Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone have a Projector or recommend one

anyone have a Projector or recommend one
Gator Lager
Senior User
Jul 15, 2006, 04:32 PM

I've been to several Projector LCD/DLP/3LCD HDTV comp... yada yada... sites
one site will like a certain projector but the other will gun it down.

so does anyone have experience or a recommendation for a particular model/brand.
the normal life of the lamp. table versus ceiling mount. ambient light level. noise level.......
any input would be gratefully appreciated. (positive input that is )
something around the $2k range or a little over.

Rumor
Jul 15, 2006, 06:39 PM

Check Magnolia Audio Visual. They have some high quality projectors.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor
They have some high quality projectors.
at some high prices too!!!

I would imagine it would be worth it to at least check out what is out there...

at avsforum they have a lot of reviews... infocus or benq were near the top of the list last time I checked...

I was thinking about getting a infocus sp4805... but thats in the sub $1000 range and not true HD..

Zach

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 05:13 AM

I've had a benQ PB6200 for almost a year, and it's pretty good. It's only XGA (better than DVD but not true HD, though resolution is just a matter of a better LCD in there, not really about the projection technology), and it's performed adequately. I did just have to call tech support because the "auto off" feature seemed to be auto-on-ing itself. But after one trial their advice (reseat the lamp) seems to have fixed it, so kudos to benQ. My lamp is on 550 hours, and is supposed to last 4000 (they say they'll replace it under warranty, but I don't think it will fail before then at this rate).

I have it ceiling mounted, and I would say it's irrelevant to performance except that the unit is designed to shine upwards, as in a large auditorium, so for table mounting I would have to angle the unit downwards, which is verboten by the service manual (don't tilt it more than 15 degrees).

Other than that, I would say ambient light is of supreme importance, and other considerations are secondary to irrelevant. I just got some black-out fabric from a fabric store (about $90 for my 160 sq feet of windows) and pinned it up behind my drapes. For the screen I just used standard ceiling paint (it's the whitest) on the wall. I think screens are generally a rip-off. From time to time it occurs to me to listen for ambient noise and then I can hear the projector fan, so if you're the type that is bothered by that you should shop for a quiet projector (or just watch loud movies ).

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Check Magnolia Audio Visual. They have some high quality projectors.

yea, out of my price range. but thanks

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
at some high prices too!!!

I would imagine it would be worth it to at least check out what is out there...

at avsforum they have a lot of reviews... infocus or benq were near the top of the list last time I checked...

I was thinking about getting a infocus sp4805... but thats in the sub $1000 range and not true HD..

Zach
avsforum is one of the sites that I have visited and left more confused

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
I've had a benQ PB6200 for almost a year, and it's pretty good. It's only XGA (better than DVD but not true HD, though resolution is just a matter of a better LCD in there, not really about the projection technology), and it's performed adequately. I did just have to call tech support because the "auto off" feature seemed to be auto-on-ing itself. But after one trial their advice (reseat the lamp) seems to have fixed it, so kudos to benQ. My lamp is on 550 hours, and is supposed to last 4000 (they say they'll replace it under warranty, but I don't think it will fail before then at this rate).

I have it ceiling mounted, and I would say it's irrelevant to performance except that the unit is designed to shine upwards, as in a large auditorium, so for table mounting I would have to angle the unit downwards, which is verboten by the service manual (don't tilt it more than 15 degrees).

Other than that, I would say ambient light is of supreme importance, and other considerations are secondary to irrelevant. I just got some black-out fabric from a fabric store (about $90 for my 160 sq feet of windows) and pinned it up behind my drapes. For the screen I just used standard ceiling paint (it's the whitest) on the wall. I think screens are generally a rip-off. From time to time it occurs to me to listen for ambient noise and then I can hear the projector fan, so if you're the type that is bothered by that you should shop for a quiet projector (or just watch loud movies ).
hmm didn't think about some of this stuff. good to know.

thanks for the replies

dialo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 03:07 PM

I've had a few different projectors and I like the Sanyo Z3, Z4 projectors. They are reasonably priced, offer good features and are pretty silent. www.projectorcentral.com is a good resource with a ton of user reviews.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 08:03 AM

I just got done upgrading my Epson Powerlite 7250 to a Sanyo Z4.

Great projector. Highly recommended.

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 08:54 AM

I'll check out the Sanyo series.
thanks

Ham Sandwich
Jul 17, 2006, 10:50 AM

I picked up an 800x600 DLP Optoma for $500. Runs super quiet and does accept HD signals. Not quite true HD display but at 102" diagonal, doesn't seem to matter much to me.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 09:59 PM

Are projection televisions capable of being HD?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2006, 10:03 PM

The projector choice really depends on what you want to use it for. Not that I'm any expert, but size of the room, type of viewing, ambient light, etc, are all considerations.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Are projection televisions capable of being HD?
Of course. In fact, I'd guess that most projection TVs are HD these days. If you're talking ceiling mounted projectors, yes they can be HD as well (for $$$).

P.S. For HD I'm still using a 34" CRT (and a 26" LCD). Although some are nice, I don't like projectors or projection TVs in general for usual TV viewing. My next TV will likely be some sort of thin flat screen: LCD, plasma, SED, etc. OTOH, I did buy a $$$ projector for work, and it's fairly nice for movies too.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 10:10 PM

Make sure the resolution is 1024 x 768 minimum.

Auto shut off would be a nice feature with auto keystone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules