Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Miami Vice (movie)

Miami Vice (movie)
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 07:56 PM

I got free tickets to this movie (the only reason I went) and was expecting to hate it. But I enjoyed it, against my will.

It got a really strong review from the NY Times. And I think what they said about War of the World applies here too: "Not much to think about, but a lot to look at":

With “Miami Vice” he clearly had money to burn, and the flames are beautiful to behold. Mixing pop savvy with startling formal ambition, Mr. Mann transforms what is essentially a long, fairly predictable cop-show episode into a dazzling (and sometimes daft) Wagnerian spectacle. He fuses music, pulsating color and high drama into something that is occasionally nonsensical and frequently sublime. “Miami Vice” is an action picture for people who dig experimental art films, and vice versa.
—NY Times > Miami Vice - Michael Mann - Review - Movies - New York Times
However, viewer opinions seem divided.

EDIT: Hm. Seems there was already a thread. Ah well. Time to sit back and watch my thread tank.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2006, 08:05 PM

I think a lot of people had preconceived notions about what the Miami Vice movie should be like. Some wanted a carbon copy of the series, others wanted it to be kind of corny, while others wanted it to delve into the darker aspects of the series. Anyway, I haven't seen the movie but I hear its pretty dark and serious. Which I dig. I'll be checking out the DVD for sure.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I think a lot of people had preconceived notions about what the Miami Vice movie should be like. Some wanted a carbon copy of the series, others wanted it to be kind of corny, while others wanted it to delve into the darker aspects of the series. Anyway, I haven't seen the movie but I hear its pretty dark and serious. Which I dig. I'll be checking out the DVD for sure.
This is going to be a movie fast forgotten. Unlike the TV show it is named after. That says all that needs to be said about this movie.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I had preconceived notions about White Supremacists. Like, I didn't know people who lived in trailers (as shown) imported 60-million-dollar shipments of heroin from Cuba (as shown).

Another thing I didn't get was Tubbs and Crockett went undercover to try to expose an FBI agent who'd been secretly collaborating with the Cuban druglords, but this fact was never spoken of again. They drove around in gofast boats, exported two shipments of heroin, giving them all the evidence the FBI needed to arrest the people involved in the drug syndicate, but instead, set them up for a massacre.

The film was as visually breathtaking as the script was illogical. Unless there's going to be a sequel to answer these questions?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Unless there's going to be a sequel to answer these questions?
I hope not..

V

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
This is going to be a movie fast forgotten. Unlike the TV show it is named after. That says all that needs to be said about this movie.

V
I was *glad* to forget ALL about the TV series. It encapsulated a large part of what there was to hate about the 80s.

Apparently, the series was initially supposed to be just a movie, but the studios decided to remove all that was actually interesting and turn it into a shallow action series instead. Mann strongly distanced himself from the series and now finally had the chance to make the movie it was originally supposed to be.

I'll be watching it.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 07:10 AM

I hope not..

V
get in the shower and cry.
ice

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 05:08 PM

I liked it ... but I'm not sure I'd consider the characters Crocket and Tubbs in spite of their names. They are far far too different from the characters originally played by Don Johnson & Phillip Thomas ...

Good movie but only ok casting.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

robfarri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 12:56 PM

I thought it sucked big time. And thats coming from somebody who is usually a Michael Mann fan. Just thought it was waaaayyyy too boring. The whole thing seemed to turn into some sort of dull melodramatic love story. Even the finale wasn't that much of a payoff. Thumbs down

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 05:32 PM

It was like the series, fun and glossy nothing in it. Why are people so surprised about it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
It was like the series, fun and glossy nothing in it. Why are people so surprised about it.
No, it was in fact: nothing like the series. That would have been a good thing.

V

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
get in the shower and cry.
It was the crappiest movie since Bad Boys 2, but nothing to shed tears about

-- perhaps it was crappier than Bad Boys 2. That one wasn't so sad as to take itself seriously or anything. Yep, Miami Vice was the crappiest movie since... The Patriot with Mel Gibson. That one did all the same major errors as Miami Vice the movie.

Way too stupid, taking itself way too seriously, considering its audience retards and lacking a properly written screenplay.

Miami Vice the movie.. rated: ☠☠☠☠☠ for being a waste of time and insulting to its audience.

V

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2006, 07:29 PM

I must say the the mustache on Colon Farrell was a bit ... over the top. He kind of looked like Ben Stiller in his undercover outfit in Starsky & Hutch.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

robfarri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 03:34 PM

It was the crappiest movie since Bad Boys 2, but nothing to shed tears about

-- perhaps it was crappier than Bad Boys 2. That one wasn't so sad as to take itself seriously or anything. Yep, Miami Vice was the crappiest movie since... The Patriot with Mel Gibson. That one did all the same major errors as Miami Vice the movie.

Way too stupid, taking itself way too seriously, considering its audience retards and lacking a properly written screenplay.

Miami Vice the movie.. rated: ☠☠☠☠☠ for being a waste of time and insulting to its audience.

V
Totally agree mate, def took itself way too seriously & OTT. And what was all the mumbled dialogue about? I could hardly understand a word of what they were saying 4 half of it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules