Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Formula 1 2006

Formula 1 2006 (Page 12)
nbnz
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 03:46 PM

These days F1 is a business first and a sport second. That's the sad truth. Yes, Todt wants Schumacher to win because it keeps the business ticking over (that and Schumacher has not had a team mate of the same ability).

But, do you seriously think Briatore doesn't favour Alonso over Fisi? Or Ron Dennis doesn't favour Kimi over Pedro?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Otto Benz
But with Todt's record of favouring Schumacher at the expense of his team mates
Do you have a (real) quote from Todt on the subject of Alonso's statements? I haven't heard him commenting on Alonso's outbursts?

If you mean that Ferrari has been accused of having teammates cede places to Schumacher, I wonder if you watched the Chinese GP. You know, like the part where Fisichella let Alonso past. And I wonder if you heard Alonso saying in interviews that Fisichella should never have been allowed to overtake him in the first place. F1 is a team sport and of course Renault and Ferrari and any other team are going to use their skills to benefit the team. Sometimes that means letting their number 1 driver past the number 2.
Originally Posted by Otto Benz
There are some in the F1 paddock who do not believe that Todt even understands the difference between sport and business. That may be harsh but it is a reality. Both are far of what you would say a sportman.
Why do you always have to steer the discussion back to Ferrari and Schumacher being cheats? Can't you look at Alonso's behaviour in isolation?

Otto Benz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2006, 08:52 AM

There was that quote on the site you posted regarding Alonso named "Ferrari: we'll play dirty" and the same interview was at f1racing.net

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
... I used to be ambivalent about Alonso ...
And the guy going to McLaren had nothing to do with your new attitude towards him?, right

I wonder what are going to do those Schumi fans once this season is over, are you going just to blame 'Everything McLaren' ?.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
And the guy going to McLaren had nothing to do with your new attitude towards him?, right
Not at all. Where did you get the idea that I don't like McLaren from? I like McLaren. Just to prove it, I'm happy to report that I spent some time in a McLaren yesterday and no one forced me!!
Originally Posted by angelmb
I wonder what are going to do those Schumi fans once this season is over, are you going just to blame 'Everything McLaren' ?.
I think most of the Schumi fans will become McLaren fans actually. Most of them are German and the McLaren team is the most German in F1.

However, McLaren is an also-ran team at the moment. I think the chances that they will be competitive next season are quite remote. Mercedes will have to really get their act together to challenge Ferrari and Renault next year. Personally, I don't see anyone beating Kimi next year. I think Kimi is a much better driver than Alonso and when he has a competitive car, I think he'll clean up. Plus, he has a lot more class than Alonso.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 01:00 PM

The most German team in F1 is the BMW-Sauber team. Maybe most German Schumi-fans will migrate to Rosberg. I don't think Mercedes or BMW have much appeal. They are no sports car makers after all.

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 02:33 PM

I'll be supporting Kimi next year (yes I am a Ferrari fan). Although Kimi is the most boring guy in the world when being interviewed, I like his attitude, he just gets on with the job and doesn't seem to get upset when things don't go right (i.e. basically the last 2 seasons).

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The most German team in F1 is the BMW-Sauber team. Maybe most German Schumi-fans will migrate to Rosberg. I don't think Mercedes or BMW have much appeal. They are no sports car makers after all.
I guess you're right although Sauber is Swiss and the BMW F1 team is British.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 05:14 PM

Otto Benz, I really like your F1 commentry, keep it up!
we don't have time to stop for gas

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 07:02 PM

Sauber is Swiss and the BMW F1 team is British.
Who in that team is British? BMW-Sauber is based in Munich and Switzerland (whatever that village is called where Sauber was).

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 02:27 AM

Let us hope it rains tomorrow.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 05:18 AM

I think most of the Schumi fans will become McLaren fans actually.
No thanks !! We'll have enough dealing with all the Alonso moronic fan base, after all, most F1 'fans' are just mere driver fans, they couldn't care less about supporting a TEAM.

BTW, it is easy to guess no Schumi fan is going to support Alonso ever.

Then, I guess Michael'll keep linked in one or another way to FIAT world, so Schu fans would have it easy to keep supporting the reds.

Maybe most German Schumi-fans will migrate to Rosberg.
BUT…!! isn't Ralf still an option? LOL Again, that way of support any driver of your home country is just an old school silly behavior.

I don't think Mercedes or BMW have much appeal. They are no sports car makers after all.
That coming from a german is kinda embarrassing… is e.g. Porsche a better sport car just because all the Porsche range 'used' to be filled by sport cars?. Sport car maker is a niche. Where is really the appeal ?

Who in that team is British?
Maybe that is what is wrong with the Munich based team… BMW WOULD KILL for getting Newey working there, right?

Although Kimi is the most boring guy in the world when being interviewed, I like his attitude, he just gets on with the job and doesn't seem to get upset when things don't go right
That is the coolest side, people would realize than a guy like that is actually nicer than the 'I am God' Michael attitude… I wonder how Kimi's attitude is going to fit with Ferrari's 'Michael, actually you are slightly wrong, WE are God, see, Massa got pole today' attitude, once Kimi keeps wining race after race they would forget Schu's dumb behaviors and poor (lack of) sportsman attitude.

Be honest, if Ferrari keeps wining, who is REALLY going to miss elventybillions worlchampion Michael Schumacher?, -besides Ralf of course, since he [Michael] is the sole reason to Ralf have a F1 seat-. You can call Jacques Villeneuve whatever names you want, but he is, after all, going to be RIGHT.

Please avoid all the 'Ferrari wining is a Michael thing' b*llsh*t.

Otto Benz, I really like your F1 commentry, keep it up!
Couldn't agree more… put it on perspective, McLaren has the worst season in years, and the guy keeps coming here to write nice stuff, stuff you really want to read because he is fun and comes with an awesome level of F1 knowledge. He could tell you "go to hell" in such a way that you actually would look forward to the trip.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 02:45 AM

Alonso wins in Suzuka

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Alonso wins in Suzuka
My heart is filled with a ridiculous quantity of happiness. I LOVE IT!!

nbnz
Senior User
Oct 8, 2006, 04:16 AM

Alonso wins in Suzuka
Booo! Well that's pretty much the championship decided.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 04:19 AM

Mechanical failures are hard to cheat, huh Michael ?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 05:26 AM

I can hear the fat lady warming up.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2006, 08:41 PM

I can hear the fat lady warming up.
But will she be singing in Spanish or Italian first, and French or Italian second?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2006, 11:35 AM

But will she be singing in Spanish or Italian first, and French or Italian second?
Spanish or German for the driver's title and French or Italian for the constructors!

Although I think the Germans and the Italians are out of luck this time round. There's zero pressure on Alonso. He doesn't have to push the car so I don't see it breaking. He doesn't have to drive hard so I don't see him making a mistake either. Schumacher has to win the race so he has to drive hard thereby risking both a mistake and a breakage. At the very least, he will have to deal with Fisichella. The odds are pretty tough.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 12:15 PM

Was Schumachers engine in Japan on its 1st or 2nd race? I also agree that Alonso has no pressure now, finish in the top 8, don't stress the car, and its job done.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Was Schumachers engine in Japan on its 1st or 2nd race?
Second.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

You can make dozens of threads full of Schumacher-hate, but you can't be bothered to make one to celebrate Alonoso's championship? Pathetic.

Ω
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You can make dozens of threads full of Schumacher-hate, but you can't be bothered to make one to celebrate Alonoso's championship? Pathetic.
Have I missed something?

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards. So far it was more polite to let Schumi fans being the first ones to congratulate Fernando by winning the championship.

Sad there is not a single Schumi fan able to do it. Porca miseria.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 08:24 AM

Congratulations to Alonso. It was a tight finish, but he held his nerve. I think he's done himself some damage along the way with the ridiculous comments he's made about his own team, but a title is a title and he has 2 of them. Looking forward to next year.

Schumacher had 3 bits of bad luck - the engine dies in Japan when he's in the lead, the fuel pump goes in qualifying in Brazil where he's clearly quickest and then the tyre blowout on lap 4 of the race. If any of those had gone the other way, the story would have been different. They didn't though and that's sport.

However, watching him go from 10th to 6th in 4 laps and then from a full lap behind up to 4th was one of the highlights of all the grand prixs I've ever watched. He had a great car, of course, but he was just sublime on the track! That overtaking manouevre on Kimi was out of this world and his consistency is just astounding. Lap record after lap record. Between 1 and 2 seconds faster than anyone else on the track every lap for what 60 laps? Unbelievable. This man is certainly not retiring because he doesn't have the skills anymore!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 09:59 AM

Congrats to Alonso, and congrats to Schumacher for showing he could probably show them how its done next year if he had wanted to.

Quote of the race goes to Raikonnen on the grid. This was on ITV in the UK, with Brundle walking around the grid, so I don't know if this coverage goes out to other countries -

Just after Pele makes the presentation to Schumacher on the grid, Brundle walks back down the grid and sees Raikonnen leaning against the wall, waiting...

Brundle: Kimi, you just missed Michael's presentation
Raikonnen: Yes, I know.
Brundle: Do you think you'll get over it?
Raikonnen: Yeah, I'll be ok, I was having a sh*t.
Brundle: (laughing) Well at least you've got rid of some weight for the race.

Laughed out loud at that one, live on TV a about 5.45pm in the evening.

There were a few what if's from that race, apart from Schumacher's bad luck. Button starting from 14th because of the traction control problem in qualifying, and finishing 3rd. A better grid position there could easily have got him second, maybe a win.

Ferrari will be very strong next year with Massa (who has proved himself in the second half of this season) and Raikonnen. Will be interesting how strong the other teams are (McLaren with Alonso, Renault without him!)

Heres to 2007.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Button starting from 14th because of the traction control problem in qualifying, and finishing 3rd. A better grid position there could easily have got him second, maybe a win.
The guy does have more talent in the car than I credited him for but I don't think the Honda could have beaten either one of the Ferraris.

I think that if Schumacher takes on a car development role next year, then Ferrari have a good chance next year but I think a lot of their success is down to the work he does on a car in testing. Kimi is notorious for being a bit lazy. I've heard it said that he is the antithesis of Schumacher in that he prefers to rock up and drive the wheels off a car but isn't too interested in how it works or working with the mechanics to improve it. Massa doesn't have the experience to get the best out of a car the way Schumacher did. I think the playing field will be much more level next year if Schumacher doesn't stay on at Ferrari F1. These have been the golden years of Ferrari I think though.

Otto Benz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 04:12 PM

Congratulations to Alonso, Renault and key partner Michelin. They have much to celebrate.

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 04:36 PM

Maybe something for a poll...: Most disappointed driver / team of the year: Nico Rosberg / Williams ?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 04:51 PM

Kimi
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Maybe something for a poll...: Most disappointed driver / team of the year: Nico Rosberg / Williams ?
That's the most disappointing driver and team. I'd go with Kimi as the most disappointed.

Alonso gets the award for the whiniest driver.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 03:55 AM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 06:28 AM

Underperforming driver prize goes to Fisico, you can't be that bad with a winning car… Does this guy deserve the Clio Sport Renault had reserved for him (and Fernando) ?, I doubt Giancarlo could even stress a Renault Modus dci, which of course is too cool for Fisico

No wonder Mac OS X built-in spelling engine says it is not 'Fisico' but 'Fiasco', take that !!

Otto Benz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 06:50 AM

Didn't you know that the days of F1 videos on youtube are numbered? X-D

The overtaking move was possible because Kimi was sporting enough to not close again and sent Schumi and himself rolling over the wall, because Kimi has all the car in front when Schu went twice to the inside and if Kimi wishes he could do that as seen before no matter of what ... right? Or are we counting the sporting and unsporting behaviour?

Fisico finished 4th so this was his best ever season on F1. He is not championship material so is fine and he is happy.

Disappointing driver of the year ? Montoya
( Last edited by Otto Benz; Oct 24, 2006 at 07:10 AM. )

Otto Benz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 07:02 AM

All the quotes referring to 'an insider' or 'a close source' or any other quoted without referring to his real name are purely fictional and joke aimed. However it could share several facts close to reality.

My loyal readers at MacNN'll have noticed that I missed the Japanese post. This was not due to sabotage from unhappy ferrari people who do not like to hear too much of the truth - although there are a few suspects who might have considered the idea - but because other shortcomings with so called modern Unix OS.

However, watching him go from 10th to 6th in 4 laps and then from a full lap behind up to 4th was one of the highlights of all the grand prixs I've ever watched. He had a great car, of course, but he was just sublime on the track! That overtaking manouevre on Kimi was out of this world and his consistency is just astounding. Lap record after lap record. Between 1 and 2 seconds faster than anyone else on the track every lap for what 60 laps? Unbelievable. This man is certainly not retiring because he doesn't have the skills anymore!
"Schumacher has shown in his last race he is still the strongest," Source Luca di Montezemolo

Very much the same speaking. As I understand World Championships are won or lost by virtue of the accumulated results achieved across the course of an entire season, not on a single race. To be the strongest and failing to achieve any titles could lead to (mis)understand that there was a lack of effort of diligence, and was that? No it wasn't, of course. To make asserts based on a single race could led you to be fooled the next one. But as there isn't a next one for Schu it leaves you (and Luca) with anything to prove. Schu left at its finest but he has show at many moments that he is not as strong as he used , and not the strongest by any means.

One more jewell from Montezemolo, (Suzuka)

"Logically I am very sorry for what happened only a couple of laps before the end of the race when Michael was clearly at the front of the race Source Luca di Montezemolo, about JapaneseGP.

What kind of speaking is this? 'A couple of laps' is absolutely erroneous and 'clearly at the front' is, to say the less over optimistic. I would say that Massa was clearly at the front at Brazil, but not Schumi at Suzuka. Not at all.

The unexpected extras

As said, it was Schumi at his finest and that is saying something. But sad for him he was tasting the bad luck others have suffered for years.

We can discuss why the ferrari was so fast trying to understand if this was a one day off or the sign of more stuff to come. Both Schumi and Massa were enjoying the joys of a 'one race engine' and a bridgestone tyre superiority. As Todt loves to speech, the whole package was impressive.

As you would agree the two engine rule was s**t from day one (or before) but as the rule says that any engine has to last two complete races cicles and therefore has to be designed for that. What happened then? It happened that the teams has so many more thinking people, and I am sure, much more capable people doing the job as many FIA rules are so silly, confusing and unclear that is really easy to do an advantage. So as soon as ANY team find a loop hole on a rule the FIA should fix it with the seasonal clarification to the rule. Tricking a two race engine into a one race engine goes, to say the less, against the spirit of the rule. Why do they still allow funny stuff that are against the rules or against the spirit of the rules, as someone likes to write? Fixed! The ****ing 19000 limiter is coming!

You understand why several manufactures were against it at fullest. It was the begining of Max full control over engines, something he wanted to do since 90s. Not only it achieved nothing for what it was granted but also it achieved some things opposed to its aims. It put Cosworth out of F1 business when it was supposed to help the small guys against giganticus manufactures.

Then to make the ferrari show more impressive, the close runner to them, Alonso, was the guy with less reasons to push.

Then it was the Bridgestone advantage, mostly on the second sector that allowed bridgestone-shod drivers to make the most of them at cornering moments. Don't believe the tyre was way better?

Check the fastest laps of the race and try to find something strange.

M. Schumi 1:12.162
F. Massa 1:12.877
F. Alonso 1:12.961
J. Button 1:13.053
Fisichella 1:13.121
Räikkönen 1:13.281
S. Yamamoto 1:13.379
R.Barrichello 1:13.391
T. Sato 1:13.401

Two Aguris doing superlaps!!

Ferrari escapes another penalty

Well, I can anticipate that several members'll be here complaining about this. But yes guys, that happened. Rules are rules and Ferrari driver Felipe Massa broke several rules on the race event. I am posting the rule and let you know about it.

Still there? He stopped on track and he received an object. Pretty stupid the rule was but if Alonso was demoted because a stupid rule that was found later so stupid that FIA took immediate action and modified it, then here is another one but nothing happened. Why?

Sometimes Massa is a kid. He is a little kid. Little in every sense

Dramatic moments at Williams!

Webber has left his two former teams on the same fashion, going out of the race thanks to his team 'mate' at Brazil. A source comfirmed that Nico didn't suffer bad injuries as was traveling at top speed on pitlane because P. Head was hot pursuing him.

"Unfortunately I hit Mark and I don't know what happened with him yet. It's a sh!t way to end the season like this." Source N. Rosberg.

It was a sh!t way to end a sh!t season for Williams to be more accurate.

Despite this year performance, one of my favorite guys at pitlane was very optimistic It can only get better from here. Source Patrick Head

Don't miss this!!

After the attack on Toyota personnel on Friday evening security in Sao Paulo was beefed up by the locals, embarrassed by the attack and reports of it in newspapers around the world. Come Sunday, however, this new awareness got a little out of control when Flavio Briatore arrived at the track with a bodyguard. When he tried to get into the circuit he was stopped by a guard and the result was that the two guards ended up in a fist fight with a bemused Briatore standing by, wondering what is going on in the world
Whatever Toyota is playing

If you though that Toyota couldn't do it wrong again after the Japanese misleading performance, you were really wrong. They were looking competitive at Japan, as said from his press office, of course. The fact was that they did another great achievement for the F1 story. Putting both cars fastest laps of the Suzuka race ... on the very second lap!! .

Then it came Brazil. Out track several of Toyota crew was ambushed at a traffic light. On track it wasn't much better. Ralf pitted and retired on lap 9. Trulli retired on lap 10.

On lap 14 David Coulthard pitted and retired as well. We RedBull were aware of the crap setup running here so it was going to be a difficult race. As I was close to my pit moment my engineer told me that the Toyota guys retired. But Ralf, who I believe has less than half brain than his brother , pitted and retired just to catch much more TV moments. In fact he took twice if not more. On the other side, Jarno was caugh inside pits looking at some data so it was great for them also. I chose to go on the same strategy, it was working really well with onboards and so , I was also caught on pitlane while watching the race, so I am really happy with all the TV momentum I achieved for RedBull. As much as all the Toyota team, but without getting close to the embarrasing limit Source unconfirmed.

Schumi charging more than any rechargeable battery

I'm outta !!!!

Do it holding hands if you got the notion

I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face..

The pursuit of happiness

Bibendum against the odds

A big crash

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 07:17 AM

I have no reason to watch F1 when I can read Otto Benz's awesome coverage .
Another vote for Montoya as most disappointing driver of the year.
i hope button improves more, i have high hopes for him.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Otto Benz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 07:52 AM

In comparison to the mid season my latest statements are kinda boring to be honest. It was clear that we're coming to the end of the season and that put us F1 fans down.

p.s. I just noticed that Fisico is 'grey' on the same fashion of Massa pict. X-D :-o

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Otto Benz View Post
... because Kimi has all the car in front when Schu went twice to the inside ...
Rubbish. Schumacher pulled alongside Kimi under braking. When it came time to turn in, Schumacher was inside and level. And that's where he stayed - tight on the inside.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Otto Benz View Post
Check the fastest laps of the race and try to find something strange.

M. Schumi 1:12.162
F. Massa 1:12.877
F. Alonso 1:12.961
J. Button 1:13.053
Fisichella 1:13.121
Räikkönen 1:13.281
S. Yamamoto 1:13.379
R.Barrichello 1:13.391
T. Sato 1:13.401
That in comparison to Schumacher everyone else was crap? His lap time is 7 tenths faster than the next fastest and 8 tenths faster than Alonso! Per lap! That is a country mile in Formula 1.

And it wasn't one lap of qualifying at that pace - it was 60-odd laps at that pace. It was passing other cars at that pace. Say what you will about Schumacher, but anyone watching that performance with an open mind recognises genius.

Coming out of the pits at the back of the field in the last race of the season, most drivers give up. The determination you saw from Schumacher is what made him great and also what got him into trouble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules