Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apply the MacOS 9.1 update to your MacOS 8.6

Apply the MacOS 9.1 update to your MacOS 8.6
noliv
Senior User
Jan 16, 2001, 08:28 AM

I read that you can apply the 9.1 update to MacOS 8.6 if you edit (with resedit) the resource 'vers' of the finder and system and change it to 9.0.0

------------------
noliv... email | website | profile
-noliv

Pratch
Jan 16, 2001, 09:39 AM

But, since that's piracy, you won't do that, will you...

noliv  (op)
Senior User
Jan 16, 2001, 10:56 AM

I won't because I have bought 9.0.4 already... and I will wait for a french version of 9.1 to update (legaly, from 9.0.4 to 9.1)

Is it realy piracy ?
I don't think so:
You've got 8.6...
You download a free updater...
You make what you want with them for your personnal use...

However, after the update, your system is probably a mix between 8.6 and 9.1... I don't know if it works well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by noliv (edited 01-16-2001).]
-noliv

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 11:33 AM

Well, when you tinker between with the OS's instead of upgrading the proper way by buying OS9 and you might as well as get the OS 9.1 CD complete, but don't come crying here when your system crashes or your HD gets wiped out. I love it when people think they know what they are doing with resedit and screw their systems up and blame apple or software vendors.

The more you screw with your OS as a virgin system engineer, then you the more you become a grouchy Mac user, ha!

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2001, 09:35 PM

Yes, there is a very good chance you will be missing alot of critical components since unless you are suing the full install CD the components are not in the installer...and alot of things changed between 8.6 and 9. I would not want to touch your computer with a ten foot pole after you applied this update...I'll make sure I remember your name and just point this as the source of all your millions of problems you will be posting here after you try this.

noliv  (op)
Senior User
Jan 17, 2001, 03:49 AM

hey, I won't do it (I'm totally aware that this is a bad way to update)...
and I never complain about Apple when I cause problems to my Mac. I use Macs since 1988 and I know what's good or bad for my Mac (When I don't know, I try, then I know...)
(I destroyed my system6 with resedit some years ago... )

For your information, my mac crashes less than once a week, I never shut it down... I use it all night long, but I still think that this update 8.6 -> 9.1 is interresting, even if I don't suggest people to do it.

------------------
-noliv

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2001, 09:23 AM

Yeah, gene splicing is fascinating too. I only use it experimentally on myself. And post my results on the GeneNN.com BB. But I never recommend that anyone else do it.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2001, 11:33 AM

What is a cross in between a Sawtooth board in a beige G3 and OS 8.1 with a Sytem 9 folder?

Answer: A friggin FrankenMac, haha!

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2001, 11:45 AM

not sure if it will work, but have fun with ResEdit and see what happens. That's what computing is all about, at least from a geek's point of view.

If you are not interested in "hacking" around then don't, but lets not criticize someone who does. Some folks really dig Linux and other OSs because they can mess around with code, and if someone can and wants to do it on a MAC more power to him/her.

Besides, isn't asking questions and experimenting with a global community what these forums are for?

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2001, 12:26 PM

Actually the term computing is not definiative from any point of view as the term itself carries many definitions and rolls. I actually was a bit callous, but that is my nature. Now, if a person had OS 9.0, why bother hacking around with OS 8.6, unless it is a fetish or personal goal?

This was a simple thread about hacking with Resedit and not entirely about programing and source coading in the depth that Linux and other OS's. That is why there are developer forums and mesesaging threads as well as other sources.

I am not criticizing anyone in particular, save for the guys who ask how to get things like OS 9.1 GM, back then and about Hotline. There are hacker forums and sites for that. We must embrace technology and the community as altruists and not for personal goals as the ramifications can run deep.

I was just commenting on the blatent statement of "you make what you want for your personal use" Ed...

P
Jan 19, 2001, 03:05 PM

That would be...interesting. The files being updated, not replaced, would be broken. Those files include Finder, most control panels and Mac OS ROM, but not the System itself, nor the included apps.

And yes, it's probably piracy. You click yourself past some licence agreement when you install 9.1, and it probably disallows this type of thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

brundleOS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 10:13 PM

I am here to report on the operation of BrundleOS. My Beige 466 is running it quite fast. To top it off, I even have the Aqua interface from Kaleidoscope. Now, I did backup my system folder onto a CD, and copied it over to my seperate partition to play with. Everything works beautifully! iTunes even works, it is running in the background right now. I did have some problems with Norton Utilities, because they were the older versions. Once I cleaned up the system folder, I had no more squirly reactions. System memory is up to 41mb. Internet pages load much faster in 9.1 than 8.6. I paid full price for an 8.6 CD, and apple did provide a free upgrade to 9.1. ResEdit was free as well, so you decide if it is legal or not. I plan on selling this box in a few months anyway. My main concern was capturing video on FCP 1.2.5, but it works fast and flawless with my Targa capture card and Quicktime 5, pr2. Just an update. This machine has not been shutdown in three days, and it hasn't crashed.

noliv  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by P:
And yes, it's probably piracy. You click yourself past some licence agreement when you install 9.1, and it probably disallows this type of thing.
oh yes... the agreement... indeed it's probably piracy.

If it works, it means that the essential files are all replaced (not updated)
-noliv

macinteo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 07:26 AM

Piracy? ...mmmh, i don't think so.

If you read the second chapter of the TN2010 @
<a HREF="http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2010.html">http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2010.html</a>

you'll note that Apple states that:
"Mac OS 9.1 may be installed as an upgrade to Mac OS 7.5.5 and later versions of the Mac OS."
and that the only other requirement is for the Installer that:
"The installer program requires Mac OS 8.5 or later to run"

So, perhaps the way people change the vers resource is the RIGHT WAY!!

noliv  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by macinteo:

"The installer program requires Mac OS 8.5 or later to run"

So, perhaps the way people change the vers resource is the RIGHT WAY!!
No, it's not the right way...
However you re-convinced me... it's not piracy

I'm still running 9.0.4 because I don't want to download the 70 Mo update with my 56k modem ($0.6 per hour)
-noliv

Forum Links
Forum Rules