Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac as a TV

24" iMac as a TV
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 04:30 AM

Hello every body. I was wondering about using the iMac 24" as a TV via EyeTV. I have a few questions...

1. Over all how does the 24" iMac preform? C2D chip works well? No software problems I should know about? How loud is it (fan)?

2. Is the basic graphics card good enough? Should I upgrade?

3. Should I upgrade the RAM too? Should I max it out?

4. It will be on a lot so should I worry about waring it out?

5. How does EyeTV preform? Works well?

6. On EyeTV site it showed two options, analog and digital TV. I have a digital cable box on my current TV and planed on pluging it into the iMac, but with the digital option I wonder if I will need my box (its also a DVR).

7. Is there a difference between the micro EyeTV and the regular one?

If I have any other questions I will add them later.

Thx for the help!
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Oct 23, 2006 at 05:06 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 04:53 AM

1. The last issue of MacUser reviewed it, and in most of the speed tests it came out faster than the 2GHz Mac Pro. The only software problems are possibly with Boot Camp running Windows because of the screen size when Windows boots up, and the speed of non Universal apps through Rosetta.

2. The 7600 looks to be a big step up, and well worth it compared to the processor upgrade to 2.33GHz.

3. 1GB RAM is OK, but 2GB would be a good upgrade, the 3Gb upgrade is $$$, and apparently takes a slight speed hit because the RAM channels arent matched.

4. Can't say, I shut my Mac down when I'm not using it, but I know a lot here keep their Mac on all the time and put it to sleep between times.

5. Would have thought so.

6. Don't know.

7. See answer 6 .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
1. The last issue of MacUser reviewed it, and in most of the speed tests it came out faster than the 2GHz Mac Pro. The only software problems are possibly with Boot Camp running Windows because of the screen size when Windows boots up, and the speed of non Universal apps through Rosetta.

2. The 7600 looks to be a big step up, and well worth it compared to the processor upgrade to 2.33GHz.

3. 1GB RAM is OK, but 2GB would be a good upgrade, the 3Gb upgrade is $$$, and apparently takes a slight speed hit because the RAM channels arent matched.

4. Can't say, I shut my Mac down when I'm not using it, but I know a lot here keep their Mac on all the time and put it to sleep between times.

5. Would have thought so.

6. Don't know.

7. See answer 6 .
Will The basic model work for me? (I'm on a tight budget so I don't want any unnecessary costs).
Signature depreciated.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 06:52 AM

Well if budget is important, the only difference between 24" and 20" is the screen size and graphics card. $500 saved right there if you don't absolutely need 24".

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 07:21 AM

Well if budget is important, the only difference between 24" and 20" is the screen size and graphics card. $500 saved right there if you don't absolutely need 24".
It has to be a 24" because we will be sitting about 8+ feet away. This is not going to be a private computer. Is there a big difference between the 7300 and the 7600?
Signature depreciated.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 12:10 PM

... the only difference between 24" and 20" is the screen size and graphics card...
The firewire 800 port on the 24" is also a plus -- if you'll use it. As new peripherals come out this will be a plus. If game performance is an issue, the video card in the 24" will last longer for you. Not saying these are worth the $500, but they might be.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Will The basic model work for me? (I'm on a tight budget so I don't want any unnecessary costs).
buy a tv. your friends and family will get tired on watching television on a computer real quickly.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
buy a tv. your friends and family will get tired on watching television on a computer real quickly.
Agreed. You've already got digital cable and a DVR, so you might as well blow the $2000+ on an awesome TV.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Agreed. You've already got digital cable and a DVR, so you might as well blow the $2000+ on an awesome TV.
I NEED THE POWER! My MacBook is not good enough! And I don't think I can plug my MacBook in to a 30+ inch TV (w/o a adaptor). I thought that this might be cheaper than a TV.
Signature depreciated.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 01:06 AM

I NEED THE POWER! My MacBook is not good enough! And I don't think I can plug my MacBook in to a 30+ inch TV (w/o a adaptor). I thought that this might be cheaper than a TV.
Oh come on, what do you need the power for? Updating your crappy iWeb page with more 'animations' of your 3000 iPods?
And why would you think that an entire computer+24" LCD would be less than just an LCD?
The MacBook has a mini-DVI out port, and you can get a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor for $19 from Apple, and an HDMI to DVI cable off of eBay for like $20 or less.
Just (have your mom) get a big TV and keep using your MacBook, it's more than enough for you.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 03:41 AM

5. How does EyeTV preform? Works well?

6. On EyeTV site it showed two options, analog and digital TV. I have a digital cable box on my current TV and planed on pluging it into the iMac, but with the digital option I wonder if I will need my box (its also a DVR).

7. Is there a difference between the micro EyeTV and the regular one?

If I have any other questions I will add them later.

Thx for the help!
For those interested in the EyeTV:

5. I recently got an EyeTV DTT (for watching digital terrestrial television) for use with my PowerBook, together with a Firewire 400, 500GB external hard drive for the recordings.

I have to say I am impressed with how well it works. Having a bigger screen can only be a bonus.

The only problem I have with it is that I can't watch a different channel while recording. That is, if I am recording a programme, it isn't possible to watch a different live channel. However, you can watch a previously recorded programme at the same time (or the current recording from the start), just not live TV. (Actually, there is a second problem - the small aerial that comes with the hardware isn't great and I had to hook it up to a larger portable aerial to receive all the channels.)

6 and 7. Visit the Elgato website to find out which EyeTV (or third party tuner) is most suitable for you. If you select the products listing, you will be presented with a series of pop-up menus to select which country you are in, what signal you receive, etc and it will then tell you which of the EyeTV products are suited to that set of criteria.

As it works very well on my PowerBook, if you are able to use a digital receiver, there would be zero problems using one on a new iMac (if EyeTV is Universal software). Analogue requires more horsepower as it is necessary for the software to convert the signal into digital before you can view it, but a Core Duo should be able to do this without any problems.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 03:50 AM

Now I think about it, there is another problem with the software: it can wake your computer to record a scheduled programme but, if you use the password protected screensaver option in System Preferences, this will cause the recording to fail as your computer will go back to sleep again after a few minutes if no password is entered. To get around this, I created a separate EyeTV account and deactivated the password protected screensaver option. When I'm not at home, I log into my EyeTV account rather than leaving my user account open and unprotected. This works for scheduling because I keep my EyeTV folder on the external, so anything that I schedule in one account is accessible in the other and the software picks it up automatically.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 07:13 PM

Oh come on, what do you need the power for? Updating your crappy iWeb page with more 'animations' of your 3000 iPods?
And why would you think that an entire computer+24" LCD would be less than just an LCD?
The MacBook has a mini-DVI out port, and you can get a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor for $19 from Apple, and an HDMI to DVI cable off of eBay for like $20 or less.
Just (have your mom) get a big TV and keep using your MacBook, it's more than enough for you.
Will a MacBook over a DVI to HDMI adaptor handle a 30+" screen? And thanks for sinking so low to attack me.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Oct 24, 2006 at 08:13 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 08:10 PM

Can you guys with 24" iMacs measure to see if the iMac from edge of the iMac to the other edge of the iMac, horizontally? It has to be under 28 inchs. Thanks for the help!
Signature depreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:20 PM

I would for sure get a real TV. As many reviewers say, the new iMacs and minis aren't ready to take over the living room, but they are a step in the right direction. What do you need the power for? What apps do you use that your MacBook can't handle? Maybe get some more RAM for the 'Book and a TV. If you are so unsatisfied with your MacBook's power, then you can give it to me All I'm trying to say is that for the 24" iMac's price, plus EyeTV and accessories, you can get one heck of a TV.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I would for sure get a real TV. As many reviewers say, the new iMacs and minis aren't ready to take over the living room, but they are a step in the right direction.
I didn't expect them to be perfect, but are they really that bad? (or am I just to worried?)

What do you need the power for? What apps do you use that your MacBook can't handle?
I use a program called Celestia that eats GHz like crazy! The fan on my MacBook spins at full speed and gets really annoying.

If you are so unsatisfied with your MacBook's power, then you can give it to me
If you get me the new C2D MacBook Pro I'll let you have it for free ( )
Signature depreciated.

tefleming
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 08:39 PM

I'm gonna jump in and say get a TV, you can always get a Mini to go with it (+external hard drive).

I'm using the Miglia TV Micro. The quality is okay - not as great as the PC-based tuners I used with MCE. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary tv application.
Mac Mini
Core Duo 2.16 GHz + 2GB + 100GB 7200RPM

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tefleming View Post
I'm gonna jump in and say get a TV, you can always get a Mini to go with it (+external hard drive).
Look at the post above. I need GHz. And I don't think a mini will support a 30+ inch TV.
Signature depreciated.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 10:00 PM

Look at the post above. I need GHz. And I don't think a mini will support a 30+ inch TV.
But...do you really want your GHz to be on the computer that's 8 feet away from you and in your living room?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2006, 10:54 PM

I don't know anything about the EyeTV software, but the hardware seems damn expensive compared to the Hauppauge line.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 11:05 PM

Will a MacBook over a DVI to HDMI adaptor handle a 30+" screen? And thanks for sinking so low to attack me.

Most any cheaper LCD is going to be 1378x768, so it will be trivial to drive it.

Even if it is 1080P, it's just equivalent to a 24" cinema display

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
But...do you really want your GHz to be on the computer that's 8 feet away from you and in your living room?
I will only be 8 feet away when I'm watching TV. With the large screen it might not matter.
Signature depreciated.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 02:44 AM

oh hell go ahead and get it. you seem determined to make a tv set out of a computer no matter what anyone says. the new imac is a damn fine computer, just ignore the fact that there are some mighty fine television sets out there now. (mucho cheaper)

fine

fine

fine

just post back a couple of months later and let us all know what you think of your new setup.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 04:47 AM

I think I will get a TV. Can you guys find me a 30+ inch TV that is 1280 x 800 rez?
Signature depreciated.

quiklee
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 01:57 PM

save the money and get yourself a slingbox
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

I think I will get a TV. Can you guys find me a 30+ inch TV that is 1280 x 800 rez?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889114002
Hardest 30 seconds of my life.

BTW Newegg doesn't list 1280x800 as a possible resoution. Where did you come up with that?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 03:40 PM

Get something Pioneer, they're excellent.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 04:14 PM

I don't think you're going to find much over 1024 x 768.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 05:55 PM

BTW Newegg doesn't list 1280x800 as a possible resoution. Where did you come up with that?
Its the max resolution on the MacBook.
Signature depreciated.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 06:12 PM

Its the max resolution on the MacBook.
It's the maximum resolution supported by the MacBook's display.
But after another 30 seconds of grueling research, this chart shows that the maximum supported resolution for an external monitor is 1920x1200.

wifeofcash2
Baninated
Oct 25, 2006, 11:12 PM

We'll be doing the same thing. Rob found some decoder to hook up to the iMac for surround sound, and our current 32" TV has about a 24" screen when watching widescreen movies, which is all we ever watch. The big question he has is the PS2..... will hooking it up to an EyeTV really work well?

As to those who say get a TV instead.... no thanks. We only use our TV for movies, and with the iMac's remote, and front row, it really does make a good TV replacement. Decent size, plus a computer, for a decent price.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 03:30 AM

Some of the Elgato boxes have a direct input for game consoles now. The EyeTV 250 and the EyeTV Hybrid do it, maybe some others too. Oh and C.A.T.S. CEO, Google is your friend, it does take literally 30 seconds to find out the stuff you asked about TV's and resolutions for yourself.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

EyeTV is great - really, really great in fact. But I do have 1 major beef with it:

It doesn't support multiple users !

That is, if one user is logged in and has the app open (which you need to do to record something), another user cannot log in and watch TV. That's a major bummer - I understand the reasons behind it (to that scheduled recordings trigger correctly), but surely the software could be cleverer and have a central recording database and warn the second user if a recording was scheduled ?

It's actually possible to watch multiple digital channels with EyeTV, so long as they share a frequency. For instance, in the UK, several BBC channels are on the same frequency, so you can watch (or record) one, and have another window open with another channel. In the latest software, you can even do Picture-in-Picture.

I'm a massive fan of EveTV - it's probably the best �80 I ever spend for my Mac

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 06:41 PM

Well, well well - ask, and you shall receive...

Miglia TV tuner with DUAL digital recievers

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 09:56 PM

Or you can buy two tuners... and with EyeTv's new Picture in Picture feature watch both at once...

I reckon the reason that Elgato's Hardware is so expensive is that you are also paying for EyeTv with each purchase. It isn't free.
David.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 10:50 PM

2 dual-displays question

1. In dual-display mode, can I switch between the main display and the secondary display...

2. When I unplug the display (main 23" display) will my MacBooks internal display immediately turn back into the main display?

3. I can have independent backgrounds per-display?
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Oct 27, 2006 at 08:17 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 12:22 AM

dual, not duel.

Wealthy parents?

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
dual, not duel.

Wealthy parents?
Ouch...

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 03:04 AM

2 duel-displays question

1. In duel-display mode, can I switch between the main display and the secondary display...

2. When I unplug the display (main 23" display) will my MacBooks internal display immediately turn back into the main display?

3. I can have independent backgrounds per-display?
1. Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Do you mean toggle between video mirroring and video spanning? If so, then yes.

2. IIRC, Yes.

3. Absolutely. It really annoys me that, in WindowsXP, you can't.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
dual, not duel.

Wealthy parents?
Fixed.™
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 08:38 AM

CATS, i suggest you start using Google before asking members to find stuff for you, its really rude.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules