Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Why Sherlock Sucks!!!

Why Sherlock Sucks!!!
doug young
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 08:14 AM

Has anybody ever used Copernic.

This is an application like sherlock, but only for searching the web.
Copernics best feature is that it stores the search string and results on your hard disc.
You can delete individual results and reapply the same search months later or check through for other links that were interesting.

Trouble is, they stopped making it for mac because nobody was using it.

The last version was copernic99, its on my iDisk if you want to try it.
http://homepage.mac.com/dougyoung/Co...taller2.0c.sit

What I want to know is why can't Sherlock do this ???

Stinkfist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2001, 01:51 AM

So Sherlock sucks because it won't save searches? That sounds like a cool feature but I still like Sherlock without it. I only have two problems with Sherlock:

1. It only displays 20 matches. I've never found a way to see more.

2. It spreads advertisments all over the screen whenever searching the web. This really pisses me off! I already paid for my Mac, so why should I have to put up with it blabbering and sputtering corporate propaganda at me when I use it? I HATE commercials, and for this reason I tend to avoid Sherlock unless I absolutely need it.
Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 02:28 AM

Gee, my Sherlock often displays lots more than 20 matches, in HD searches as well as web searches. I just typed in a HD search for "mac" and Sherlock came up with 681 matches, for instance. Now, weeding through them . . .
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

doug young  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2001, 05:10 AM

OK

Maybe Sherlock doesn't suck (much)

My point is, it could be a lot more useful.

Cipher13
Feb 24, 2001, 05:26 AM

Sherlock 2 sucks.
Replace it with Sherlock 1.

Cipher13

Stinkfist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2001, 06:07 AM

I just typed in a HD search for "mac" and Sherlock came up with 681 matches
yeah for HD searches its unlimited, but for some reason when I do internet searches, Sherlock 2 will only show one page of hits. I checked it and actually its more than 20, but it's always the same and I can't find a way to see more.

It doesn't bother me all that much because like you said, too many hits are hard to weed through. Plus Sherlock finds hits so well that I usually don't need any extras.

Cipher, why don't you like Sherlock 2?
Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

doug young  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2001, 06:35 AM

I have to say, I get a better response from web searches with copernic.

It's a shame they abondoned it for the mac, the old version still works though. (8.6 & 9-9.1)
http://homepage.mac.com/dougyoung/Co...taller2.0c.sit

Cipher13
Feb 24, 2001, 06:36 AM

Huh?
No, guys, its limited to the number of engines you search. Its like 20 per engine, I think.
Thats just a guess - but on the rare occasions I use it, I get hundreds of hits.

I don't like it cause its chunky.
Sh!tty interface. Just there for looks, not usability. I hate that like nothing else.
Functionality counts, not brushed metal and sliding resizing fields and stuff.
Sherlock 1 is fast, functional, and I can collaps the damn window!
Argh, man do I hate Sherlock 2
The sequels are never as good.

Cipher13

TriPhaze
Feb 24, 2001, 07:33 PM

Yeah, Sherlock (1) rules. I use the version from Mac OS 8.6. Since I went straight from Mac OS 8.5.1 to 9 I downloaded the 35MB 8.6 update _just_ for this version of Sherlock. And, this was done over a 56K modem connection last Summer. Nice way to lose 2 hours! *grin*

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2001, 03:42 AM

I've got a cool version of Sherlock 2 if anyone wants to try it. No banners, no "brushed metal", and it looks more like OS 9. I'm highly satisfied with it. You can snag it at:
http://bluebomber.darkmazda.com/misc/sherlock201.sit

------------------
The online resource for Rockman and Forte!
http://bluebomber.darkmazda.com/
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 05:48 AM

I'm not on my mac at the moment, but I'm pretty sure you can save sherlock searches. As every other app there is a 'Save...' in the File menu. Cant remember is it saves the results, or just the search string, or both.Have to check when I get back to my mac.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

doug young  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2001, 06:10 AM

It's just the search string with Sherlock.

Copernic saves every piece of information and even produces a .html file of links which it opens for you.

You should try it just so you know what we are all missing.

[This message has been edited by doug young (edited 02-27-2001).]

Treky
Feb 27, 2001, 07:27 AM

It's rumored that Apple is splitting up Sherlock for MacOSX into two separate apps. One will be a traditional Find File functionality integrated seamlessly into the OS. The second will function strictly as a web searching tool and most likely remain a separate app rather than being integrated into the OS. As noted above this is only a rumor and probably not what Apple is doing with Sherlock... assuming they're doing anything at all.

What I would like to see is an integrated search box in every window. Sort of like what WindowsME and 2K has, but with the superior functionality of Sherlock. The problems with the WindowsME/2K search box include:

1. A severe lack of search parameters easily solved by Sherlock which has all the search parameters you could ever want.
2. A confusing and sometimes time consuming way to search files easily solved by the Command+F shortcut to bring up a global search box.
3. A very annoying method of overwriting all the contents of the open window which would not happen with Sherlock if the search results were shown in a separate window displayed in the traditional cascading list view like it SHOULD BE (Listening Bill?).

Bottom line is Apple needs an integrated search tool for MacOS X. I think they could borrow the few well intended (but still half assed) features that Windows posesses, fix them, integrate them into OSX, and ensure that their new operating system will be vastly superior to anything you can run on an x86 PC.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 08:01 AM

It'd be funny if Apple split up Sherlock. All that Sherlock originally was was a Find File box with another tab. And now, it's going back to its roots? Frankly, I like the idea of combining them into one app, just for the sake of convenience. Especially since Command-H for Search Internet doesn't work with OS X.

I have to agree that Sherlock 1 is better. With OS 9, Sherlock became A) ugly, B) slow, and C) the default box is huge, especially on older machines with lower monitor resolutions. (I assume 640 x 480 is lower, correct me if I'm wrong).

------------------
Graphite iMac DV/SE (400MHz, 128 MB RAM, DVD, 13GB HD)
Coming Up Next: 500MHz Titanium PowerBook G4!

Forum Links
Forum Rules