Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next Apple desktop?

Next Apple desktop?
bobsaget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 05:42 PM

Hi,

Is Apple going to make a workstation-like desktop to replace the PowerMac G5? One with the new Intel chips? If so, have they said when it's going to happen?

Or are they moving away from that and are just going to make consumer-oriented desktops like the iMac and mac mini etc.?

I tried to search for this but wasn't sure what to look for.

thanks

hndsmman
May 12, 2006, 05:44 PM

Yes, they're going to make a desktop called the "Mac Pro", and it will be released sometime before June.

bobsaget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 06:10 PM

thanks for the quick reply...looks like that'll be the one i wait for (currently stuck in pc land)

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 06:41 PM

Before June? Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.

The Mac Pro will definitely be released no later than Apple's WWDC on August 7th. Possibly before.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 10:37 PM

Yes, but probably not before June.
The appropriate chips from Intel will be released in June (Woodcrest, SMP capable dual and quadcore CPUs) or July (Conroe, dual and quadcore CPUs), so I expect we'll see the new towers in July or August.

hndsmman
May 13, 2006, 01:59 AM

Sure that's what you've heard lately, but Apple promised way back last year that all of its macs would be intel by june.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Def Jef
Sure that's what you've heard lately, but Apple promised way back last year that all of its macs would be intel by june.
Care to show a link that says that? They said the end of 06 originally.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 04:23 AM

Ye they deff said 'in this calender year', so thats Decemeber....

Besides, don't go saying 'Yes, it'll be called the Mac Pro and it will be out in June' - you can't verify any of that, so don't say it like it is fact
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

P
May 13, 2006, 08:58 AM

You're off by a year. All Macs would be Intel by June '07, but there was some hedging there that indicated that the Xserve might be late. The promise for June '06 was that the first models with Intel chips would be shipping. You can see the slides here.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by P
You're off by a year. All Macs would be Intel by June '07, but there was some hedging there that indicated that the Xserve might be late. The promise for June '06 was that the first models with Intel chips would be shipping. You can see the slides here.
You are off by 6 months. Apple originally said they would be shipping Intel Macs by June 06, with the transition finished by sometime in 07 when they announced the switch, however since then at MWSF, they said all their products would be Intel in this calender year, meaning by the end of '06
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hndsmman
May 13, 2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
You are off by 6 months. Apple originally said they would be shipping Intel Macs by June 06, with the transition finished by sometime in 07 when they announced the switch, however since then at MWSF, they said all their products would be Intel in this calender year, meaning by the end of '06
1/2 pwnt

P
May 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Please read the post I replied to and quoted in my post.

Emphasis mine. "way back last year", at last year's WWDC, Apple promised that all Macs would be Intel by June '07. Earlier this year, that plan was changed.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by P
Please read the post I replied to and quoted in my post.
Ah yes, my bad. Btw, I wasn't trying to be stern when I put you in bold, I was emphasising it for some reason, dont remember why though

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 02:51 PM

All I can imagine is a Dual "quad core", imagine that 8 cores in one machine *lust*
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

hndsmman
May 14, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by P
Emphasis mine. "way back last year", at last year's WWDC, Apple promised that all Macs would be Intel by June '07. Earlier this year, that plan was changed.
No need to be snotty about it. I was wrong, you were right.

P
May 16, 2006, 04:11 PM

I didn't mean to be snotty. I tried to explain it briefly, and if it came across as snotty I apologise.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Before June? Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.

The Mac Pro will definitely be released no later than Apple's WWDC on August 7th. Possibly before.
Announced maybe but prob won't ship till September.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

hndsmman
May 16, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by P
I didn't mean to be snotty. I tried to explain it briefly, and if it came across as snotty I apologise.
No worries

The only mac left that still has a powerpc proc is the Power Mac. I'm sure they'll release the "mac pro" within 1-2 months.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Announced maybe but prob won't ship till September.
Nah, I think its more likely that Jobs will announce the desktops at WWDC if they were to announce them in 06.

Mike
~Mike

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 09:29 AM

Def Jam.

I hope you can see that all of this is speculation. Though it looks like most of these assumptions will most likely be true. The WWDC conference would be the best opportunity for Apple to release the "Mac Pros" (I hope they have a better name). But the truth is, none of us actually know when any of this will happen.

You can bet that it will be one fast booger though! (whenever it comes out)
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 11:23 AM

I thought the 64 bit chips don't even come out of Intel until September?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

P
May 17, 2006, 12:36 PM

Intel already sells 64-bit chips - the Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds have "EM64T" now. The first 64-bit Core Duos are Woodcrest (server chips), which (According to Mark above, but I think I've seen it somewhere else as well) will be released in June. The others, Conroe (desktop) and Merom (laptop) follow after that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by P
Intel already sells 64-bit chips - the Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds have "EM64T" now. The first 64-bit Core Duos are Woodcrest (server chips), which (According to Mark above, but I think I've seen it somewhere else as well) will be released in June. The others, Conroe (desktop) and Merom (laptop) follow after that.
Yeah, Intel has scheduled Woodcrest for June (serves & workstations), Conroe for July (desktops) and Merom for August (notebooks). They go by the official name "Core 2 Duo" and all support extended memory / 64 bits "EM64T".

cal-ov-whe
May 17, 2006, 08:14 PM

I'm usually indifferent towards names and more concerned with the actual product, but "Mac Pro" is REALLY an awful name for a computer. If Steve Jobs just wants "Mac" in the name of all the Apple computers, why change "PowerMac" when "iMac" and "Mac Mini" were kept through the intel switch?

*shakes head* Mac Pro...pssh.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzjackrabbit86
If Steve Jobs just wants "Mac" in the name of all the Apple computers, why change "PowerMac" when "iMac" and "Mac Mini" were kept through the intel switch?
"Power Mac" (yes, there is a space in between) was what they started calling their pro machines when the PowerPC was introduced. Now it's no longer being used, hence Steve wants to get rid of the 'Power' part. Like it or not, chances are, the current name's a goner.

hndsmman
May 18, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
"Power Mac" (yes, there is a space in between) was what they started calling their pro machines when the PowerPC was introduced. Now it's no longer being used, hence Steve wants to get rid of the 'Power' part. Like it or not, chances are, the current name's a goner.
Yes, and to elaborate on that, Apple wants to make a consistent naming scheme throughout its computers instead of just having random names. i.e.

Mac Book
Mac Book Pro
Mac Mini
Mac Pro

P
May 18, 2006, 11:31 AM

But the two Macbooks are very similar in shape - the iMac and the Powermac are much more different. Mactower or TowerMac or something is better, to emphasize the market for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules