if he loves his job and his family? Perhaps he owns some livestock and hundreds of acres of land that he loves and couldn't buy anywhere else. Perhaps his wife has a job in the opposite direction that she loves as well.
Well then it would sound like they're loving their professions and possessions more than their time together as man and wife.

And in regards to the time away from home comments; what do you guys think about men in the Navy or military that must spend HUGE amounts of time away from home?
Did they sign up before they got married? Did they want to serve their country or see the world more than be around their partner consistently?

In all honestly I've got to think this guy gets massive vacation time. It's be the only way I could possibly justify such a time consuming effort.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 02:38 PM

Perhaps this guy can't stand his wife. He's not gonna say that to the media and risk a wallet-killing divorce, is he?

jebjeb
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 03:40 PM

Perhaps this guy can't stand his wife. He's not gonna say that to the media and risk a wallet-killing divorce, is he?
Certainly possible.

I had one colleague who did the four nights in a hotel thing each week. He and his wife got on great. However, he got ill once and had to spend two weeks at home. He said it drove him crazy being with his wife that much but not on holiday together. Their relationship was perfect for them at that time with just three days a week together or longer vacations.

That sort of thing is not really for me but who am I to knock them. They seemed to both be genuinely happy having their own separate lives plus a life that the led together.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb
That sort of thing is not really for me but who am I to knock them. They seemed to both be genuinely happy having their own separate lives plus a life that the led together.
I read an article on this kind of thing a couple of months back and apparently it's quite a popular thing to do these days - they call it something like "Living Apart Together" or similar. Couples keep separate houses and just meet up for a bump a couple of times a week. Apparently, the popularity of this is one of the reasons why we've got a housing shortage at the moment.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 03:58 PM

I read an article on this kind of thing a couple of months back and apparently it's quite a popular thing to do these days - they call it something like "Living Apart Together" or similar. Couples keep separate houses and just meet up for a bump a couple of times a week. Apparently, the popularity of this is one of the reasons why we've got a housing shortage at the moment.
Sure is a nice way to have a wife AND a mistress.

"Honey why are you late"

"Traffic"

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2006, 05:38 AM

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2006, 10:09 PM

risk a wallet-killing divorce, is he?
Joke I heard (far too) often where I used to work:

Do you know why divorces are so expensive?
Because they're worth it.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 22, 2006, 01:53 AM

your lips are flapping, and all I'm seeing is "wow, I just looked really stupid, let me make something up to cover myself".

Railroader
Banned
Apr 22, 2006, 10:04 AM

You are having hallucinations then.

You're the one who looks like the believe everything they read at face value. A truly sorry life.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2006, 02:00 PM

That's a lot of gas used for one person to go to work over 17 years! I'm sure he can afford the gas, but it's not good for the environment or petrol prices, is it?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2006, 02:17 PM

7 hours for 186 miles is pretty damn slow if you ask me. Either way he's nuts.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
7 hours for 186 miles is pretty damn slow if you ask me. Either way he's nuts.
3.5 hrs. for 186, dude. It's 186 single way, so 2 x 186 every day. Takes him 7 hours in total to commute.

-t

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 09:28 AM

Oh. And... 186 miles? That'd only be an hour's commute each way if it wasn't for the stupid commie speed limits.
Providing you could handle a car going at 186 mph... which you could not.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos
Providing you could handle a car going at 186 mph... which you could not.
For less than $10,000 he could build this plane and add the cost of his private pilot's license and his daily commute is down to about an hour and a half each way.

Cruising speed is 180 mph.

KR-2

Speed, economy and range...plus many premolded parts. Designed for the first-time builder.

Utilizing wood and foam/fiberglass construction
No hot-wiring required
Pre-molded parts greatly speed construction time (approximately 800 hours)
A well-proven design with hundreds currently flying
Specifications

Length 14' 6"
Wing Span 20' 8"
Total Wing Area 80 sq. ft.
Empty weight 480 lbs.
Gross weight 900 lbs.
Useful load 420 lbs.
Baggage capacity 35 lbs. max
Take off distance 350 ft.
Landing distance 900 ft.
Stall Speed 52 mph
Maximum Speed 200 mph
Cruise Speed 180 mph
Range 1600 miles (35 gal. fuel)
Rate of Climb (light) 1200 fpm
Rate of Climb (gross) 800 fpm
Service ceiling 15,000 ft.
Engine VW 2100
Fuel 12-35 gal.
Fuel consumption 3.8 gph
Landing gear Fixed conventional or trigear, or retractable conventional
http://www.fly-kr.com/kr2.htm
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by abe
For less than $10,000 he could build this plane and add the cost of his private pilot's license and his daily commute is down to about an hour and a half each way.

Cruising speed is 180 mph.

http://www.fly-kr.com/kr2.htm
'fraid not, that doesn't include everything its just a kit. needs an engine and avionics. at the very least 30000 even if its a used engine.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
'fraid not, that doesn't include everything its just a kit. needs an engine and avionics. at the very least 30000 even if its a used engine.
Someone should do the math, now that you've unveiled the true hardware cost of this time saver.

Gasoline costs for the automobile commute VS the aircraft commute.
Aircraft maintenance VS auto maintenance.
Insurance costs for aircraft VS auto
Depreciation costs for both
Cost of time saved
Cost of pilot's license

The cost of a portable vehicle to get him from airport to work and from work to the airport should be figured. A folding bicycle or non-gasoline engine powered scooter, most likely would be best. You don't want gas fumes in the cockpit, I wouldn't think.

And as the aircraft's fuel consumption would, to some extent, be affected by pilot weight and the method of getting to and from the airport would require burning calories, he could figure on saving money on a health club membership.

And there would be no way to compute the coolness factor.

freudling
Banned
Apr 23, 2006, 07:28 PM

I concur, this guy is stupid.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 09:47 AM

You're the one who looks like the believe everything they read at face value. A truly sorry life.
Yeah, that's only slightly worse than judging the quality of people's lives based on their reaction in a thread.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 24, 2006, 09:53 AM

I'm glad you acknowledge that.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 09:59 AM

So long as you're willing to go down on the same boat as me.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 24, 2006, 10:10 AM

You and I are NOT in the same boat. Relatively speaking, that is.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 10:15 AM

Judging peoples lives on very little information? Au contraire, Mon Frere.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 24, 2006, 10:22 AM

Again, believe what you read. Sad sad sad.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 10:30 AM

You're still being as judgmental as me.

Edit: Hint, saying sad three times in a row doesn't make it any worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules