Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird Desktop Issue

Weird Desktop Issue
GoCats
Jun 13, 2006, 05:31 AM

Okay, so I'm having an issue with my Desktop that I'm completely perplexed about.

My desktop (the one you see as the main background on your screen) is no longer accessible. You can't click on it to move focus to it, and no items appear on it whatsoever.

However, if I open a Finder window I can click on the desktop folder there and see all of the files I had put there before it "disappeared".

I checked permissions and they are fine. I ran the fix permissions in Disk Utilities just in case, and it didn't find any issues.... well, at least not with my desktop.

This is happening on a new Core Duo Mac Mini. The weird thing is, I actually saw the exact same problem on my cousin's G5 a few months ago. I ended up having to completely reinstall OS X to get it back. But I really can't do that with my machine b/c it's acting as a server right now and I can't afford to have it go down (for one), and I don't want to invest the time to set up all the server software on it again.

Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone have a fix for it?? Everything else is running fine on the Mini, but I really want to fix this b/c, well, it's not functioning correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

GoCats  (op)
Jun 14, 2006, 12:50 PM

Nobody? Am I the only person that's ever seen this?

macuzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by GoCats
Okay, so I'm having an issue with my Desktop that I'm completely perplexed about.

My desktop (the one you see as the main background on your screen) is no longer accessible. You can't click on it to move focus to it, and no items appear on it whatsoever.

However, if I open a Finder window I can click on the desktop folder there and see all of the files I had put there before it "disappeared".

I checked permissions and they are fine. I ran the fix permissions in Disk Utilities just in case, and it didn't find any issues.... well, at least not with my desktop.

This is happening on a new Core Duo Mac Mini. The weird thing is, I actually saw the exact same problem on my cousin's G5 a few months ago. I ended up having to completely reinstall OS X to get it back. But I really can't do that with my machine b/c it's acting as a server right now and I can't afford to have it go down (for one), and I don't want to invest the time to set up all the server software on it again.

Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone have a fix for it?? Everything else is running fine on the Mini, but I really want to fix this b/c, well, it's not functioning correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help.
sounds like your desktop file is corrupted. you should be able to delete the com.apple.finder.plist file or something like it and logoff and back on. it should rebuild it. it's definitely a preference issue. i believe the file i've told you should correct it. if you look for it in your ~/library/preferences folder and delete it, you should resolve your problem.

GoCats  (op)
Jun 16, 2006, 03:59 AM

Thanks... I'll try that!

Forum Links
Forum Rules