Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a simple database app?

Is there a simple database app?
Curiosity
Senior User
Aug 29, 2006, 02:26 AM

I am looking for a simple little database program for Mac Intel. Search engines have produced only the large, business-class type databases. Is there no such thing as a small database for Mac? A cardex-type program would be fine.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 08:13 AM

Isn't this what FileMaker is for?

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 10:06 AM

Excel kind-of functions as a database. Maybe try NeoOffice if you don't have Excel itself.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by philm
Excel kind-of functions as a database. Maybe try NeoOffice if you don't have Excel itself.
I agree, Excel will do most of what you need to do for simple database function, and it is good for doing mail merges and such the like.

ralph4208w
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 11:23 AM

Years ago I'd suggest Hypercard. Does any version of HyperCard work on the new machines? I dunno. But HyperCard was a great little db program. You could easily script business logic into the system.
favourite sites: RankAMovie.com, imdb , cnet

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 PM

I am not interested in business applications. I asked for a simple little program which would be personal use only. I also have no interest in linking the database to the internet.

OreoCookie
Aug 29, 2006, 05:41 PM

Excel is not a database. FileMaker is as easy as it gets, on the same level as Access.

What exactly do you want to do with it?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 06:27 PM

If you want a really basic database app, then the module in AppleWorks could suffice (though I can't believe I'm recommending AW to anyone!).

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 06:46 PM

I found one. It is called Register. It is just a modest database app.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
If you want a really basic database app, then the module in AppleWorks could suffice (though I can't believe I'm recommending AW to anyone!).
I had the same recommendation to post, but that was when the "hampster" was out to lunch. AppleWorks DB is simple, works well and should be close to free for most people. On the other hand, it's defunct and so old that there's no guarantee it will continue to function; I'm not sure how Rosetta handles it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jrafter
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 07:12 PM

Can you supply a link to Register? Thanks!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by jrafter
Can you supply a link to Register? Thanks!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11261

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:05 PM

Warning - the MacUpdate page for that app is out of date and downloads version 1.2 which is not the latest one (1.2.2, which added compatibility with OS X 10.4.x). Go to the developer's website to get the correct download for your version of OS X.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 05:07 PM

Appleworks on the Intel Macs works just fine. It loads and runs much faster than MS Office. The database module works great. It is simple and small.

You can't install directly from disks since it is a PPC application. Drag the Appleworks folder already installed onto your PPC, onto your Intel Mac.
i look in your general direction

bojangles
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
FileMaker is … on the same level as Access.
I’ve used FileMaker and I’ve used Access, and I can honestly say that FileMaker is not on the same level as Access; it’s like 20 levels above it. Access is significantly more difficult to use, and what’s more, requires an external application to create a halfway decent interface. FileMaker is, as OreoCookie said, “as easy as it gets,” yet is powerful enough to do pretty much anything you would need (as long as you’re not trying to serve over 350 concurrent users, at which case it becomes more difficult and, frankly, somewhat cost-prohibitive).

The other bonus with FileMaker is that it’s cross-platform, but definitely geared towards Mac users (and more specifically, Mactel users; the speed difference is amazing!). Guess that’s how you become a subsidiary of Apple.
( Last edited by bojangles; Sep 7, 2006 at 09:49 AM. )
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

OreoCookie
Sep 7, 2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bojangles
I’ve used FileMaker and I’ve used Access, and I can honestly say that FileMaker is [i]not /[i]on the same level as Access; it’s like 20 levels above it. Access is significantly more difficult to use, and what’s more, requires an external application to create a halfway decent interface. FileMaker is, as OreoCookie said, “as easy as it gets,” yet is powerful enough to do pretty much anything you would need (as long as you’re not trying to serve over 350 concurrent users, at which case it becomes more difficult and, frankly, somewhat cost-prohibitive).

The other bonus with FileMaker is that it’s cross-platform, but definitely geared towards Mac users (and more specifically, Mactel users; the speed difference is amazing!). Guess that’s how you become a subsidiary of Apple.
Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. I wasn't talking about features, but in terms of end-users: if you want to create a simple database on PCs, you'll probably use Access (next semester, my co-worker will use Access to track the points and grades of over 450 students hearing Linear Algebra 1.

If you want to create a simple database on a Mac, chances are good that you'll use FileMaker. I've used FileMaker eons ago for a project, so I'm not up to speed with its current capabilities.

So in this sense, Access and FileMaker are `equivalent', even though FileMaker is superior in terms of features (even this ancient version of FileMaker I was using (perhaps version 5.5) had webintegration, so people could enter things into the database via a web feature). I'm just glad I'm not responsible for creating that database
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules