Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shopped Your Local Apple Store Lately?

Shopped Your Local Apple Store Lately?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 10:53 PM

I did and bought some things, but was surprised to find that business is astoundingly slow. VERY slow. I was shocked by how slow it was in there. Even the employees were kind of glum about it, just standing around and chatting. I was the only one in there for about half an hour while we chatted about the G5 systems (I was trying to rationalize buying one... ) and I was really surprised at how quiet it was. I asked if this was the only store and he said, "Actually, I hear that sales are down nationally at all the stores."

So what gives? Why the downturn in sales?

I think we should all patronize our local stores and help them all out. Imagine if Apple closed the stores?

(P.S., No, I did not request a student discount. )

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:01 PM

Well, you did go on a Weds night...

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:03 PM

Were you at Wellington or Gardens? Gardens seems to be slow during the week usually, Wellington has been pretty busy every-time I went it there.

Oh, and get the G5, that can be your newest contribution to the cause

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 11:03 PM

I know I'm always seeming to be the anti-Cody... but didn't we just have a thread on this within the last 24 hours?

Anyway, I bought an iPod 30 gig at the Apple store a few months ago.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Visnaut
Senior User
May 3, 2006, 11:18 PM

Every time I've passed by the Apple Store here in Yorkdale, usually on the weekends, it is consistently packed. Granted, it's a small store, but it's a rather strong showing of people.

With the new Eaton Centre store opening here soon, I'm assuming that after the New Store Smell™ wears off, crowds will be a bit more spread out due to there being two locations to handle the masses, not even taking into account the larger square footage of the new place.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 11:18 PM

They don't have them in my province... that said the whole Intel switch is probably responsible. Wait till the end of the summer and we'll see a good turn around I bet.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:28 PM

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably seasonal. The school year is ending, no holidays to boost sales. They can't be doing that bad, as I just heard today Apple is opening a second retail store in Milwaukee this fall.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN

No, I was at Boca Raton.

They're usually very busy and they were s-l-o-w.

Even the Kabbalah kiosk seems to be missing - books, red string bracelets, and all.

I bought no hardware tonight, nothing significant anyway. Played with the G5 and chatted a bit. I didn't go to the mall to go to the Apple Store, anyway; I had to pick up a gift for a friend's new baby and I wandered into the Apple Store afterwards.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite

Chicago & Schumburg (sub of chicago) are always slammed when I'm there.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut
Every time I've passed by the Apple Store here in Yorkdale, usually on the weekends, it is consistently packed.
Ya same here, even on weekdays it is always full of people, I have never seen less than 30 people in it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:50 PM

Apple Stores are annoying as hell. The moment you walk in five skinny guys with spikey hair swarm you and ask if you need help. And then they take rotations and ask you again every five minutes. And they typically don't know sh*t about Apple products.

If it wasn't for my EDU discount, I would never shop at Apple retail stores.

meelk
Baninated
May 3, 2006, 11:54 PM

my state doesnt even have one that I know of. I find it amazing some places have 2 and 3 in close proximity.

edit: yep, not a one in my entire state. haha
( Last edited by meelk; May 4, 2006 at 12:01 AM. )

ink
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:56 PM

The last time I tried to return something (an iPod that my dad didn't want for Christmas), they wanted to charge a re-stocking fee... I think it was 20% of the price. Since then, I just buy my Apple stuff at CompUSA instead; besides, they have much better parking and a lot more stuff to choose from.

I suppose I would probably return to the Apple store to get something on the day it comes out (CompUSA is always a week or so behind, it seems) -- but other than that, why bother?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 11:58 PM

There are no spikey-haired salespeople at our local Apple Stores. None that I know of anyway. Most of the people here are older, say, mid-to-late thirties and even a few older than that. I think Apple must hire for the local sector, you know? We have a lot of older folks down here who probably feel safer buying from someone more mature than a punk rocker.

CompUSA is okay...but the Apple Store is a lot nicer. I love just hanging there, browsing things. I only wish they'd add a coffee bar run by a Mac Genius.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
There are no spikey-haired salespeople at our local Apple Stores. None that I know of anyway. Most of the people here are older, say, mid-to-late thirties and even a few older than that. I think Apple must hire for the local sector, you know? We have a lot of older folks down here who probably feel safer buying from someone more mature than a punk rocker.

CompUSA is okay...but the Apple Store is a lot nicer. I love just hanging there, browsing things. I only wish they'd add a coffee bar run by a Mac Genius.

Yeah it probably depends on the store and how new it is. I bet when a new Apple store opens it tends to attract all trendy Mac kiddies wanting a cool job with Apple.

The Apple store in Nashville is fairly new and is in a very upscale shopping mall. We have a private Apple dealer here named Mac Authority and they are top notch. Very friendly, mature, and knowledgeable. If they could just give me my edu discount I'd buy everything from them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 03:19 AM

I went to the UTC Apple Store a couple of weeks back and it seemed lively. They had two people checking out, and I was, like, third or fourth in my line. Looked healthy to me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:50 AM

Here in San Fran, I can rarely find a seat in the showcase area to use my laptop, it's too busy with non apple users leeching off the free internet. The Smoochers should at least get a mac ...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I asked if this was the only store and he said, "Actually, I hear that sales are down nationally at all the stores."
I really don't want to say I warned everyone, but. . . If this third hand report is accurate, it validates my admonition that the Intel defection and the depreciation of our platform would come home to haunt Apple. But perhaps this is part of Jobs' master plan to ruin the company and then perform a reverse takeover of a larger beleaguered corporation suffering the repercussions of a failed OS rewrite.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 08:20 AM

The store by me is NEVER empty.

Maybe they knew you were coming

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Kevin
Baninated
May 4, 2006, 08:28 AM

Never been to an Apple store. Never felt the need.

meelk
Baninated
May 4, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I really don't want to say I warned everyone, but. . . If this third hand report is accurate, it validates my admonition that the Intel defection and the depreciation of our platform would come home to haunt Apple. But perhaps this is part of Jobs' master plan to ruin the company and then perform a reverse takeover of a larger beleaguered corporation suffering the repercussions of a failed OS rewrite.
time of year, nothing more. happens in retail every year from feb-sept/oct

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 08:46 AM

Well, emailed a friend who works at Wellington and she said that they've been DEAD, starman. Sales are way down. Ditto for Palm Beach Gardens a little further north.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 10:44 AM

I really don't want to say I warned everyone, but. . . If this third hand report is accurate, it validates my admonition that the Intel defection and the depreciation of our platform would come home to haunt Apple.
Oh gimmie a break. Maybe 1 in 10,000 mac fans feel that way but you really think you iMac/iPod user gives a crap that PPC chips aren't in the machines anymore?

If anything it will bring more people in to check out bootcamp.

This is a slow time of year, end of story.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 11:04 AM

emailed a friend of mine who works at the apple store at "the somerset collection" in troy, MI, and she said they're always pretty well packed for about 11 out of 12 hours a day they are open, she mentioned a lull between 6 and 7.

nothing to see here.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 11:36 AM

Didn't the NY Apple Store extend their Genius Bar hours to midnight becuase they're so busy?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 11:41 AM

Ok, since the stores in Florida are empty, this means that Apple is dead.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Ok, since the stores in Florida are empty, this means that Apple is dead.
I think it means all the old people in florida are dead.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Didn't the NY Apple Store extend their Genius Bar hours to midnight becuase they're so busy?
Yes, the SoHo, NYC store is in no danger of ever running out of customers. Even when they finish the enormous cube store up on 59th street (supposedly open 24/7), I'm sure they'll both do well.

If you ever need reassurance that there is still interest in Apple/Macs, just go to the SoHo apple store.

"I start fires!"

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 12:07 PM

Yeah, the SoHo store is beyond packed every single time I go down there. Even to buy Nano tubes I had to wait in line for literally 25 minutes to check out. The design is beyond atrocious at the store. Slowwwww lines, the same cashiers doing loan approvals and pickups as the ones who are checking out small item purchases....HATE HATE HATE the SoHo store. Give me Amazon.com ANY day.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2006, 12:24 PM

I really don't want to say I warned everyone, but. . . If this third hand report is accurate, it validates my admonition that the Intel defection and the depreciation of our platform would come home to haunt Apple.
Not really. That's a bit cart-before-the-horse. The simple fact that people weren't going to Apple stores wouldn't prove that moving to Intel processors is causing damage to Apple. It's like saying, "A thunderstorm! That's proof that Zeus is angry!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 12:27 PM

I think it just points to the fact that in SOME markets the sales are seasonal. Like in Florida. Someone else up there ^ said that it's the end of the school year and the tourist season is over so I guess that must be what it is, at least in our area.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 02:38 PM

^

A couple of anecdotal tales from store employees does not the true picture tell. According to everything I'm reading, Apple is still doing very well in sales, and the analysts are still very pleased with its direction. When store emplyees start generalizing about sales, it's time to tune them out.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:06 PM

It's not surprising there's a dwindle in sales during the transition period--no one wants Macs with old CPUs and many are wary of getting the new ones because so many apps still run under Rosetta--but for the long term I can bet you dollars to dimes that the move to Intel will do nothing but good to Apple. At least if they keep on delivering fast processors.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 4, 2006, 03:21 PM

Keep in mind the iBook Apple's best seller is STILL without an update. As well as the top of the line pro machine. In other words, two of Apple's most important products are still out to lunch. After WWDC when the PowerMacs are updated then we can start seeing whether the switch really had any negative long lasting effects.

baw
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:23 PM

Apple store in Cincinnati is always packed when I go there.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:31 PM

They don't sell software at education discounts... so I don't buy from their stores.

I purchased an iBook in July of 05, and it's still the most up to date iBood But the iBook to come will be a monster regarding speed.

porieux
Baninated
May 4, 2006, 04:53 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:37 AM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 05:50 PM

Not my experience. Every time I go in there it's like a grand opening
and I have to stand in line for hours.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
I've never ever had that experience in the many Apple stores I have visited.
If anything, it's hard to find someone to help you if you need something...

Maybe it is your geographic region...
yeah it probably is.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

Blah blah blah. We all know how you feel about the intel transition.

Maybe people are not buying all their Intel macs in the stores even if they have one in their area? Did that ever occur to you?

I don't have an Apple store in my area but my MBP was the first mac I had bought online from the online apple store. My previous mac purchases like the pbook and eMac were both bought at a local dealer.

I think you are jumping to conclusions which fit in with your well known prejudice. Or maybe you are not prejudice at all and you are just jealous.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
Yeah, the SoHo store is beyond packed every single time I go down there. Even to buy Nano tubes I had to wait in line for literally 25 minutes to check out. The design is beyond atrocious at the store. Slowwwww lines, the same cashiers doing loan approvals and pickups as the ones who are checking out small item purchases....HATE HATE HATE the SoHo store. Give me Amazon.com ANY day.
i dont know if this is at all the stores, the apple store in cambridge, the floor clerks have portable telling machines they wear around there necks, have save me from mucho line time on a few occasions

edit: hehe, i made it to the second page

Forum Links
Forum Rules