Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > dedicated swapfile partition?

dedicated swapfile partition?
posthumanus
Senior User
Jun 2, 2001, 12:57 AM

this is way too complicated for me but if anyone has the short answer to: 'will it work with OS9 as well?', please let me know.

seems like a lot of work though.
http://www.ResExcellence.com/hack_ht...06-01-01.shtml

posthumanus over.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 2, 2001, 02:09 AM

It does work in OS 9 as well, and it is easier to set up. Open the Memory control panel. In the Virtual Memory section, there is a pop-up menu to choose the partition for the swap file.

Of course, you get the most speedup from real RAM. And real RAM is so cheap right now that there is no excuse on a modern machine not to upgrade. I have 320 MB, and OS X does not normally page anything out to disk at all. I have VM turned off in OS 9, and have never regretted it.

You can get a 256 MB PC133 for US$41 or a 512 MB PC133 for US$120. Note that PC133 will work in a PC100 or PC66 PowerMac (everything from the beige G3 onwards). SODIMMs for iMacs & laptops cost a little more, but still dirt cheap compared to the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules