Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Question re: Playing videos on the new 80 Gig iPod

Question re: Playing videos on the new 80 Gig iPod
GoDucks
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2006, 01:26 PM

I have an 80 Gig iPod and I'm going to rip a few DVD's from my collection so that I can watch them on an upcoming plane trip. I'm wondering if the 640x480 resolution limit from Apple is a hard maximum of 640 or a total maximum of 307200 (640 x 480.) Some of my widescreen movies are 720 x 3something - if I encode them at full resolution, will they play on my iPod?

I'll probably try one later but just wondering if anyone has already tried this?

Chris

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 06:37 PM

The resolution of you iPod is 320x240, so using a higher resolution would yield no better results, if the files played at all. If you want to maintain the aspect ratio, you should use a resolution which does not exceed 320x240 in either of its dimensions.

GoDucks  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2006, 08:21 AM

Understood. The reason I was wondering about the biggest resolution that the iPod could support was that I'd also like to watch the ripped movies on my iMac from time to time and would prefer to just rip once at the largest resolution my iPod can support vs. once for the iPod and once for the iMac.

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 10:56 AM

I'd also rip a small portion to see if the iPod automatically letterboxes widescreen video, or if you need to put in the black bars top and bottom to maintain a sensible aspect ratio.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules