Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What audio cable to connect MacBook with receiver?

What audio cable to connect MacBook with receiver?
pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 07:35 PM

I got a Yamaha RX-V440RDS receiver in the living room. It has two digital inputs DVD (optical) and CD (coaxial).

I'm wondering what kind of audio cable I need to use to connect the MacBook with the receiver. Before when I had my PC I used an rca cable to connect it from my PC's spdif to the CD input on the receiver. But this rca cable doesn't fit in the MacBook

Thraxes
Jun 17, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by pcw
I got a Yamaha RX-V440RDS receiver in the living room. It has two digital inputs DVD (optical) and CD (coaxial).

I'm wondering what kind of audio cable I need to use to connect the MacBook with the receiver. Before when I had my PC I used an rca cable to connect it from my PC's spdif to the CD input on the receiver. But this rca cable doesn't fit in the MacBook
You need an optical cable 3,5mm -> TOS-Link

I don't know any American or UK electronics store that is cheap and easy to order from so I will just post a link to what you need from a german store. Gives you an idea for price (2,45€ = 3,09$) and how it looks like:

www.reichelt.de
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

pcw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 07:55 PM

Ouch, 3m is that the longest one? My livingroom isn't 3 meters away from my bedroom

I'm from Sweden btw

Thraxes
Jun 17, 2006, 08:05 PM

Well you could get a short 1m optical cable and run it through an Optical -> Coax converter. With that you can continue to use your existing setup. A converter costs 15€ at that same store.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

pcw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 08:39 PM

Do you have any link so I can see what a converter like that would look like?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pcw
Ouch, 3m is that the longest one?
Hardly. Here's a U.S. site that sells them up to 50' (about 15m). They may ship to Sweden, or you may be able to find a domestic reseller. Either way, they do exist.

Note that fiber optic cable cannot be bent sharply, so it does not lend itself well to multi-room installation. (You have to use large loops to go around corners.)

tooki

pcw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Hardly. Here's a U.S. site that sells them up to 50' (about 15m). They may ship to Sweden, or you may be able to find a domestic reseller. Either way, they do exist.

Note that fiber optic cable cannot be bent sharply, so it does not lend itself well to multi-room installation. (You have to use large loops to go around corners.)

tooki
Ah okay, guess I'll have to go with the optical > coax converter then since I can't use large loops for the corners in my apartment.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 02:32 AM

Bear in mind, by "large" I mean perhaps 10cm. It just cannot be bent sharply as copper wire can.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules