Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Checking Embedded Fonts in PDFs?

Checking Embedded Fonts in PDFs?
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 02:43 PM

Last year an advertisier in a magazine I was putting together sent me a PDF that looked fine on my computer but printed poorly because, according to the printer, the fonts had not been embedded. (I did not get to see the bluelines.) The advertiser complained and was informed of the alleged problem.

So same annual magazine, same advertsier, new PDF ad this year. I have Acrobat Professional 6. I have run their preflight using default settings. Apparently it seems as though the fonts are embedded, but when I checked to old ad, it said the same thing!

So I tried Advanced> Use Local Fonts, and both old & new look the same.

So I tried File> Document Properties> Fonts and both new and old claim to have embedded fonts.

How can I check for saure to know the fonts ARE embedded? Is it possible that the printer lied to me last year?

I have to ship this job on Monday, and it's shipping to the UK where I will have little ability to affect major changes or repair personally...

Any ideas, kids???

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hi T

Open the PDF in Illustrator. Any missing fonts will be ID'd. If all is there:

1. Load missing fonts (if you have them), reopen in Acrobat and resave or...
2. Reopen in Illustrator, outline all fonts and resave as a PDF or...
3. Open in Photoshop at desired resolution, CMYK etc., and resave as PDF, TIF, whatever.

W2

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
Last year an advertisier in a magazine I was putting together sent me a PDF that looked fine on my computer but printed poorly because, according to the printer, the fonts had not been embedded. (I did not get to see the bluelines.) The advertiser complained and was informed of the alleged problem.

So same annual magazine, same advertsier, new PDF ad this year. I have Acrobat Professional 6. I have run their preflight using default settings. Apparently it seems as though the fonts are embedded, but when I checked to old ad, it said the same thing!

So I tried Advanced> Use Local Fonts, and both old & new look the same.

So I tried File> Document Properties> Fonts and both new and old claim to have embedded fonts.

How can I check for saure to know the fonts ARE embedded? Is it possible that the printer lied to me last year?

I have to ship this job on Monday, and it's shipping to the UK where I will have little ability to affect major changes or repair personally...

Any ideas, kids???

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
...So I tried File> Document Properties> Fonts and both new and old claim to have embedded fonts...
This tells me that, perhaps, the problem exists with the printer, depending on what they do with the PDF. Have you asked the printer about this discrepancy?

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2006, 11:55 AM

the printer, I suspect, was BS'ing me... this year we are using a different printer in a different country... and this time I am supposed to send some "test files" so I will send this particular one that I am suspicious of...

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2006, 12:10 PM

Excellent idea. If they rip the old file successfully, you'll know to scratch the old printer off your list.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 10:00 AM

Question... did you send a jpg of the ad as well. As a rule of thumb, I always send a lower resolution gif or jpg with the ad so that the printer knows what it should look like.

It's helped me out a time or two when a font was corrupted, etc.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2006, 12:52 PM

well it looked OK in the lo-res PDF of the entire piece I sent along with the job... but I embed when I create my lo-res PDFS

Forum Links
Forum Rules