Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unpacking large rar files makes the memory go haywire..

Unpacking large rar files makes the memory go haywire..
pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 05:49 AM

Well I'm using a MacBook 2.0/1 GB of ram/10.4.7.

Whenever I'm unpacking lets say a DVD movie (90x50mb rar files) with UnRarX (v. 2.2 UB) the pageouts in the activity monitor goes like crazy.. and afterwards it's done unpacking, the system is hogged up because of that.. like I wrote I got 1 GB of ram and I thought it would be sufficient but now I'm thinking of getting 2 GB of ram.. am I the only one noticing/experiencing this effect when unpacking large rar files? Should I get 2 GB of ram?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 06:40 AM

Hej hej!

Could be a memory leak. Did you check with the programmer if this is a known bug?

After doing an unrar, could you type 'sync' into the terminal and report if you see any changes in memory usage (free vs. inactive vs. active).

In the meantime, you could try using another app as a workaround. I use RAR Expander.

pcw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 07:45 AM

Alright, also I'm experiencing alot of pageouts with the app "Shakespeer". Are UnRarX and Shakespeer that badly "programmed" so that they use the memory that bad?

Are they a reason for me to get 2GB of ram? Or should I just wait until better versions comes out and stick with my 1GB of ram? I mean I can understand applications like Photoshop and Aperture would like to have 2GB of ram but Shakespeer and UnRarX?

ncube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pcw
Alright, also I'm experiencing alot of pageouts with the app "Shakespeer". Are UnRarX and Shakespeer that badly "programmed" so that they use the memory that bad?

Are they a reason for me to get 2GB of ram? Or should I just wait until better versions comes out and stick with my 1GB of ram? I mean I can understand applications like Photoshop and Aperture would like to have 2GB of ram but Shakespeer and UnRarX?
The file you were trying to extract is 4GB+? How much memory did UnRarX use to extract the file? Was RAR Expander able to expand the file and how much memory did it use?

Forum Links
Forum Rules