Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple expensive? I don't think so.

Apple expensive? I don't think so.
aryayush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 01:49 AM

... and here's the reason why.
There are three departments in computer hardware: for home use, office use and on the go. Apple offers the iMac and Mac Mini; Mac Pro; and MacBook and MacBook Pro respectively for the three departments. In this little article, I will justify the price of the Apple 17-inch iMac in comparison to a self assembled PC with similar specs and try to make you, a prospective buyer, see the competitiveness of Apple’s pricing. Read on to see how things are not always as transparent as they might seem!
I have written my first ever article on technology and wouldn't mind if a few people had a look at it. Please click on this sentence to read the article and leave a comment if possible! Thank you!
I think this is a debatable topic and I would like to know how many people disagree with me and their reason for doing so.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 05:03 PM

Why bother comparing a laptop to a self-built PC?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 06:05 PM

The iMac technically fills the desktop category. I always say if it doesn't have a battery then it's not a laptop.


Sep 27, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Why bother comparing a laptop to a self-built PC?
Last time I checked, the iMac is a desktop.
-

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 12:26 PM

Oops. I mis-read it. I thought it was a 17" MacBook.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 05:42 AM

I have another post to support my Apple is not expensive theory, if you would care to have a look here: Apple expensive? I don't think so... (part deux). Comments are now open to everyone, if you are so inclined.

anandbatra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 06:55 AM

ah ayush.. you'll get much better comments here than on digit forums

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 09:56 AM

I sure hope so!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2006, 11:32 AM

My criticisms regarding your articles:
  • It's less of an "article" and more of an "opinion editorial"
  • Your OS X love is coming out... way too much to be taken seriously.
  • Your "factors in favour of Apple’s iMac" are questionable. It looks like you had 5 good responses and then used filler to make it to 10.
Ultimately, people willing to buy all the computer parts and assemble their computer by themselves will find good deals. Most of the time, they can build very fast systems for MUCH less than what Apple (or many computer companies) can off.

That being said, while I'm happy cracking my case and tinkering around, I'm not about to burn a weekend building a system. Others enjoy it, I don't.

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 05:25 AM

Tiger and Vista: Pictures do speak louder than words!
This post is a must read for Mac and PC users alike. I have been as objective as it is humanly possible to be. The subjective differences that appear on such articles are bound to be present though. Please do give it a look anyway! Thanks!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
That being said, while I'm happy cracking my case and tinkering around, I'm not about to burn a weekend building a system. Others enjoy it, I don't.
Bah.
When my roommate and I each built our own PCs, neither one of us took more than an hour. Seriously, motherboard in case, RAM and processor on motherboard, mount HD and optical drives, plug stuff in, you're good to go.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by aryayush
This post is a must read for Mac and PC users alike. I have been as objective as it is humanly possible to be. The subjective differences that appear on such articles are bound to be present though. Please do give it a look anyway! Thanks!
SPAM!

P.S. The article sucks. Try to be somewhat objective next time.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by aryayush
Already done by Bertrand Serlet at this year's WWDC.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 07:33 PM

On safari, the right side of the chart "aproximate price" does not show. In I.E. it shows.

Have a link on the bottom or top of the article to the second part of this article (you have 2 parts that are not linked) and maybe even links to other stuff at the bottom of the page = after they are done reading maybe they want to see something else.

You have a B.S. in interior design = focus on that instead of price. Anyone can build a $1000 piece of trash that runs Windows. Focus on design and artistic element and specifically what allows you to do more efficient work on an Mac.

You see this mentality with iPods all the time = others are cheaper and better. But when it comes down to use they are not. A computer that is not useable is worthless. Instead of comparing you should be showing others what you do on your Mac. =There is no comparison =You are wrong and I am right.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 07:37 PM

Instead of just a link to the new iPod Nano Red have your own page and pictures. Show a picture of Oprah and Bono shopping. Show a comparison to the other iPod colors. Put up a few words about why you think this Red iPod is a great idea. Even talk about drugs and drug costs for 3rd World people, India drug industry etc.

-I'm a retard. You have a Google news area (Nano Red info) - which is ok.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 07:45 PM

Here's a good one for you. Microsoft has Virtual PC and VPC 2007 Beta for free right now. Why is this? Does Vista not run any of the older Windows software? I have Windows Vista RC1 and most of the old stuff does not run = you will need to VM (virtual machine) all of the old <Vista stuff or upgrade your programs to Vista compatible.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by badsey
Here's a good one for you. Microsoft has Virtual PC and VPC 2007 Beta for free right now. Why is this? Does Vista not run any of the older Windows software? I have Windows Vista RC1 and most of the old stuff does not run = you will need to VM (virtual machine) all of the old <Vista stuff or upgrade your programs to Vista compatible.
VMware released their virtualization product for free, so MS decided to match.
I ran the pre-RC1 betas of Vista for a while and most software worked fine; the software that didn't failed mostly because of the change in driver model (daemon tools, etc).

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 02:30 AM

badsey, thanks for the constructive criticism! I will rectify the flaws you mentioned.
( Last edited by aryayush; Oct 14, 2006 at 10:51 AM. )

jimgleeson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 09:54 AM

Falling into the more, cheaper, faster is better argument is one of the ways a Windows PC user will try to get someone on the ropes as far as comparing the Mac to the PC. Chances are you will find a PC for cheaper, it's just going to happen. But yes, you have to factor in a lot of other things as well. Such as opportunity cost. How often are Windows Users configuring their systems as opposed to "just doing" what they want to do? What about surfing? What about downloading the latest patches for their antivirus software? What about the steps required to do even the most mundane activities?

I elaborate on my arguments here:

Blogrhythm � Blog Archive � Cheaper, Faster, More is Better?
It takes all kinds.

jimgleeson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 09:58 AM

I try to steer clear of the old more, cheaper, faster=better arguments as they are old and seem to gather more dust as time goes by. Over the past several months as well a lot of these arguments have been turned on their ears for a couple of reasons.

1. Macs are using intel processors.
2. Macs can run Windows

So I suppose the only argument left for a Windows PC user is that PC's are cheaper. My simple response to that is "you get what you pay for" but my more elaborate response was in the blog post cited below.

Blogrhythm � Blog Archive � Cheaper, Faster, More is Better?
It takes all kinds.

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 10:51 AM

Update: I have linked the two 'Apple expensive?' articles as you suggested and also included additional links to other articles and the homepage. The table's problem is also fixed by linking it to the image so that you can just click on the table to open it in all it's tri-columned glory! Thanks again, badsey!
There is also a new post which is my take on Apple's new 'Get a Mac' ads. I have begun to find them to be quite annoying now.
Apple launches three new 'Get a Mac' commercials

You have a really good post out there, jimgleeson. I have posted a comment about it there itself.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 01:15 PM

are you asking for constructive criticism?

if so, there here is my .02 cents.

to be blunt. you are overly bias towards Apples, I have no respect for you as a tech writer because of your blatent bias.

why in the world are you compareing a prebuilt, small formfactor computer, to a self-built windows machine? they are two completely different genres of computers. the article doesn't make since.

it's just another "go apple, boo PC" article.

another thing that caught my eye, is that this article is written for the technologically stupid. Why write about custom built PCs to the stupid? they won't be building PCs anytime soon, so why do they care?

Keep writing! work towards becoming an honest writer..

Just a suggestion, if you want to be a hardware reviewer, remove all non-paid advertisement for companies. how am I supposed to trust you in saying apple is cheaper than any other option in the world when you have freaking columns of "apple hot news!" and "PCs suck!"?

so there, I hope I helped somewhat... most people would automatically get pissed off at my post just becuase I'm being blunt, but if you looking for true honest criticism you will take a chill pill and realize that in order to get better, you have to take in everyones advice, find the happy medium and work on that.. I'm the extreme on oneside, and the "go apple! boo PCs!" are the extremes on the other side.

have fun writing!
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 01:40 PM

These articles make me wonder, again, what it is about Apple that has created such legions of blindly
self-riteous fans. This is a mega corporation we're talking about - they don't need free promotional work, they do it extremely well themselves.

If you want to spend your free time learning to write I'd suggest that you might want to pick a more socially relevant topic. Otherwise, you might as well just blog about Paris Hilton's newest sexalicious outfit - it's on the same level as far as I'm concerned.

aryayush  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 02:29 AM

I know that post was biased but I have tried to rectify my error with the most recent post about the Apple ads. And I am working hard on being more objective.

As for the Apple Hot News section, well, that is just an RSS feed for people who are interested in news about Apple. There is also a feed for Google's general Sci/Tech news. I don't think there s anything wrong with them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules