Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual Channel RAM on iMac

Dual Channel RAM on iMac
hndsmman
May 14, 2006, 03:47 AM

Does the Intel iMac have support for dual channel RAM? The reason for me asking this is that I'm trying to make a descision whether to get 1x1GB or 2x512MB of RAM on the 20" iMac I'm looking at. I used to mainly be a PC person, and in PCs 2x512 always beats 1x1GB, but I'm not sure if it's different for macs. Thanks.

hndsmman  (op)
May 14, 2006, 04:39 PM

Haha! My question was answered by mduell's sig. And I quote: "All of the Intel Macs support 4GB RAM (2x2GB) and asymmetric dual channel (matched pairs are not needed)." Thanks mduell! I guess I'll be getting 2x512MB since I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. >1GB is just excessive, don't you think?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Def Jef
. >1GB is just excessive, don't you think?
I think more than 4 gig is excessive. I have 1.5 gigs in my iMac and find it to be enough at present. I am wondering what performance will be like with 1 GB RAM, as for the time being, when I get my MacBook, I am planning to take 512 out of my iMac and put it into the MacBook, making it 1 Gig in each
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hndsmman  (op)
May 14, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
when I get my MacBook, I am planning to take 512 out of my iMac and put it into the MacBook, making it 1 Gig in each
Sorry to break this to you, but you just can't do that. A desktop DDR2 module is a 240 pin DIMM, whereas a notebook DDR2 module is a 200 pin SO-DIMM.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 05:38 PM

Sorry to break this to you, but you just can't do that. A desktop DDR2 module is a 240 pin DIMM, whereas a notebook DDR2 module is a 200 pin SO-DIMM.

The intel iMacs use so-dimms also same as the MBPs
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 06:00 PM

As said above, all the new Intel Macs - desktop or laptop - so far use the exact same memory modules - SODIMMs of DDR2 memory running at (IIRC) 667 Mhz.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hndsmman  (op)
May 14, 2006, 06:34 PM

Oh wow, that's weird. I'm sorry for being a noob

I'm used to PCs, where it would be ridonkulous to have notebook memory in a desktop.

So do you think I should go dual channel or leave room for upgrades? I'm personally leaning towards dual channel, but I could be swayed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules