Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I open .lit files on a Mac?

Can I open .lit files on a Mac?
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 09:52 AM

I just downloaded an eBook in .lit file format.

Is it possible to open this in OS X?

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 09:54 AM

And what about .rtf files?

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 10:13 AM

You can open RTFs (assuming you are talking about Rich Text Format, i.e., text files) with TextEdit, Microsoft Word or Pages.
As for .lit files I found this link: http://www.convertlit.com/
( Last edited by Nai no Kami; Jul 4, 2006 at 10:22 AM. )

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
You can open RTFs (assuming you are talking about Rich Text Format, i.e., text files) with TextEdit, Microsoft Word or Pages.
As for .lit files I don't know what are those (and I haven't done a search). Care to explain?
Sure.

The Microsoft Reader is a Microsoft program for reading of ebooks.
Microsoft Reader is available to download from Microsoft and as a free program. Its homepage can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/reader/. It is more useful on a Pocket PC, where it has been built into the ROM since Windows CE 3.0. Although some of the latest Windows Mobile Devices have not been bundled with it, it is still available to download for the Pocket PC. It uses Cleartype Technology for easy reading on small PDA screens. It uses books in the .LIT file format. (The ".LIT" is for "literature".) These books can be purchased and downloaded from large online stores, including Amazon.com.
Among the features of Microsoft Reader are highlighting and doodling/scribbling designed for quick note-taking, text notes and a search function. Other features also include finding the last page you were on, your most recent page and a library of all the e-books you own. Dependent on the book, there can be a cover image and images throughout the book. The PC version has an optional plugin for text-to-speech, enabling your books to be read to you by Microsoft Sam and Michelle. Many free e-books are available, mostly about finance and moneymaking ideas. Books can be written in Microsoft Word, and converted by a free tool called ReaderWorks Standard 2.0.

Wikipedia.org

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 01:25 PM

Oh. You read my message before it was edited.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 9, 2006, 02:31 PM

Sweet. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules