Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WAL★MART fails in Germany – All stores sold to competitor

WAL★MART fails in Germany – All stores sold to competitor (Page 2)
TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 03:10 PM

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...429137,00.html

The American discount chain Wal-Mart is a worldwide phenomenon -- but in Germany it has been an embarassing flop. All 85 of its stores will be sold to Metro Group, its German competitor. The Americans overreached themselves, say industry experts. […] above all it was Wal-Mart's hectic shopping spree in Germany that doomed it to failure. All other attempts to acquire new stores were unsuccessful, which can be fatal in the discount-store industry. "Eighty-five stores, that's way too small," said one source. "And yet Wal-Mart in Germany has one head office and three distribution centers -- which is the infrastructure of an overgrown retail company."

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 03:23 PM

Also a note about Wal mart security measures...

Those alarms at the doors go off randomly. Those things they "scan" at the register randomly keeps some active.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Also a note about Wal mart security measures...

Those alarms at the doors go off randomly. Those things they "scan" at the register randomly keeps some active.
Actually, the last time I set one of those off in Wal-Mart, the "greeter" checked my receipt and found the cashier ID number to mark on a list. He told me that after a checker gets so many flags, they are fired or moved off register service. So, on top of being annoyed by the damn siren, impatient from being searched by a "greeter", I felt guilty for the pregnant minimum-wage lady who checkd me out.

That place is evil; instead of paying a decent wage for quality workers, they do this sh**....

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I get what you're talking about. I think. Putting security seals over bags you've brought in from other stores you've previously visited on your shopping trip, I take it.

WTF = they'd get told exactly what to do if they did that here.
They do this also in some supermarkets here in Spain as well. I think it is stupid, but some stores are very paranoid.

I usually avoid these stores that practice this. It is very inconvenient to have all my other bags sealed.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 28, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ink
That place is evil; instead of paying a decent wage for quality workers, they do this sh**....
But they pass the savings on to you!

"Hello, what have we here?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
You people are jerks it seems. Those greeters are just doing their job. Walmart has a HUGE problem with theft... can't blame them for wanting to thwart it in any way possible. What would you like them to do... assign one sales-person to follow each person around to make sure they don't stick anything extra in their bags? It's not like you are in a tiny shop where everyone can see everything you do. And I know a lot of other big places don't do this, but I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Costco is way worse... they are at the top of my list for store harrasment in my eyes.

Oh no, they put a sticker on my bag!!! I will never go there again! /sarcasm
I shop regularly in different Costco stores, and they are like shopping at Saks Fifth Ave., compared to Wally world. Strangely, Costco pays its employes almost twice as much as Wally World, gives all their full time employees benefits, yet is still profitable, while managing to grow to become America's fifth largest retailer. 25% of Wally World's customers don't even have a checking account, and Wal-Mart has now announced that they are not going to prosecute anyone on theft charges below $25, as it is not worth their effort.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 04:04 PM

Funny thing is, even with the higher prices we started spending LESS money when we stopped going to WalMart because at WalMart we were grabbing extra crap we didn't need as we walked around the store.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
I shop regularly in different Costco stores, and they are like shopping at Saks Fifth Ave., compared to Wally world. Strangely, Costco pays its employes almost twice as much as Wally World, gives all their full time employees benefits, yet is still profitable, while managing to grow to become America's fifth largest retailer. 25% of Wally World's customers don't even have a checking account, and Wal-Mart has now announced that they are not going to prosecute anyone on theft charges below $25, as it is not worth their effort.

Costco employee's are some of the happiest in the field. They have a really low turnover, they only hire through word of mouth and the CEO has a crap cubical just like all other office employees.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 04:27 PM

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 04:38 PM

The Wal*Mart around my corner in Berlin is pretty decent. I'm sure metro will kepp it running (under a new name, of course).

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Good, walmart sucks. It is full of mostly white trash... they are also rotten to their employees.
Good job being an elistist. And plenty of Wal-Mart employees enjoy their jobs. For those who don't, there are plenty of other jobs available in our smokin' economy.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 04:48 PM

That's exactly the right thing to do. If they want to see your bag ask them if they accuse you of shoplifting? If they say 'no' then they don't have the right to see what's in your bag or your receipt. If they say 'yes' and you're innocent you can raise hell.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Good job being an elistist. And plenty of Wal-Mart employees enjoy their jobs. For those who don't, there are plenty of other jobs available in our smokin' economy.
So people just enjoy working for minimum wage?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
That's exactly the right thing to do. If they want to see your bag ask them if they accuse you of shoplifting? If they say 'no' then they don't have the right to see what's in your bag or your receipt. If they say 'yes' and you're innocent you can raise hell.
Are you sure about that?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 04:55 PM

So people just enjoy working for minimum wage?
In my area at least, WalMart starts at 2-3 dollars over minimum wage. Still not much but there no sense in exaggerating.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
In my area at least, WalMart starts at 2-3 dollars over minimum wage. Still not much but there no sense in exaggerating.
And they offer advancement within the company. A kid I went to high school with was already in some sort of management position within the store by his senior year. He was doing much better at Wal-Mart than he would have been at any other place hiring high schoolers.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 05:01 PM

If they want to see your bag ask them if they accuse you of shoplifting? If they say 'no' then they don't have the right to see what's in your bag or your receipt. If they say 'yes' and you're innocent you can raise hell.
4 out of 5 people who do that will have extra items in their bag. The other 1 in 5 are just kooks.

Gotta love some people's definition(s) of "rights". Gitmo prisoners should have "rights" like American citizens, yet a Wal-Mart employee does not have the "right" to ask to see a reciept for the goods you are carrying out the door.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 28, 2006, 05:13 PM

so i guess i'm a kook then. i received the receipt within 15 feet of the exit, in plain view of the person asking to see the contents of my bag. objecting to this procedure is, hopefully, helping to show how idiotic the practice is.

and rights come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. don't bring gitmo into this.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
And they offer advancement within the company. A kid I went to high school with was already in some sort of management position within the store by his senior year. He was doing much better at Wal-Mart than he would have been at any other place hiring high schoolers.
Ya, like the "managers" at the dairy queen who make $20,000 a year.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 28, 2006, 05:27 PM

It is full of mostly white trash
I find only those who use the term "white trash" often are themselves.
When I walk in ....
Guess I was right

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 05:31 PM

Ya, like the "managers" at the dairy queen who make $20,000 a year.
Cause those 20K/year jobs are EVERYWHERE for high schoolers!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I'd just like to say that I think its pretty cool that you used the star in the name. Good show mate!
Genius. You know who.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 06:07 PM

Makes you wonder how other stores survive without having to resort to stickers.
Wal<Star>Mart's stickers are more than just stickers. Everyone knows they secretly transmit signals. With them WalMart knows where all of its customers live! With this information they plan to send an army of greeters to knock on your door every morning and convert you to jehovahs witness... err... inform you about the latest offers.
Genius. You know who.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 06:23 PM

I refuse to shop at Walmart. They're the Microsoft of retail. And there are other ways to keep shop lifting down. Best Buy has great anti-theft practices. I mean don't get me wrong I'm not a huge BB fan but after working there they do have a lot of good policies to deter theft.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Jul 29, 2006, 07:26 PM

Ever wonder what happens to most things you return to Wal-Fart...

GARBAGE!

Return policy is great. The workers don't give a sh!t.

Next time you're in take a look at the lamps on display. All the cords are cut off. This is so they won't accidently get sold.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
4 out of 5 people who do that will have extra items in their bag. The other 1 in 5 are just kooks.

Gotta love some people's definition(s) of "rights". Gitmo prisoners should have "rights" like American citizens, yet a Wal-Mart employee does not have the "right" to ask to see a reciept for the goods you are carrying out the door.

No, they don't. Your bag is your private property, nobody has the right to access it unless they suspect you of theft.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 05:19 AM

Americans are willing to put up with it to save money. I guess the germans are not.

I always buy from a store that has very good customer service and return policies, even if it costs more.
The funny thing is that Wal-Mart is actually more *expensive* than many other supermarkets here (not just Aldi).

Another point that helped kill Wal-Mart in the public eye here was the issue about banning relationships between employees.

Apparently it's global company policy.

Here, they got taken to court last year - and lost with a bang. It was all downhill from there.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 05:16 PM

This is a free market. Work there if you want. Don't if you don't. Shop there if you want. Don't if you don't.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kitschy
This is a free market. Work there if you want. Don't if you don't.
The freedom of the market is not the only freedom. Nor is it the most important.

When a company wants to dicate whom their employees see in their free time, then that goes way too far. WAL★MART was not allow to do that in Germany. If they don't like it they can go do their business elsewhere.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
When a company wants to dicate whom their employees see in their free time, then that goes way too far.
Then quit.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 06:40 PM

Then quit.

I agree with you for the most part but remember that when Wal-mart comes to small downs it kills a lot of smaller shops and that leaves it as the only place to work. That is why they can treat everyone like **** and still get lots of applications.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I agree with you for the most part but remember that when Wal-mart comes to small downs it kills a lot of smaller shops and that leaves it as the only place to work.
So, you're saying that there are some towns in the United States that the "only place to work" is at Wal-Mart?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 06:54 PM

So, you're saying that there are some towns in the United States that the "only place to work" is at Wal-Mart?
If they swoop in and offer 300 jobs overnight with little to no requirements.... yes.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 11:40 PM

If they swoop in and offer 300 jobs overnight with little to no requirements.... yes.
No.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 11:53 PM

That makes no sense. Wal Mart doesn't force these people to work there. If they don't like it, get another job. And I don't know one town in America that has a Wal Mart and that is the only place to work. That's asinine.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 11:55 PM

So I guess you are saying everyone who works there doesn't know they can get a job somewhere else?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 12:00 AM

So I guess you are saying everyone who works there doesn't know they can get a job somewhere else?
Who says they want a job somewhere else? I know women who have worked for years at a job and currently make $6.40 an hour. I think it's silly but ultimately it's their decision.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 12:02 AM

No.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 12:18 AM

I have never even seen a Wal*Mart. Yeah I've been to Germany.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 01:26 AM

Bah, Wal*Mart is teh sux0rz. I avoid the place whenever possible... and it's tough, seeing as there are now THREE in my town. Ugh... well, there's always Target for me: nicer atmosphere, better selection, and doesn't smell like ass. Oh, and it isn't much more expensive either. Worth it, in my opinion.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Bah, Wal*Mart is teh sux0rz. I avoid the place whenever possible... and it's tough, seeing as there are now THREE in my town. Ugh... well, there's always Target for me: nicer atmosphere, better selection, and doesn't smell like ass. Oh, and it isn't much more expensive either. Worth it, in my opinion.
The Target I go to always has some hotties working there, unlike the mutants at WalMart.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 01:54 AM

I like Target. But it always smells like dirty socks right at the entry. It's like a popcorn butter funk mixed with some other odor to create a tang in the air.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 01:54 AM

Dunno about the minimum wage part. My wife works at the new WM in our area, 3rd shift. Has been there just about a year now.

Makes well over 9 bucks an hour as cashier/stocker.

She's not a mutant either.

Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
Costco is a club. it requires a membership. when you join you agree to abide by their terms of service. this includes showing your card at the door and having them check your receipt upon exiting. sure, it's annoying, but you did join.

wal•mart and best buy aren't clubs. they can't require the same sort of obedience. now, i don't shop at wal•mart, but the few times i've been to best buy, i've just walked right past the "guard" at the exit who asks to see my receipt. if they want to check my bag they can accuse me of shoplifting.
I'm just a little amazed that someone could HATE a Wal•Mart, but LOVE Costco... when they both treat you a little like a criminal.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by mac1896
Makes well over 9 bucks an hour as cashier/stocker.
SHHHHH! You'll spoil the fun for SWG!

She's not a mutant either.

I'm afraid that we just cannot take you at your word…we need pics!

I tell you though, their are some H-I-D-E-O-U-S women at the WalMart near me.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 02:21 AM

Employees Walmarts in rural areas are... not great looking...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 02:33 AM

Then quit.
Well, or take them to court for violating basic employees' rights, as it were.

It certainly didn't help their cause here, having this particular bit of company-policy absurdity made evening-news material...

mac1896
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Employees Walmarts in rural areas are... not great looking...
I tend to agree about hideous women working at WM though.

Saw a woman working there once that wouldn't have made even a good toothpaste commercial (the kind that they just show the before and after pics of teeth using brand x toothpaste).

Man, her teeth were all over the place...............<shudder>

..........and so was the rest of her body.........

Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I get what you're talking about. I think. Putting security seals over bags you've brought in from other stores you've previously visited on your shopping trip, I take it.
Hmm, on the one hand, I have never seen a Wal-Mart do that.

On the other, I have never even seen a Wal-Mart in walking distance from other stores.

So yes, I'd be a little surprised to see anyone walk-in with a shopping bag another store.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
The Wal*Mart around my corner in Berlin is pretty decent. I'm sure metro will kepp it running (under a new name, of course).
Neukoelln-Suedring S-Bahn station ?

I used to go there, even before it became Wal-Mart.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules