Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > First Memory Stick Single

First Memory Stick Single
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2006, 01:28 AM

I have been anticipating the release of music onto memory sticks ever since the mp3 player hit the streets and here is the first one

Guardian Unlimited Arts | Arts news | CDs, downloads ... and now band launches the memory-stick single

Wonder if it will catch on

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2006, 01:32 AM

Interesting gimmick. I don't think it'll catch on, though. Too many people use CDs.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 07:24 AM

NVRAM is getting cheaper, but physical CD's only cost about 50 cents to produce. Most of the cost is the marketing and packaging (and markup).

So how much memory is needed for one song? About 4-8MB at a decent kbps rate?

Theoretically, the cost of producing a single would drop as only the pakaging would be different. All memory sticks would be the same eliminating production runs specific to any particular song.

I could see it happening eventually.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Railroader
Banned
Oct 19, 2006, 09:36 AM

This has the potential to be the new music delivery medium. DRM is easily imbedded so the record companies will love it. But someone will find a way around it.

They'll probably be read only chips. I hope the bit rate is huge as I can barely stand 128. About the only place I can listen to 128 is in the car.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 09:57 AM

..:: KEANE ::..

" 'Nothing In My Way' will be released on USB on Monday, 30th October 2006 and will retail for £3.99. It will be presented in standard-sized CD packaging, with the memory stick shrink-wrapped to the sleeve artwork, so it will be easy to merchandise in-store. The single will also be available
on CD, vinyl and digital formats.

This unique innovative format bridges the gap between physical and digital channels of music distribution, and offers a truly multi-platform media package. The uniqueness of this new product also extends to the fact that it is re-usable, as this memory stick has a capacity of 512mb and is the world's thinnest flash drive."

Its a usable 512Mb memory stick.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 09:58 AM

Weird. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules