Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes/iTV has some competition. Microsoft launches HD movie downloads for Xbox 360.

iTunes/iTV has some competition. Microsoft launches HD movie downloads for Xbox 360.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 11:12 AM

Xbox Live Video hands-on

The 720p24 VC-1 videos are at ~6ish Mbps, which is similar to what Apple has for HD H.264 QuickTime videos. I'd bet that the VC-1 encoded videos are at least equal, or are better than those QuickTime clips.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 11:16 AM

thats pretty interesting. came out of nowhere too. how are the prices? plus, with iTV, can't i just stream stuff from my comp? like, stuff i downloaded or DVDs i own?
blah

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:16 AM

eww it only accepts those annoying Microsoft Points.
Dumb.
we don't have time to stop for gas

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 11:21 AM

Microsoft's service seems to dominate Apple's in just about every form except storage and those stupid points. Other than that, I'd say the edge is currently in M$'s favor.

What's the pricing structure?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:28 AM

oh and is this USA only?
we don't have time to stop for gas

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:29 AM

Price?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
thats pretty interesting. came out of nowhere too. how are the prices? plus, with iTV, can't i just stream stuff from my comp? like, stuff i downloaded or DVDs i own?
They aren't quite the same market of course, considering that an Xbox 360 + new hard drive is gonna cost more than iTV. OTOH, the Xbox 360 can stream from a PC (or perhaps eventually through Connect360).

I don't think it came out of nowhere. A lot of the console geeks (including myself) have been predicting a TV show/movie download store for the Xbox 360 for quite some time now. I'm just surprised it's in HD so early. I was predicting it would be SD, with just a few token HD releases initially. However, in retrospect maybe I shouldn't be that surprised. There's a good chance that iTV will have HD too methinks.

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
eww it only accepts those annoying Microsoft Points.
Dumb.
The points are stupid, but not a big deal. You can buy points right through the console with your credit card IIRC.

As for pricing, the HD stuff isn't going to be uber cheap, but it seems OK.

HD or SD TV show 240 points (3$)
SD Movie Rental 320 points (4$)
HD Movie Rental 480 points (6$)

The rental idea isn't the greatest, but then again, for movies I'd actually want to buy, I'd get them on HD DVD anyway.

In the meantime, Sony slams the Xbox 360 movie download service.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 11:35 AM

ohhh. its a RENTAL?

that sucks.
blah

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 11:35 AM

oh wait, some are rentals and some are purchases....eh. still dumb.
blah

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
ohhh. its a RENTAL?

that sucks.
Yeah, rental sucks, but then again, I'd rather pay $6 for a 720p24 6 Mbps VC-1 HD movie than an el crappo $9.99 H.264 Baseline Low Complexity Profile 1.5 Mbps pseudo-480p movie on iTunes.

However, like I said, if I really want the movie to keep, I'd pay $20 for a 1080p24 15 Mbps VC-1 HD DVD.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 11:48 AM

I wonder what the speed will be like for the download, because downloading demos is really slow.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 11:50 AM

As I said in the other thread, I didn't see this coming. Now I'm itching to go home and try it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Microsoft's service seems to dominate Apple's in just about every form except storage and those stupid points. Other than that, I'd say the edge is currently in M$'s favor.
How does it dominate, exactly? iTunes Store is far more popular, no? The only area where it has an edge is in being already connected to a TV.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:15 PM

I was wondering what took so long. This was the point of the XBox when it first came out. They have been trying to get into the set top box market for about 4-5 years. They tried the first time and never got of the ground then a year later came out with the XBox. That pretty much was their test market now all the pieces are there for the 360. Just evolution of their original plan, using the console as the trojan hors. Not that its a bad plan as I think it will work.

IMO Sony is the main competitor here, not Apple. The Zune is what competes with Apple. Sony is the one in the direct line of fire, and they better get it right or they are gonna be SOL this generation.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 12:21 PM

SONY'S RESPONSE
Sony has issued a statement criticizing its rival Microsoft's TV and movies announcement, arguing that it cuts out Core system users, who will not be able to store the content, thereby splitting the user-base.

Microsoft's TV and movie downloads are available to owners of the higher-priced (and more popular) version of Xbox 360, but not to Core system owners who do not have a hard drive. A spokesperson for Sony offered, "PlayStation 3's content is designed for everyone to enjoy right out of the box, no matter which configuration you purchase. We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system. Both PlayStation 3 versions available on November 17 include hard drives for downloading content."

PlayStation 3's content is designed for everyone to enjoy right out of the box, no matter which configuration you purchase.
Not really, since you don't get any sort of HD cables "out-of-the-box"

We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system.
Too bad your cheapest system is still $100 more then Microsoft's most expensive system. The core system isn't for people who go online. Everybody who is on line has a hard drive.

Sony needs to stop responding to this crap, because it just makes them sound bitter, petty and dumb.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:36 PM

The other problem with Sony is they have no announced movie download store at all, and I'd be surprised if they launch one in 2006.

But then again, who knows...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The other problem with Sony is they have no announced movie download store at all, and I'd be surprised if they launch one in 2006.

But then again, who knows...
Sony recently went on record saying that (I'll paraphrase) with XBox the online component is central to their market, while with PS3 Sony says it's a great entertainment box that also can go online. Unless Sony wakes up to what the market wants, we're not going to see serious competition for XBox live on the Ps3.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

Online there is no competition for Microsoft, by Sony, other than playing online with others for free. Honestly thats all I want... but not for $600.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:45 PM

For me, I never bought any videos from the iTS simply because of the resolution. Now, of course I can't get this stuff on my PSP, but right now I'd take HD material on my 360. Kudos to MS for getting this up and running.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sony recently went on record saying that (I'll paraphrase) with XBox the online component is central to their market, while with PS3 Sony says it's a great entertainment box that also can go online.
I have no idea what that means.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 12:46 PM

One thing I wanted to add - didn't Sony say that the PS2 was going to be the "central hub" of people's entertainment systems? I distinctly remember them saying that future expansions would allow you to download content (not game updates). This never happened, even after the HD shipped. THIS is what I pictured the PS2 doing when I read that.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
How does it dominate, exactly? iTunes Store is far more popular, no? The only area where it has an edge is in being already connected to a TV.
I was referring to the better quality, and yes, already being connected to a TV (which Apple has already stated that they want to do). Plus they have a rather massive installed user base now of people that (generally) have large disposable incomes. (I used to say that about people who had iPods, but it's not so much the case anymore, as the iPod is use by nearly every demographic at this point)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
One thing I wanted to add - didn't Sony say that the PS2 was going to be the "central hub" of people's entertainment systems? I distinctly remember them saying that future expansions would allow you to download content (not game updates). This never happened, even after the HD shipped. THIS is what I pictured the PS2 doing when I read that.
Oh yeah.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I wonder what the speed will be like for the download, because downloading demos is really slow.
Other than during E3 I always get my full internet connection of 3megs put to use when downloading things from XBL.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 01:16 PM

and after ya fill up the Xbox??? I wonder what ads or crap MS will attach to those downloads.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
I was referring to the better quality, and yes, already being connected to a TV (which Apple has already stated that they want to do). Plus they have a rather massive installed user base now of people that (generally) have large disposable incomes. (I used to say that about people who had iPods, but it's not so much the case anymore, as the iPod is use by nearly every demographic at this point)
Well, there are a lot of Xbox 360s out there, but it's not exactly what I would call "massive". There will be 10 million Xbox 360s out there by some time in 2006Q1, but that's worldwide, and a fair number of those don't have hard drives either.

Also, my guess is the download store will initially be US-only, although I hope I'm wrong.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 04:31 PM

I can see the Xbox giving Apple a good run for their money with the iTV. I'm still kinda wondering how that all is going to flush out.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I can see the Xbox giving Apple a good run for their money with the iTV. I'm still kinda wondering how that all is going to flush out.
Hopefully once iTV comes out Apple will up the quality...that's what's stopping me from buying The Office season ticket...I can buy the DVDs for about the same price and get...well...DVD quality.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:27 PM

For iTV, Apple needs to move to the Rental option as well. They also need to up the resolution on the videos/movies.

But, comparing this service to iTV isn't fair at this time. We know very little about iTV, and I have a feeling Apple won't disappoint when they release it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 06:40 PM

All the (iTV) has to do is record HDTV and include an upgradable hard drive for me. HD-DVR is what I'm hoping will be one of the main features, but I doubt it will happen.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 07:21 PM

Good start (that is, with HD offering), however, how is one going to store more then 2 full-lenght movies at a time on that 20GB drive? Um, never mind, MS will be offering a 100GB drive version soon.

Strupat
Nov 7, 2006, 07:55 PM

I don't understand why this is being compared to iTunes Store. It is effectively a media center for a TV. iTunes Store is not. I think this will be big... it is the most obvious next step for Live!.

With this, XNA, and Zune, Microsoft will see big success in the entertainment market.

Forum Links
Forum Rules