Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Wanting to teach my self to program…

Wanting to teach my self to program…
Dakkon
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 04:47 PM

What software, books should I get to teach my self to program? I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars, but 100$ or so on a compiler would be alright, and 1-3 books would be a good place to start.. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 04:52 PM

Propreitary compilers? Welcome to Unix... don't need to pay for stuff like that.

What do you want to program? What are you hoping to accomplish? What tasks do you hope your program will be able to handle?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 05:00 PM

BLARGHS!!! has some pretty good info; I agree with his choice of books.

<edit> Curse you macnn forums renaming my links!</edit>

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 05:01 PM

OS X comes with a development environment (including a compiler) called the Xcode Tools. You can download the latest version from http://connect.apple.com/ (requires free registration).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Propreitary compilers? Welcome to Unix... don't need to pay for stuff like that.
Welcome to... unix? Where do you think he's coming from? What reasonably common platform doesn't have a free compilier?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Welcome to... unix? Where do you think he's coming from? What reasonably common platform doesn't have a free compilier?

I was always under the impression that the Windows developer tools were not free, although very cheap?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 06:41 PM

Visual Studio Express is free, though I'm not sure how many people know it. Mac OS didn't have a free compiler for a long time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 07:09 PM

I was always under the impression that the Windows developer tools were not free, although very cheap?
There are dozens free compiliers and IDEs for Windows. Here is a partial list. Microsoft even has a free version of Visual Studio.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure how well optimized some of these third-party compilers are, but of course they would suffice for at least entry-level programming, I'm sure.
They're at least as good: GCC, the same compilier that Xcode uses, is free for Windows.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
There are dozens free compiliers and IDEs for Windows. Here is a partial list. Microsoft even has a free version of Visual Studio.

Didn't know that. Thanks!

I'm not sure how well optimized some of these third-party compilers are, but of course they would suffice for at least entry-level programming, I'm sure.

Dakkon  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2006, 01:52 AM

honestly i want to learn how to program somthing that will be the most usefull, im in the Navy, and will be leaving for 6 months pretty soon, so i want somthing to do while i have a bit of free time, and am stuck on the sub.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dakkon
honestly i want to learn how to program somthing that will be the most usefull, im in the Navy, and will be leaving for 6 months pretty soon, so i want somthing to do while i have a bit of free time, and am stuck on the sub.

I would probably recommend starting with a scripting language such as Ruby or Perl to get a handle on basic data structures (e.g. arrays, hashes, loops), as well as other basic programming concepts (e.g. variable declaration and scope, using functions, using includes, etc.) and learning some Unix will help a great deal in becoming comfortable with concepts of reading from files, data redirection, piping. Basic text processing seems like a good place to start.

Then, you can start working up to building GUIs in C/Objective C and such with a strong foundation of how to generate intelligent underlying algorithms so that your GUI apps actually work in an efficient, accurate, and simple manner.

There is a book by Eric Raymond called "The Art of Unix Programming" I really like. Even if you'd like to program for Windows, this book is still very useful, because it explains what most computer scientists would consider ideal programming practices on any platform, and Unix's founders were very much a part of the creation and codification of these practices.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2006, 05:37 PM

Dakkon,

If you're interested in learning about learning to solve problems, important and useful programming concepts and methods, then I'd suggest looking at this,

Welcome to the SICP Web Site

This is the textbook used for introductory CS at MIT. It's available online for free. You'll have to get a copy of Scheme -- there are many free distributions available.

Once you learn the fundamentals of programming, you can learn a language in a day. It's not important that you start with a "practical" language, it's important that you get up-to-speed in thinking about programming. Trust me, it'll make you a better, faster, and more broad-minded programmer.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Forum Links
Forum Rules