Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ISP blocking port 80. Suggestions for different port

ISP blocking port 80. Suggestions for different port
iRussel
Jul 22, 2006, 09:01 PM

Hi all

I am trying to use my shiny new Intel iMac as a part-time web server. I couldn't get it to work and finally decided to call my ISP (Telus) to see if they were blocking port 80, well they are.

My question is what alternate port should I use. I don't know all the ports that are regularly used or do I know which other ports my ISP is probably blocking. Any input would be much appreciated.
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 10:12 PM

Common secondary ports are 81 or 8080, that I've seen and used.

iRussel  (op)
Jul 23, 2006, 10:02 AM

Ok I'll give those a try.

I know I'm going to need to configure Apache using terminal for the new port but I'm a total terminal newbie. If someone could give me keystroke by keystroke instructions on how to do it I would appreciate it very much. I know it isn't hard if you know what you're doing. Thanks in advance.
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2006, 11:00 AM

Why would an ISP block THE PRIMARY WEB PORT? It doesn't make sense to me, unless they want you to use THEIR browser... This is odd as all get out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iRussel  (op)
Jul 23, 2006, 12:12 PM

It doesn't block outgoing requests only incoming.
iPod 60GB With Video

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2006, 02:22 PM

Oh. Different issue, obviously. As noted previously, 81 and 8080 are commonly used alternates. There are also some dodges you can use through redirectors. However, if the ISP blocks your traffic for inbound port 80 requests, you should thoroughly read your user agreement to make sure they don't stipulate "no servers." If they do and they find you running such a server, they will probably be within their rights to terminate your service. I'm just sayin'...

iRussel  (op)
Jul 24, 2006, 07:51 AM

Oh absoulutely. I don't intend to open it to the general public. I only want to be able to access my music using iTunes Catalog at work when I am on midnight shift.
iPod 60GB With Video

iRussel  (op)
Jul 25, 2006, 04:14 AM

I have given up on this for now. I did manage to get Apache reconfigured to use a different port but no matter which port I choose I still can't see the default Apache web page. I did have my router configured to port forward and all but no go. Is it possible that my ISP blocks not only certain ports but any HTTP requests incoming ?
iPod 60GB With Video

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2006, 08:08 AM

Port forwarding is probably not enough. I'd use a DMZ instead; it exposes the computer to the Internet without ANY NAT manipulation. Give that a shot before you give up.

iRussel  (op)
Jul 25, 2006, 10:02 AM

I figured if I played around with routers, firewalls and ports long enough I would have to eventually learn what a DMZ actually is because right now I have no clue lol. But now that you have brought it up I'll take a closer look at it, thanks.
iPod 60GB With Video

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2006, 07:23 PM

A "DMZ" is simply a LAN IP that the router doesn't touch; all traffic to and from it bypasses Network Address Translation, so it's like the machine is connected directly to the Internet. Different routers have different methods of setting this up, but basically you need to assign a static IP to the computer you want to connect with, and then tell the router what that IP is.

iRussel  (op)
Jul 26, 2006, 05:02 AM

Thanks for all your help ghporter. I'm going to give it a shot setting up the DMZ. I'll report back with the results.
iPod 60GB With Video

iRussel  (op)
Jul 27, 2006, 03:49 AM

Well I did the DMZ thing and it's still a no go. I don't get stumped too often but I guess I'll have to accept that I won't be able to use my computer as a Web Server in any capacity. I would like to know sometime if it's me, which I don't think it is, or if it's my ISP. I'm thinking that they somehow can block HTTP requests incoming to my computer.
iPod 60GB With Video

RJGill842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 04:52 AM

Blocking incoming HTTP requests over 80 is a common thing...and ISPs obviously know that 81 and 8080 are commonly used as alternates, so Telus may be blocking those as well. Try a different port. I've never set Apache up on Mac, however you obviously need to tell Apache to "listen" on the new port for HTTP requests. Have you done that? I'm leaning more to saying its you, rather than the ISP. - RJGill

Forum Links
Forum Rules