Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Dilemma

iTunes Dilemma
YY911DC
May 20, 2006, 08:13 AM

Ok, I have come across a very potential problem. Over the years, my itunes library has grown by leaps and bounds. I have 3 machines. 1 Powerbook G4, 1 Powermac G5 and 1 PC (All with the same basic itunes library. However, with all three machines, I have different music in different location.

I blew out my laptop a few days ago and reinstalled OSX on it. I copied my music library onto a firewire drive. I also blew out my PC and copied that music library into another music folder onto the saem firewire drive. I also have my library on my main machine that I am typing from now.

What is the easiest way to merge all 3 library's into one massive library onto my G5 without over writing anything?

ANy suggestions?

Thanks

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 09:17 PM

Easiest way would be to pick one of the machines (which you have done), and drag the folder that contains all your music (or subfolders of all y our music) into the iTunes Library window. Once you do that, iTunes will copy the new music (or old music, in your case) into the new library. I don't think that it overwrites files, because when I've purchased a song from iTunes, and then purchased the album later, it has allowed two versions of the same file to exist. It just names the files differently on the backend.

Once you have your libraries all merged, run the command in iTunes to check for duplicates. Then, at your own pace, you can delete any copies of the same songs that you have.

Before you do anything, back up the library that you are copying everything else into, just in case something goes wrong during the import process. It sounds like you have a lot of files, so make backups of all three (two of which you have already backed up) libraries first.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

There are utilities out there specifically for this purpose. Google (or Macupdate, or Versiontracker) "merge itunes libraries".

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules