Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g3 no video

g3 no video
blasto333
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 02:44 PM

i have a g3 i just bought off ebay. I plugged it in and, SURPRISE! no video. I pulled out a battery from the inside and left it to sit for 20 minutes. I put it back in and I had video! But, I restarted and now I don't.

PowerMac G3
300MHz G3 Processor
128MB PC100 Ram
8Gig HD

Please HeLP!

kick52
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 02:58 PM

the battery on the inside is called the pram. it stores information about hardware settings. if yours is dead, it loses the information about hardware (like the screen resolution etc.). you may have to buy a new one (from radioshack or ebay for about $20) you could try starting up holding P + R + (apple) + alt until you hear the startup times 3 times. if that doesnt work, try starting up holding O + F + (apple) + alt until you see a white screen with a load of writing on it. type reset-nvram and press enter, and then type reset-all. it should restart.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 05:20 PM

$20 ?????

for a friggin pram battery..........

in who's fairyland do you shop

dont pay more than $7 for one at RadioSmack or Bust&Buy

and BTW, resetting the pram won't do squat for ya if the battery is D E A D
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Kifwalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
$20 ?????

for a friggin pram battery..........

in who's fairyland do you shop

dont pay more than $7 for one at RadioSmack or Bust&Buy

and BTW, resetting the pram won't do squat for ya if the battery is D E A D
Actually the person in "fairyland" is YOU!
I've only seen $7 Mac PRAM batteries used on ebay and ususally they are junk marginal or just plain dead batteries.

The price at Radio Shack and several other Mac sites used to be close to $20 not long ago.
I think it's dropped to like $12-$15 lately, mostly because I believe quite a few digital cameras use them now.

And no, zapping PRAM won't fix a dead battery, but it will let you know if PRAM is the problem and not the battery, so it's still a good idea to do it. The best advice I can give is, don't put your Mac on an outlet strip that shuts everything down at once. This setup is a PRAM battery killer setup. If that is how your Mac is plugged in, un-do it, plug the Mac into the wall with the battery in the machine and let it sit for several hours turned off. I learned this lesson a long long time ago and you'd be surprised how little extra charge it takes to get one of these batteries to do its magic. You'll still have to replace the battery, but if you absolutely cannot find one right away (the Radio Shacks around here often don't have or carry them and I've never seen them at all at any Best Buy around here either), you still might just be able to boot the Mac and leave it on until you can get the replacement battery. Hope that advice helps out better than that unnecessary insult.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 05:19 AM

NO insult intended......... ("fairlyland" as in fairyTALE)
guess you overlooked the smiley(s)

Anyway, I was attempting to (humourously) illustrate my astonishment that anyone would consider paying anywhere near $20 for a pram battery..... since I have always gotten them for $7-10, as recently as 6 months ago ! And I certainly would NOT go to ebay for ANY item that is so readily available and affordable (at least where I live anyway)

and thats all I have to say 'bout dat
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

spittingangels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:04 PM

Your video card may be dead too. Do you have another one available from someone that you can pop in to test with?

Kifwalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
NO insult intended......... ("fairlyland" as in fairyTALE)
guess you overlooked the smiley(s)

Anyway, I was attempting to (humourously) illustrate my astonishment that anyone would consider paying anywhere near $20 for a pram battery..... since I have always gotten them for $7-10, as recently as 6 months ago ! And I certainly would NOT go to ebay for ANY item that is so readily available and affordable (at least where I live anyway)

and thats all I have to say 'bout dat
no offense taken, just an expression of my frustration in finding these batteries.
i paid $18 at a local electronics store, that battery did not last 1 year. The local Radio Shack didn't have them then.
then I paid $7 a piece for like 5 of them on ebay and none of them worked but 1 and it died soon after.
then, finally Radio Shack started carrying them again, but I could have sworn I saw the price as $12-14.
and i have seen them on ebay before for $20, which I agree is a total rip-off.

oh, if its a beige Powermac G3, it has a "personality card", not a video card, at least from Apple. So, if it does have an additional pci video card in it, I would remove it as any beige G3 will boot without a PCI video card from the personality card/onboard video. If it's a blue & white G3, then you might want to swap out the video card for something else.

Also, here's another idea... remove all but 1 memory chip until you go through them all. Some Beige G3s will not work with certain PC100 memory. And many older macs in general have trouble with certain types of PC only memory. Thankfully, that is not the case anymore.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 13, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Norwitcher
Actually the person in "fairyland" is YOU!
I've only seen $7 Mac PRAM batteries used on ebay and ususally they are junk marginal or just plain dead batteries.

The price at Radio Shack and several other Mac sites used to be close to $20 not long ago.
I think it's dropped to like $12-$15 lately, mostly because I believe quite a few digital cameras use them now.

And no, zapping PRAM won't fix a dead battery, but it will let you know if PRAM is the problem and not the battery, so it's still a good idea to do it. The best advice I can give is, don't put your Mac on an outlet strip that shuts everything down at once. This setup is a PRAM battery killer setup. If that is how your Mac is plugged in, un-do it, plug the Mac into the wall with the battery in the machine and let it sit for several hours turned off. I learned this lesson a long long time ago and you'd be surprised how little extra charge it takes to get one of these batteries to do its magic. You'll still have to replace the battery, but if you absolutely cannot find one right away (the Radio Shacks around here often don't have or carry them and I've never seen them at all at any Best Buy around here either), you still might just be able to boot the Mac and leave it on until you can get the replacement battery. Hope that advice helps out better than that unnecessary insult.
i meant that the pram could be corrupted, or the battery dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules