Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Barefeats - MacBook in Games and Core Image

Barefeats - MacBook in Games and Core Image
mindwaves
May 26, 2006, 05:51 PM

http://barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

Kind of dissapointed, but not really worried since all I play is AoE 2 and maybe AoE 3.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 07:11 PM

Yeah. It is not a gamer machine at all. I will get one - as there is no way in hell I have an extra 1000$ for a MBP - but the ability to play WoW would have been nice.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 07:49 PM

I thought people were playing WoW fine on their Minis. You can always run some of those games on lower settings anyway, they'd still be playable.

Just from messing around with a Macbook in store I could tell iPhoto was a lot faster than my G4 Mini, so not sure about their Core Image claims.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 26, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Just from messing around with a Macbook in store I could tell iPhoto was a lot faster than my G4 Mini, so not sure about their Core Image claims.
Most of iPhoto is CPU-based, so that's no surprise.

IIRC, their previous iMaginator tests isolated Core Image functionality to a large extent, and didn't stress the CPU so much. It'd be nice if they'd spell out exactly what they did this time around though.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
Yeah. It is not a gamer machine at all. I will get one - as there is no way in hell I have an extra 1000$ for a MBP - but the ability to play WoW would have been nice.
Anyone have experience with WoW on a MacBook? This is one of the only games I play now, and it plays fine on my 2nd gen. iMac G5 2GHz. I'd expect much worse on a MB, but would appreciate anyone's experience with framerates and settings to make it playable. Thx!

iBorg

Jawbreaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 02:03 PM

WoW is actually playable on the MacBook. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, and it gets rough in some spots, but it certainly outperforms its predecessor.

I'm seeing 20-30fps in most areas, averaging around 25. Bad spots in Ironforge are around 8fps. Not great at all, sure.

By comparison, the 1.33ghz 12" iBook averaged around 18fps in the same places, in IF it hovered at (ouch!) 4fps.

Don't go to Molten Core on it, is my advice. My iMac Core Duo gets around 45fps normally but drops to 20 in MC, so I wouldn't want to see what happens on the MacBook. But for casual play and soloing, it's fine.

Blizzard has also indicated that it anticipates substantially improved performance as Apple refines its Intel GMA950 drivers. The hardware performs better on WoW under Windows XP, evidently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules