Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Box with applecare?

Box with applecare?
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 05:22 PM

When I purchased my new 17" MBP, I bought applecare with it. My applecare for my ibook has saved me at least 5 times, so I knew to definately get it. Its been about 3 years since I bought my last mac (the ibook) with applecare. And back then, I got that red and white apple care box with all the registration information in the shipment box.

So this time around when I got applecare, I was expecting the same thing. Nothing came for applecare. My fedex tracking says that everything has been delivered. This is the product name on the invoice: APP FOR MBK PRO/PBOOK IND A/EINT. What do these acronyms mean? I also remember reading somewhere auto registration. So does my MBP have applecare ?? Was I suppose to get an applecare box? Thanks, just trying to make sure everything went well.

troyw2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 05:33 PM

They don't send boxes anymore. I got my APLCARE documents and TechTools CD in an envelope about a week after my MacBook Pro was delivered (today, actually).

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 06:09 PM

go to Apple.com/support ... on the right side you can type your serial number in to see your coverage.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2006, 08:55 PM

When you buy it with the machine they "autoenroll" you. That means that you get the coverage immediately, but you don't get teh separate AppleCare product box.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 12:45 AM

if (when) you need the box they'll overnight it to you.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 03:52 AM

The poster meant the small box with documents in it I think, not the mailing case...

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 05:40 AM

yeah they dont send boxs out anymore IF you buy them together. if you need the little box with the info you should buy them separate. but if you bought them together you should be auto-enrolled.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

MickeyZ
Jun 30, 2006, 10:10 AM

Perhaps on a slightly unrelated note: is the AppleCare worldwide product? What I'm asking is if I buy AppleCare in the US, which is cheaper than Europe, will my Mac be fully covered in Europe?

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 01:48 PM

Ah I understand now, thanks guys. I put in my serial number and found that I am already enrolled in the applecare. As for the question about applecare in Europe, I have no clue ..=P

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 02:11 PM

You're supposed to buy AppleCare in the country of your origin. So if you tried to buy it here, they would refer you to AppleCare in Europe to buy it.

MickeyZ
Jul 3, 2006, 08:46 AM

So AppleCare doesn't have some sort of reference number (AppleCare ID) and no matter where you buy it you could quote this reference number when you contact Apple with regard to service? I live in Ireland and I purchased my MBP in the US. Before the first year ends I'm going to buy AppleCare and was thinking about getting it in the US as well.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

lthurman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hi all,

I live in the UK and bought a powerbook g4 whilst in Chicago (Apple store). At the time I asked the Apple store rep about this and I remember him explicitly saying it was worldwide coverage. At the time I was a bit unsure if it was just his sales patter.

Anyway since then I have claimed on AppleCare (Memory chip blew) and when I called I said I bought it in the US and the lovely customer service rep said it did not matter. True to their word it did not matter the part was shipped as promised.

Hope this helps.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 09:05 PM

I just bought apple care for my MB - from Amazon for $206. Turns out it was actually sold by mac-pro.com.

Dumb question, but does anyone know how others can sell this product so cheaply???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2006, 04:41 PM

Is it possible to wholesale warranty ??

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
Is it possible to wholesale warranty ??
?????
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 06:12 PM

AppleCare coverage is worldwide (I think this now applies to ALL Macs; it used to be the portables + Mac Mini) but may not be applicable in all locations (e.g. Florida). Although I'm not sure about Apple's official policy on where to buy AppleCare, I've friends who were able to buy Macs from the US but purchased AppleCare from places like HongKong and Singapore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules