Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook apple logo

macbook apple logo
mac_pc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 09:37 PM

The apple logo on the cover, does it light up when you turn the computer on? And also when you put it on sleep, it lights up and down right?

P.S. Does the macbook ever scratch? What is the casing made out of? Could it take a beating?

For example if you drop the thinkpad its still ok but is it with the macbook?

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 09:46 PM

The black version is matte?

Scratch resistence?

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mac_pc
The apple logo on the cover, does it light up when you turn the computer on? And also when you put it on sleep, it lights up and down right?

P.S. Does the macbook ever scratch? What is the casing made out of? Could it take a beating?

For example if you drop the thinkpad its still ok but is it with the macbook?
The Apple Logo on the case of the MacBook is only illuminated when the screen is illuminated (as it is the same light doing both).

It therefore is not illuminated when the MacBook is asleep and it does not pulse like the sleep light on the front of the MacBook.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 02:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The black version is matte?

Scratch resistence?

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 06:55 PM

Yes back is matte and shows finger prints much more than the white model. If you are really planning to buy a MacBook, go to a shop and see it for yourself. Stop asking for questions you can answer by yourself.

And stop reposting the same questions several times.
( Last edited by pat++; Sep 4, 2006 at 07:05 PM. )

mac_pc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 09:30 PM

How is the build quality on the macbooks? I've heard that they are not as durable as pc laptops. If I decide to get the macbook, I am planning to use it for a long time. I don't want it to fail in a couple of years.

P.S. Are the overal length of the battery LIFE as long as a pc on the macbook? And if it dies, how do I get the battery replaced? since its internal unline PC.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:33 AM

How is the build quality on the macbooks? I've heard that they are not as durable as pc laptops. If I decide to get the macbook, I am planning to use it for a long time. I don't want it to fail in a couple of years.

P.S. Are the overal length of the battery LIFE as long as a pc on the macbook? And if it dies, how do I get the battery replaced? since its internal unline PC.
The build quality is about what you would expect out of a $1k laptop--good. They are as durable as any laptop made of plastic. Some even say that the plasctic is more durable than aluminum. I really wouldn't know. I would wager that titanium is stronger than aluminum, but I am not sure how they would compare to plastic. In short, you can bet that it is more durable than those $400 laptops.

The battery life is the same as any PC laptop, they are made of many of the same components (centrino).

It is not exactly an internal battery. The battery easily screws out. It can be replaced rather easily. It is not as easy as removing a Lombard battery, but battery life is better, too (at least on one battery).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 10:02 PM

Build quality is good. My wife has a white MacBook, and it seems to be very well constructed.

As for the batteries, they pop right out like any other laptop - Mac or PC. They are not like the internal battery of the iPods... The MacBook batteries are easily swappable. My wife has two; one she keeps in her laptop bag (charged and ready to go), and one in the machine. If she can't get to a wall plug, at least she can keep on working. Apple sells extra batteries right in their stores.

Forum Links
Forum Rules