Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! Need to solve HD problem

Help! Need to solve HD problem
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2001, 03:32 AM

My machine claims it cannot find a system folder on my Hard Drive. I managed to boot up on one of the System Install CDs shipped with the Powerbook G4. The system cannot mount the HD so I tried to use Disk First Aid to fix the problem. During the diagnosis it said "MountCheck found serious problems" for my HD as well as many allocation errors. It then tried to fix the problems but failed... "Unable to correct errors" or something like that.

What should I do? It sounds like parts of the HD got corrupted. Should I get Norton Utilities to see if it can solve the problems? Or is there a cheaper / easier way of fixing this? I wouldn't mind re-formatting the HD but I have some data I need to back up first.

Z

Hans J. Gunnarsson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2001, 04:30 AM

In short her is how I solve my diskproblems.

I start up on a CD disk that has Diskwarrior installed. You can probably use the original that comes with your purchase of the application for your machine.
I then use Diskwarrior to rebuild the disks directory.
I then install a clean system on the machine.
Diskwarrior also provides me with the option to save the contents of my disk to another disk or media before replacing the original directory.
Until now this application has not let me down so it might solve your problem as well.

Originally posted by Xtraz:
<STRONG>My machine claims it cannot find a system folder on my Hard Drive. I managed to boot up on one of the System Install CDs shipped with the Powerbook G4. The system cannot mount the HD so I tried to use Disk First Aid to fix the problem. During the diagnosis it said "MountCheck found serious problems" for my HD as well as many allocation errors. It then tried to fix the problems but failed... "Unable to correct errors" or something like that.

What should I do? It sounds like parts of the HD got corrupted. Should I get Norton Utilities to see if it can solve the problems? Or is there a cheaper / easier way of fixing this? I wouldn't mind re-formatting the HD but I have some data I need to back up first.

Z</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules