Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Easy remove of HD in new MBP revision too?

Easy remove of HD in new MBP revision too?
iSoul Monkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 03:45 AM

Since it became easier to remove the HD with the MacBook I'm asking myself if Appe will make this possible with the next revision for the MBP's too. Sure you never know for sure what Apple plans, but the MacBook got the MagSafe too.

Currently the layout of the MBP doesn't support an easy remove of the HD so the layout needs to be changed to do so. But since Apple probably knew for a couple of month that the "feature" will be included with the MacBook so why did Apple not prepare the MBP layout to make this possible with the MBP's too?

Maybe because this feature is newer than the MBP layout or because Apple has no intention to allow MBP owners to remove their HD easily.

Was the layout of the G4 PowerBooks changed over time? Do you think Apple will change the layout of the quite new MBP to allow an easy remove of the HD?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:00 AM

It's quite possible

A new MBP (with Merom) can be expected in Fall. Maybe they'll redesign it the way they redesigned the iBook to become the MB. Currently the MBP is a PB G4 with a new logic board and iSight/FrontRow. There's a lot of room for improvement. Since Intel was capable of delivering Yonah a lot earlier than most (including probably Apple) expected, they might have somewhat rushed the MBP design. Now that they finished redesigned the MB, they have plenty of time to do a thorough rehaul of the MBP.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 07:57 AM

I think Steve wanted the MBP out in January, when the desginers really thought that they were going to have more time - I think the MacBooks are an idea of what road they were going down, but had to hold off on because they could not be ready in time. I think the iMac and the MBP will be considerably different in the future.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by iSoul Monkey
Was the layout of the G4 PowerBooks changed over time?
Yes, and interestingly enough, the position of the HD was changed too.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 06:20 PM

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away. It's equally likely that the MB won't have a user serviceable HD in the next revision. The Titanium HD was user serviceable, a totally neat feature, and yet it wasn't possible in the AlPB. Apple isn't immune from making bonehead decisions.

Interestingly enough, edu admins are lamenting the ease with which both HD and RAM can now be swiped from MBs in computer labs. They're hoping for some method of locking down the battery compartment. Also, a lot of schools have strict policies against webcams in school labs (or in school laptops.) Basically because, no matter how tight or how strict the user agreement is written, they feel they'll be liable is some kids make abusive or dirty videos of themselves or of someone they're bullying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules