Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A question about graphic cards capabilities

A question about graphic cards capabilities
mrtaxman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 11:10 AM

I intend to order a 20” iMac with 2 gigs of ram, 500 gig hard drive, and the 256 mg graphic card.
I don’t do any gaming at all, and plan on using it for simple video editing and producing home videos. Do I really need a better video card?

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 12:50 PM

I'd say no, especially if you aren't doing any 3D or using an extra monitor. All the upgrade does in the 20" is up the amount of memory for holding things like textures for games. If you were talking about the 24" then the 256Mb option is actually a much, much better card and would be advisable.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2006, 12:51 PM

No.

mrtaxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input. I really don’t want the 24” iMac because I already have a 26” Samsung LCD TV in my bedroom. I don’t want my bedroom to look like a special ops room. I know it’s only 4”, but I returned a 23” Samsung for the 26” model and it did make a big difference. I have my Samsung hooked up to a Sony up-scaling DVD player and a Directv Hi-Def TiVo box with HDMI out-puts, so I won’t be watching DVD’s or TV on the Apple anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules