Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Memory Speed on G5 2.3 Core Duo ?

Memory Speed on G5 2.3 Core Duo ?
YuSa28
Jul 25, 2006, 02:09 PM

Hello, I recently bayed a Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 processor, and I put 6 GB of memory 533 MHz (DDR2 1 GB) . I have a question, if I change the memory for DDR2 1 GB for 667 MHz I will note a speed difference on the POWERMAC ? or will be just the same ?....

THANK YOU ALL !

( Last edited by YuSa28; Jul 25, 2006 at 04:10 PM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by YuSa28
Hello, I recently bayed a POWER MAC G5 2.3 CORE DUO, and I put 6 GB of memory 533 MHz (DDR2 1 GB) . I have a question, if I change the memory for DDR2 1 GB for 667 MHz I will note a speed difference on the POWERMAC ? or will be just the same ?....

THANK YOU ALL !

Just for reference, its a Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz.... its not a Core Duo, they are the Intel processors which are not yet in the Power Macs, and will not be in the Power Macs (since the PMs won't get Core Duo, but Core2Duo no doubt)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

YuSa28  (op)
Jul 25, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Just for reference, its a Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz.... its not a Core Duo, they are the Intel processors which are not yet in the Power Macs, and will not be in the Power Macs (since the PMs won't get Core Duo, but Core2Duo no doubt)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNSUITABLE ANSWER

But my mac is:

Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 processor.

newtech
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 02:49 AM

The dual core G5 powermacs require PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, faster RAM will only operate at the same speed/timings so it will not speed anything up.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 05:13 AM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNSUITABLE ANSWER
I was simply correcting you as you obviously had no idea what you were talking about when it came to processors. I thought one of the ideas of the forum was to gain knowledge of Apple stuff... and I just gave you some.

Sheesh!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 08:35 AM

I was simply correcting you as you obviously had no idea what you were talking about when it came to processors. I thought one of the ideas of the forum was to gain knowledge of Apple stuff... and I just gave you some.

Sheesh!
Well, if he had indicated DIMM instead of SO-DIMM, that would have solved the issue here... For obvious reasons you are so obsessed with Core Duo, your mindset gave the impression that only DDR2 667MHz works for the CD. However, a DDR2 667MHz DIMM still applies, in this case to the PowerMac Dual-Core G5s, hence it might still work.

Really, what the ...

Maybe it's time to remove your Core Duos from your siggy....

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Elphidieus
Well, if he had indicated DIMM instead of SO-DIMM, that would have solved the issue here... For obvious reasons you are so obsessed with Core Duo, your mindset gave the impression that only DDR2 667MHz works for the CD. However, a DDR2 667MHz DIMM still applies, in this case to the PowerMac Dual-Core G5s, hence it might still work.

Really, what the ...

Maybe it's time to remove your Core Duos from your siggy....
Excuse me?

What the hell are you on about mentioning DIMM and SODIMM - this is totally irrelevant!

How the hell am I obsessed with Core Duo? I simply stated that the OP posted the wrong specs, since a PowerMac G5 Core Duo does not exist (the OP has since been edited, but you can see the original in my reply, which is the 2nd post).

This topic has nothing to do with the Core Duos and the RAM it can take.

I just dont understand your point.... and wtf 'time to remove core duo from your sig' - THATS THE MACHINES I HAVE!!!!!!!!

YuSa28  (op)
Jul 26, 2006, 06:30 PM

Thank you all for your help....

But I only want to know is....

I have in my Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 processor.

6 GB of (1GB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200))

and I want to know if I put

6 GB of (1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200))

NOTE THAT are 667MHz instead of 533 MHz.

I will note a speed performance gains or not ?

THANKS !!!!!

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 07:45 PM

Excuse me?

What the hell are you on about mentioning DIMM and SODIMM - this is totally irrelevant!

How the hell am I obsessed with Core Duo? I simply stated that the OP posted the wrong specs, since a PowerMac G5 Core Duo does not exist (the OP has since been edited, but you can see the original in my reply, which is the 2nd post).

This topic has nothing to do with the Core Duos and the RAM it can take.

I just dont understand your point.... and wtf 'time to remove core duo from your sig' - THATS THE MACHINES I HAVE!!!!!!!!
Then maybe you should stop harrassing people with your so-called "smart-ass attitude" of yours. Otherwise you're only insulting your own intelligence. Now back to the topic, wil'ye...?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2006, 08:40 PM

Thank you all for your help....

But I only want to know is....

I have in my Dual-core 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 processor.

6 GB of (1GB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200))

and I want to know if I put

6 GB of (1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200))

NOTE THAT are 667MHz instead of 533 MHz.

I will note a speed performance gains or not ?

THANKS !!!!!
That was already answered:

Originally Posted by newtech
The dual core G5 powermacs require PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, faster RAM will only operate at the same speed/timings so it will not speed anything up.
Perhaps it was your typo (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM is PC2-5300, not PC2-4200) that has left you confused.

YuSa28  (op)
Jul 26, 2006, 09:44 PM

Ok... thank you.... I leave the actual memory then... THANKS A LOT all of you.... specially to NEWTECH. And sorry about my BAD ENGLISH...
( Last edited by YuSa28; Jul 28, 2006 at 06:33 PM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2006, 10:45 AM

This thread fits the definition of a trainwreck. The question has been answered; locking.
Grow up people.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules