Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Read

The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Read (Page 2)
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2006, 11:31 PM

^^ oh yes lol

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2006, 11:49 PM

Cody- some people have no more corners to cut... thus pawn shop. Think of it this way- you live paycheck to paycheck, you are behind on the electricity cuz it was warmer than expected last month, so you gotta get some extra work in. You sell something- enabling you to make $100 off the $100 you made selling something.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 01:22 AM

Cody, you have no idea what most people live like. You have posted that you spent over $100k on Apple hardware/software in the last 10 years... some people haven't even earned that much in the last 10 years. You have money to spend so you think that $50-$100 a month is nothing... well to a lot of people it is the difference between pawning their stuff and not pawning it.

To make fun of people and call them stupid because they don't have as much money as you is very low class, but sadly very very common from you. And why would you assume that everyone pawning their stuff smokes? I think it just another one of your many biases... people without much money surely must smoke, right? I mean there can't be any other reasons.

Anyway, I think you shouldn't start or enter any conversation about people too poor to pay for something... you simply can't relate. Even if you could in the past, you obvioulsy can no longer relate with people earning less money than you and/or your husband make.

I feel bad for the people that can't afford gas. About 2 years ago my wife and I had a very tight budget.. each of us had $50 a month to spend outside of our monthly bills. When gas prices started creaping up (and up and up) that extra $100 turned into an extra $50. That $50 split two ways gave us both a whopping $25 a month to spend on anything we wanted. Luckily I got a raise at my job and we now make a few hundred more per month so things aren't as tight, but if I hadn't got that raise the $50 a month we had extra would have slowly been eaten away by the gas prices continuing to increase. And before you say anything, we don't smoke or drink or anything of the sort... some people just don't have the money. I also don't have any large loans or debts outside of our car (which we bought for a whopping $10k) and our home (which cost $87,500).

So the point is, you can't relate, so leave the poor people alone. Or at least quit making fun of them.
( Last edited by torsoboy; Apr 23, 2006 at 01:44 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
So the point is, you can't relate, so leave the poor people alone. Or at least quit making fun of them.
Oingo Bingo

forkies
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 02:44 AM

ouch

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
Oingo Bingo
When someone tells off another poster is it necessary to second the motion?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by forkies
ouch
Pound of flesh?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2006, 08:01 AM

Oh, don't tell me that I don't know what's it's like out there in the big bad world.

I've worked since I was 13 years old. Washed dishes and waited tables at a truck stop. Baled hay in the summer. Painted during college. I was never lazy.

I'd rather go get another job than pawn something of value.

I know all about "making ends meet" so don't try to pull that stunt by saying I don't know what's like.

PUH-LEEZE.

The reason I still work when my husband makes an ample income is because I have a work ethic - which evolved from hard times.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2006, 11:56 AM

Cody: do you think that some people can change so much as to lose sight of this aspect to their lives?

I'm not inferring that this applies to you, but I was having this conversation just the other day with some friends about how circumstances and change can really change perspectives and behavior this way.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by abe
When someone tells off another poster is it necessary to second the motion?
I found it necessary, since Cody seems very out-of-touch with what people who live paycheck to paycheck have to do to survive.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Oh, don't tell me that I don't know what's it's like out there in the big bad world.

I've worked since I was 13 years old. Washed dishes and waited tables at a truck stop. Baled hay in the summer. Painted during college. I was never lazy.

I'd rather go get another job than pawn something of value.

I know all about "making ends meet" so don't try to pull that stunt by saying I don't know what's like.

PUH-LEEZE.

The reason I still work when my husband makes an ample income is because I have a work ethic - which evolved from hard times.

Let me post this again for you...

Even if you could in the past, you obvioulsy can no longer relate with people earning less money than you and/or your husband make.
I believe that you may at one time have been able to relate, and I have no doubt that you have a strong work ethic, I just don't believe that that is the case any longer (the relating to others part). I may be wrong, but judging from your posts in the past few years that is what I (and most others) have come to believe.

And I already know that I have never met you in person (so please don't post the "you don't know me" message that we see so often from you), but after reading a couple thousand posts from you I think most of us know what you are truly like. We read your biases and your bashing and your "i'm great, you suck" posts, and we have kinda come to know who you are... or at least know who you are when you are not accountable for the things you say (as a internet poster). So if you are truly the great, loving, caring, awsome person that you say you are (repeatedly), and you want anyone besides yourself to know it, I think that maybe you should start posting different kinds of mesages instead of posting messages that bash others (that you also do not know) while calling yourself the queen of kindness.

sabrejim
Apr 24, 2006, 03:10 PM

If you are living paycheck to paycheck you are obviously living above how you actually should be living or if you look at it another way, you are living exactly how you should. Don't cry when siht happens and you can't cope. Just ask for an educational discount!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 03:15 PM

What about a man who was injured on the job and now makes d*ck with workman's comp?

If he has to sell his 27" TV so his wife can drive to her two jobs then are they to be the subject of ridicule?

Get a clue everyone.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2006, 03:34 PM

And I already know that I have never met you in person (so please don't post the "you don't know me" message that we see so often from you), but after reading a couple thousand posts from you I think most of us know what you are truly like.
Yep. A gossiping busy-body.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2006, 03:50 PM

Yes, let's all wish WDLove well.

I want you back, WDLove!

Anyone else care to join me in inviting WDLove back?
Yes. WD rocks.

Come back WD.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2006, 03:52 PM

BTW. The time to get really worried is when you can't sell stuff to the pawn shops because they've gone out of business... ...because nobody has enough money to buy anything.

That time is a-comin' folks. Insulate yourselves.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 25, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
I hope Kevin wears sunscreen when he goes outside, it's probably been a while for him.
Wha? I was just at a "ring girl" competition.

4 of them came home with me.
Originally Posted by ironknee
"go back and reread it." and "you don't understand"
I bet you hear that a lot don't you?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 09:53 AM

Hi Kevin:

Howzit?

Now, for all the people who say I "can no longer relate to people having a hard time" or people earning less money, that is SO not true.

I check my grocery receipt twice before leaving a store. I drive to a particular place to save on gasoline. I buy groceries that are on sale and alter what we eat depending on what's on sale. I check prices, shop at Target (I honestly have not bought ANY clothes in a YEAR), shop at Wal-mart (which I despise because of the long lines), and if I can buy something secondhand I will. I shop at Goodwill on Northlake Boulevard in West Palm Beach because they have great kids' clothes - some have never been worn - and toys for the kids, great books, etc. I go to a local place called Faith Farm which is a huge emporium run by AA in conjunction with a church to shop for things that we might need (a broken refrigerator door part, a screen door, etc.,) and the appliances in my kitchen were scratch-and-dent sale items at 60% off from Sears.

I'm very careful with money and if I see a penny on the ground I stop and pick it up.

However, I DO tip well - very well - because I have a soft spot for waiters and waitresses.

Oh, and I also work - about 60 hours a week - because I never want my children to go without food and like Doofy said, hard times (REALLY hard times) might be right around the corner.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 09:35 PM

Hi Kevin:

Howzit?

Now, for all the people who say I "can no longer relate to people having a hard time" or people earning less money, that is SO not true.

I check my grocery receipt twice before leaving a store. I drive to a particular place to save on gasoline. I buy groceries that are on sale and alter what we eat depending on what's on sale. I check prices, shop at Target (I honestly have not bought ANY clothes in a YEAR), shop at Wal-mart (which I despise because of the long lines), and if I can buy something secondhand I will. I shop at Goodwill on Northlake Boulevard in West Palm Beach because they have great kids' clothes - some have never been worn - and toys for the kids, great books, etc. I go to a local place called Faith Farm which is a huge emporium run by AA in conjunction with a church to shop for things that we might need (a broken refrigerator door part, a screen door, etc.,) and the appliances in my kitchen were scratch-and-dent sale items at 60% off from Sears.

I'm very careful with money and if I see a penny on the ground I stop and pick it up.

However, I DO tip well - very well - because I have a soft spot for waiters and waitresses.

Oh, and I also work - about 60 hours a week - because I never want my children to go without food and like Doofy said, hard times (REALLY hard times) might be right around the corner.
OK then- let's leave the pawners alone cuz they have no security blanket-- they may already work 2 or 3 jobs, they may smoke, they may just be providin' perhaps they are independent truck drivers or long commuters. Whatever- let's move on. Cody is doin her thing, they are doin theirs.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 09:56 PM

Hi Kevin:

Howzit?

We're all very proud of you. Does that give you the right to generalize and ridicule anyone who's sold something to pay for gas? Sorry, but unless you've got personal insight to the financial problems of each and every person who's found him/herself to be in such a position, you're being a judgmental twit. If you relate, then you should know that you're in no position to be condescending.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 10:33 PM

not to mention that high gas prices also means higher food prices

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 27, 2006, 01:18 AM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 04:24 AM

I like to do the old "Compare the Price of Gas 50 years ago to the minimum wage/ average US wage then adjust for inflation and compare it to the current minimum wage/ average wage and new average gas prices" game. Its quite fun and educational! Plus it ticks off my parents.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 27, 2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
Fixed.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules