Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod users steal music lol

iPod users steal music lol
Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 12:08 PM

http://www.ipodhub.net/articles/2006...pod_users.html

That man who runs Real said this can you believe

If you want interoperable music today, there is a very easy solution: it's called stealing. The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25, and there are many more songs on iPods than 25. About half the music on iPods is music obtained illegitimately either from an illegal peer-to-peer networks or from ripping friends' CDs, which is illegal.
Sad man.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:13 PM

Well in the case of everyone with an iPod that I know it is true.

Still, it is pretty much the same with every kind of player.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Well in the case of everyone with an iPod that I know it is true.

Still, it is pretty much the same with every kind of player.
That's what he should say instead he goes and attacks one player and us users like we should go to jail for buying an iPod.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 12:15 PM

My friend Andy gave me the Mp4s of a Dream Theater CD he had (illegally) I then bought 3 Dream Theater CDs (legally)

Does this industry have it's collective head up it's ass or what?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:16 PM

having fun talking with yourself SWG? to stay on topic, i too have done this, mostly to try out a cd. i than go out and buy the cds that i like and usually delete the cds i dont like. some cd files i have though you can not find in stores at all, those ones ive gotten from friends ....for the most part.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
having fun talking with yourself SWG?
That ghost dude ain't me.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 12:19 PM

I beginning to think he needs to add that to his sig

Not SWG™

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I beginning to think he needs to add that to his sig

Not SWG™
I ask the corpse guy to do that and he did.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 12:22 PM

Agreed I used to get confused... now I just think it's annoying that he's ripping off SWG's thing. Next thing you know he's gonna put a Mac converted to a cartoony chicken in his sig!

That said nearly all the music on my iPod is bought and paid for. The rest I can't get on CD or on iTunes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
iPod users steal music lol
And so do owners of other MP3 players, discmans, walkmans, MD players, CD writers etc.
What's his point ?

-t

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Agreed I used to get confused... now I just think it's annoying that he's ripping off SWG's thing. Next thing you know he's gonna put a Mac converted to a cartoony chicken in his sig!

That said nearly all the music on my iPod is bought and paid for. The rest I can't get on CD or on iTunes.
This should have been a poll on what percentage of music on your iPod is paid for.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 12:43 PM

Yes, it's true. ONLY people with iPods steal music. People with a Creative MP3 player, or any other are complete law abiding citizens and buy ALL their music legally....please

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:50 PM

I have 3200 songs. I'd say about 30% of them are from my own CD rips. Zero are from the Applestore and the rest are downloaded.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 12:56 PM

I have 3200 songs. I'd say about 30% of them are from my own CD rips. Zero are from the Applestore and the rest are downloaded.
I only have 300 songs. 99% from old CDs and relatives. Have to admit I don't have an iPod

Rumor
May 11, 2006, 12:57 PM

What's the number for the RIAA?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
What's the number for the RIAA?
You can give them my home number if you want. I live in Canada so they don't have a case.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

A very large portion of the music on the iPod I use was obtained through less than legal means.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 01:54 PM

If you want interoperable music today, there is a very easy solution: it's called stealing. The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25, and there are many more songs on iPods than 25. About half the music on iPods is music obtained illegitimately either from an illegal peer-to-peer networks or from ripping friends' CDs, which is illegal.
What about music that was ripped from CDs the person already owned? Oh, and music bought at other music stores. What about music bought from a friend? How about used CDs or CDs given to people as gifts? How about music that was traded with a friend or colleague? How about CDs bought off eBay? How about free music acquired through pormotions? I just got 2 free MP3 downloads complimenets the U.S. National Guard.

I think that guy kinda forgot that legal, legitimately acquired music can come from other places than the iTunes Music Store.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 01:55 PM

I have 40 gigs of music.

60% ripped from CDs I own
20% Ripped from friends CDs
5% from iTunes
15% illegal downloads

When I was younger, I used to buy a lot of CDs, then I dropped off quite a bit. From the age of 22-28 I'd only buy one or two CDs a year.

However, after getting my iPod, I now buy 2 or 3 CDs a month. Sure a lot of my songs are coming from less then legal places, but I'm still putting more money into the music industry then I ever have. A lot more. And it's all thanks to the iPod.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 02:28 PM

So I guess he thinks noone listens to stolen music on a Real Player?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 03:37 PM

The guy is obviously a moron. It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots get paid to write columns of pure garbage. I really need a job like that. I can just sit back and spew out total crap without any sort of research or forethought and I get a nice paycheck a the end of the week.

I just wish places like the MacNN front page wouldn't post this drivel. It only encourages them with page hits.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
The guy is obviously a moron. It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots get paid to write columns of pure garbage. I really need a job like that. I can just sit back and spew out total crap without any sort of research or forethought and I get a nice paycheck a the end of the week.
lol everyone BUT MacNN reported it. NN will probably have it online by the end of the day.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 04:32 PM

I should note that I have nearly 200 albums on my iPod, totalling together 2400 songs. And the only ones that I haven't ripped from CDs are because I can't get the CD. Or because the band was giving away the tracks.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
So I guess he thinks noone listens to stolen music on a Real Player?
I think his problem is that no one listens to ANY music on Real Player....
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
I think his problem is that no one listens to ANY music on Real Player....
I use it to watch news.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 04:55 PM

lol everyone BUT MacNN reported it. NN will probably have it online by the end of the day.
It's on the front page.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...s.steal.music/

It was posted before your post here.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
It's on the front page.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...s.steal.music/

It was posted before your post here.
Completely missed it. I'm used to big fonts and simple designs like iPod Hub, The Register, Aint It Cool News etc I can't even read my posts here my eyes hurt so bad. It's hard being a ghost.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 05:13 PM

The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25…

Yeah… to be under average is not cool, huh Mr. Real dude?

dreamryche
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 01:30 AM

Of my 3300+ songs:
80% ripped from own CDs
5% downloaded legally (from iTunes, indie labels, artists' sites, etc.)
5% ripped from friends' CDs
10% downloaded illegally or otherwise received mp3s from friends (mostly import stuff that I can't afford)

Dr.Michael
May 12, 2006, 04:51 AM

How is the law in everybodys country?

In germany it is allowed to copy a cd and give it to a CLOSE friend. Taking money, even 50 cent for the sparse cd, makes it illegal of course. And breaking a copy protection is illegal too.

But it would be perfectly ok to share hundreds of songs with your closest friends and put them on their iPods too.

I have like 13 GB of songs on my Powerbook, a very small minority (perhaps 1%) has been downloaded from napster, when it still was a independent p2p network. The rest exists as cd in my drawers or in my gfs drawer or in a collegues shelf, with whom I exchange audiobooks.

Breaking a copy protection is also legally a gray zone. You are allowed to have a copy of your music for backup or for the car. But you cannot do it if the cd is copy protected. So an explicit permission stands against a law here.

I personally wouldn't buy a cd that I have to use directly in my car, because in summer the heat harms the disk and music quality.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 12, 2006 at 05:02 AM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 12, 2006, 09:02 AM

I think you should be able to share your music with your family members because you share your money with them too.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 09:06 AM

I think it's hilarious that iPod users steal music.

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2006, 10:22 AM

2131 items, the ones not from ITMS are ripped from my CDs or free downloads. Steal music? Not on your life!

I have to wonder where Mr. Real got his numbers...some bodily orifice?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Salty
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 01:25 PM

I should also note all the songs I downloaded over Xfactor were after the ruling that it was entirely legal in Canada

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2006, 01:58 PM

Screw 'em.

Ten years ago they were rubbing their hands together at the prospect of delivering (selling) their other media (films, etc) to everyone via the 'net and consequently pushed the bandwidth up to broadband being standard. Then when it comes back to bite them on the backside they're whining like hippies at a monster truck show. Idiots.

I'm intrigued by this though:

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
In germany it is allowed to copy a cd and give it to a CLOSE friend.
How do they legally define a CLOSE friend? You've licked beer off each others' faces at a party in the presence of witnesses? You've both seen each others' sisters naked? What? ??
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dr.Michael
May 14, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I'm intrigued by this though:

How do they legally define a CLOSE friend? You've licked beer off each others' faces at a party in the presence of witnesses? You've both seen each others' sisters naked? What? ??
Thats a good question. I never had the chance to discuss this with a layer and I myself think this is a rather unprecise statement.

I guess the idea is that a close friend is someone whom you meet frequently. Everyone could name the people whom they would call close friends. These are maybe a few. Definitely not someone whom you meet once and then never again.

I am sure a definition exists. But I simply don't know what it exactly means. But I also remember that I have read an article that discussed exactly this. Wasn't quiet clear to the author too.
I guess this kind of statement would mean that sharing music will be tolerated here unless it is clear that you make money with it or put your music on a server for everyone to download. I also remember that schoolboys exchanged cds for other favours and that was stopped by their school director.

Dr.Michael
May 22, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I looked up what close friends means:
In the law it actually does not say close friends it says "private use". That means everything that does not make money.

To limit the amount of possible copies, a sentence has been passed that says "not more than 7 copies".
This answers your question: You can give copies to friends as long as you don't charge anything and don't create more than 7 copies (including your own backups). This circumvents the necessity to define what close friends are.

In all cases it is forbidden to crack a copy protection. That means you may copy for private use but its not your legal right to be able to copy a cd or a dvd.

I also found comments that this is under heavy discussion. Some lawyers think, that there must be a right to create a copy for private use. If it were not allowed, a loss or a damage (due to heat in the car for example) would force you to buy again. Consumers must have a chance for a backup in this case to protect themselves against loss.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 09:34 AM

Arh... ..that clears that up. Thanks Dr.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:10 AM

I think the RIAA should start suing people who are listening to cd's as a group. If one person buys the cd, then that person is okay. It's the other people in the group who are listening to music without paying for it. That should be illegal.

Dr.Michael
May 22, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I think the RIAA should start suing people who are listening to cd's as a group. If one person buys the cd, then that person is okay. It's the other people in the group who are listening to music without paying for it. That should be illegal.

Actually in germany this copy-for-private-use thing has been introduced because it is impossible to control what people do at home. The usual way to treat this problem is then to allow a limited amount of copys in order to avoid criminalizing 80 million people .

I was a little bit astonished that nobody reported about their countries laws concerning mp3, filesharing, copying and cracking.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 22, 2006, 12:06 PM

It should be illegal to listen to music playing in public because we didn't pay for it. If we remember everything about a song in our head is that the same as illegally ripping it?

sae_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

I think that the sources of any public performance (radio, Muzak, nightclubs, etc.) pay subscription fees to ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC for those public performances, at least in America. They're supposed to, anyway.

Perhaps they will install auto-delete mechanisms in our heads to erase memories of music after we've listened to it.
Can you still feel?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 01:13 PM

It should be illegal to listen to music playing in public because we didn't pay for it. If we remember everything about a song in our head is that the same as illegally ripping it?
It's only illegal if you then hum the tune in public, sharing the illegal file stored in your mind.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 06:18 PM

here in new zealand the laws haven't been revised in decades and it's actually illegal to rip a cd you own and run it on your mp3 player. seeing as we don't have access to itunes, this means that it's pretty much impossible to use an ipod legally.

of course, the police have better things to do than arrest whatever percentage of the population are breaking this law, but still...

sminch

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 01:24 AM

Is it legal for me to rent a CD from my local DVD/Video/CD rental store and go across the street and sit in a cafe and rip it, then load it onto my iPod before returning the CD? I mean, its 100¥ well spent.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 01:30 AM

I sometimes rent DVDs and rip them. I think once I somehow get this CD out of my optical drive I'm going to see if I can do that... actually I'll probably just do it with my MacBook when I buy it.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 23, 2006, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Is it legal for me to rent a CD from my local DVD/Video/CD rental store and go across the street and sit in a cafe and rip it, then load it onto my iPod before returning the CD? I mean, its 100¥ well spent.
And what about the extra expense it takes to buy songs?

If I have to go to a record store I have to spend a fiver on travel and some money on food so my body will have energy to get there. Do I get some free tracks for that?

If I have to download online the cost adds up on my electricity bill. They won't give me even one free song a year for that.

Obi Wan's Ghost  (op)
Baninated
May 23, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sminch
here in new zealand the laws haven't been revised in decades and it's actually illegal to rip a cd you own and run it on your mp3 player. seeing as we don't have access to itunes, this means that it's pretty much impossible to use an ipod legally.
sminch
Whoever invented that law decades ago was a genius or psychic. He should have patented his ideas for cds and mp3 players

Dr.Michael
May 23, 2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by sminch

of course, the police have better things to do than arrest whatever percentage of the population are breaking this law, but still...

sminch
So the police could wait in front of every apple store and arrest all iPod buyers . This is the reason why copys in germany are not completely illegal.

We also pay a small amount to Gema (this is the equivalent to Riaa in the US) for empty CDs and tapes because we could use them for a copy. This is a trap for the music industry, because once you pay for the ability to fill an empty cd with copied music you earn a legal right to really do it. To copy protect cds in this case can be a bad move and probably it will be forbidden either to copy protect cds or the additonal fee for empty cds and tapes has to be removed.

Its a pity that we don't pay this for empty DVDs (because its only a few cents).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2006, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
We also pay a small amount to Gema (this is the equivalent to Riaa in the US) for empty CDs and tapes because we could use them for a copy.
Something about that doesn't sit right with me. It's like giving you a 20 year prison stint when you buy kitchen knives because you could murder someone with them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules