Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Give Me A Software Update

Apple Give Me A Software Update
Live10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:18 PM

I have a Macbook and i have that stupid problem that it shots down every hour for no reason, its getting in my nerves. I live in Puerto Rico and Apple from what i heard don't provide warranty services, and even if they do i can't send them my notebook for repair because i need my laptop for my school work and personal things. Anyway, i also have Windows Vista installed and when i run Vista, my macbook never turns of, its only when i'm in tiger. So this is a software problem, not a hardware one. Thats why i want Apple to release a software fix for this. I'm hopping for a update soon.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 03:28 PM

Welcome, when you say "shuts down" do you mean that? As in turns off, cold dead? Even if you are actively working?
That doesn't sound like any kind of software update!
There is an Security option in System Preferences that will log you off after a certain period of inactivity.

Live10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 03:36 PM

It shots down as in turns of. I know its a software issue because in Windows Vista this doesn't happen only in Tiger.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 05:28 PM

This is supposedly a hardware issue and Apple has offered people to replace their Logic Board free of charge.

There's no other way to fix this, according to them.
Linkinus is king.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 07:39 PM

There is a way to fix this. You can find it at Apple - Support. It involves holding the power button while rebooting for a certain amount of time.

ibook_steve
Oct 3, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
There is a way to fix this. You can find it at Apple - Support. It involves holding the power button while rebooting for a certain amount of time.
Uh, no. This is an issue with the heatsink design and how heat can damage a thermistor which can short and trigger a shutdown, as far as I understand it. Resetting the PMU won't fix it.

Steve


Oct 3, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Uh, no. This is an issue with the heatsink design and how heat can damage a thermistor which can short and trigger a shutdown, as far as I understand it. Resetting the PMU won't fix it.

Steve
Actually resetting the PMU will fix the issue, but only temporarily. If you absolutely must operate it, resetting the PMU is good idea, but it still should be fixed.
-

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 07:41 AM

Form what I understand it was a problem in the earlier Macbooks. My Brother's GF is also having the same issue with hers. She took it to the AppleStore and they are familiar with the problem. They need to replace the MB. Sounds a lot like what happened with some of the older iMac G5's
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 08:21 AM

This has been happening to me too. My MacBook only did this once when I was using 10.4.7. But after I updated it takes me 10+ times at hiting the power button to start it up if it has been off for more than a hour. Also it will shut off after 1-2 minutes if I wake it from a 1hour of sleep. Can you guys help me too.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 09:57 PM

bump
Signature depreciated.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 08:57 AM

Take it back to the AppleStore and tell them. They will most likely replace it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules