Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone still using Sherlock?

Anyone still using Sherlock?
eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 09:44 AM

I thought of this the other day. I used to use the movies channel all the time, but at some point I swtiched to using Yahoo movies to get the same information. Don't remember why anymore.

Just curious. In my case the answer is "no", but I wasn't ever a big Sherlock user in the first place.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 10:19 AM

Nope.

W-i-d-g-e-t-s.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2006, 10:43 AM

I don't think I've launched Sherlock in 1.5 years, on any of my 3 Macs.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 10:46 AM

I never liked Sherlock (nor Watson). I haven't used it in years.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 01:43 PM

I still use Watson all the time for tracking stocks and the odd machine translation.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 02:00 PM

I never liked Sherlock even when it was relevant. I now use Dashboard widgets for all that kind of stuff.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 08:17 PM

So what do you use as a replacement for Sherlock's movie channel? I LOVED that, and have tried three or four movie widgets, all of which suck. I want to be able to look at all movies playing in my area, with which theatres are showing them at what time, and all movie theatres, with what they are showing, with a brief synopsis of what the movie is. I mourne Sherlock's movie channel dieing.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by peeb
So what do you use as a replacement for Sherlock's movie channel? I LOVED that, and have tried three or four movie widgets, all of which suck. I want to be able to look at all movies playing in my area, with which theatres are showing them at what time, and all movie theatres, with what they are showing, with a brief synopsis of what the movie is. I mourne Sherlock's movie channel dieing.
You have to do what the rest of the planet always had to do and look on the individual theatre chains own websites. As 99% of ALL the Sherlock channels never worked outside of the USA I hardly ever used it at all (unless you count using it as the replacement for 'Find FIle' in OS9).

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 01:28 PM

Yah Sherlock 3 really never made much sense to me. I remember it being demoed and thinking OK cool... and go figure we're all still using the browser.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 01:38 PM

I used Sherlock only when I *had* to—when Apple removed the regular Find function from the Finder! I always found it easier just to visit the relevant websites than to mess with those channels. And now, Dashboard widgets take the place of some of Sherlock's functions. For movies I just visit Northbaymovies.com which lists all the theaters in the north bay area, very quick and very easy. The movie listing widgets out there all suck.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

gradient
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 02:12 PM

If your in Canada, try http://www.cinemaclock.com/ for movie listings - every theatre in most cities are there.

kw14
May 18, 2006, 03:11 PM

I use its dictionary every now and then. The product never really excited me much. Where are all the Sherlock/Watson fans? There was such a big stink back when.

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 06:41 PM

"So what do you use as a replacement for Sherlock's movie channel? ...I mourne Sherlock's movie channel dieing."

Hmmm. Mine is still working, and it is in fact the only thing I use Sherlock for. Watson was better, before it was bought out and broken.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 09:39 PM

Isn't Sherlock going to be left out of 10.5? I thought I'd read that it was dead, but not yet buried.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 11:15 PM

I found it useless up in Canada as noted above. I won't miss it one bit...
My Blog-pakos.me

Franz
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 11:15 PM

I only use it for Movies Times which is very useful.

Other then that there's not much use for it.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 09:16 AM

My movie funciton on Sherlock breaks sometimes. I'd looked up a fix before (in my desktop) and just looked it up again for my laptop.

Here's a linkhttp://discussions.apple.com/thread....38449&#1138449

In case I did that part wrong, the essential steps are to trash the "web foundation" folder, located in user/library/cache/Sherlock.

I use Sherlock very infrequently and solely for the movie listings. But they're handy for that, b/c my kids, especially, can see all the viewing optinos at one time.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006, 12:02 PM

Never used it in the first place, too US centric.
Not that I use widgets either, I would if there was a UK tv listing one which just showed the 5 main channels and whats on them now and next in a nice way and all on one page (neither of which the current one achieves)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by peeb
That is exactly my problem. I use Sherlock now only for the Movie channel, but since it seems the quicktime preview portion of the window never loads the preview.

Tried several widgets and they either take you to some website or just really suck in the CPU/RAM usage area, or simply don't work.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

brapper
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 01:56 AM

I don't think I ever used Sherlock. Seemed jsut as much effort to load that program up as it was to actually go to the relevant website.
I think the word I'm looking for is redundant.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:01 PM

I use a widget called Marquee to show times for all relevant theatres in my Zip code. For trailers, I use Apple's Quicktime page. I don't read brief synopses of movies, so I can't help you there. A movie's trailer pretty much tells me what I need to know.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 08:19 PM

I still use Sherlock to check my spanish. I know there is the widget, but it only really likes small bits of text. Sherlock is a translation workhorse for me... That's it.

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules