Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Experience Getting Discoloration Fixed

My Experience Getting Discoloration Fixed
muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 03:44 PM

hey all. just wanted to tell my experience with my white 1.83ghz macbook and it's discoloration. i have a week 19 mackbook, bought a couple of days after it came out from the apple store here in durham, north carolina. well, ever since then, it's been slowly but surely discoloring, where my palms rest against the wristpad, and especially near the corners.

at first, it didnt' bother me too much, i thought i would get "used" to it and not worry about it. but then it just kept getting worse and worse. i tried everything: windex, bleach (!), magic eraser, warm water, and nothing even put a dent into the orange stains.

so today, i bit the bullet and decided to take it into the apple store. booked an appointment early this morning. so i get there, wait in a very short line, and explain to the girl at the genius bar how i had this discoloration and how it was getting worse and worse. first thing she asked is if i used a magic eraser. i said yeah, didn't help. so she takes it in the back and, i'll bet, tries a magic eraser on it. comes back out 5 minutes later, no change to the stain.

she agrees that the top plastic needs to be replaced. luckily, they had some on hand at the store, so i turned my macbook in and drove off, thinking i'd be without my computer for 3-5 days. not 2 hours later, i get a call and it's done!

i get the macbook back, the new plastic doesn't seem as "soft" as the old one. i think this is good, it's probably less porous or whatever. it also has a nice piece of plastic over the wrist rests that i'm supposed to take off, but i'm thinking i'll just leave it there as protection, kind of like an invisible shield or something.

the work order said i recieved a "Housing, Top Case with Keyboard, Version 2". normal charge including install would've been $186.56, but of course this was covered under warrenty . so i also got a new keyboard to boot, which is great because my old one's down-arrow key was really buggy.

overall, a great first experience with apple service. everyone was professional and understanding. A++ for apple!

Nuks
Aug 18, 2006, 04:26 PM

Great to hear!

Forum Links
Forum Rules